Competition Seal question - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Competition Seal question

Well, I feel badly now if that's the case - but honestly, I wasn't the only one. I remember submitting through the online system and it zeroing out the entry fee. I then paid the additional amount for the online critiques, and that is all I was charged. I kind of assumed that's just how it worked.

Nope. PPA goes in the hole every year for the IPC. It costs more to run the judging than it collects in entry fees. By the time you add up all the costs of flying in about 50-60 judges and jury chairmen and covering their hotel rooms, meals, etc for a full week - plus transporting all the equipment and the additional cost of the support staff - it costs a bunch of money to put it on - more than they collect in entry fees. It's been the same for many years - PPA loses money on the judging, but it is a vital part of what PPA is, so the association pays part of the expenses to run the judging out of it's operating budget every year. That's why they have to charge an entry fee - to cover some of those expenses.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 04-02-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Massarini View Post
    You got lucky - I wouldn't expect the same thing to happen this year... and i wouldn't want others to think that the entry for the IPC is free if you previously entered a District judging.
    I sealed 2 images entered digitally but did have to pay the entry fee for IPC. As you say, it must have been a glitch in the system.

Interesting, Ed. Well, I guess there must have been something off the day I registered. I know my friend and I registered within minutes of one another so I suspect the error was recognized shortly after we entered.

Rick - I certainly can understand the need for the fees. I just assumed that somehow the fee from districts supported the IPC since that amount got zeroed out on my invoice. I'm glad this discussion came up, b/c I wouldn't have known otherwise. So thank you for your continued contributions to this board. I'm so glad to have found it, it's been incredibly helpful!

The reason why I originally got involved with this forum is because a friend called me and told me that there was erroneous information about the (then) National Judging being posted here as fact. Since I've worked at the Judging for each of the last 17 years, I feel a little bit of "ownership" for it, and want to make sure that nothing incorrect is posted about it and how it works. Many people think that PPA makes a ton of money on the judging, but it really doesn't. In fact, a lot of the work is done by volunteers who come to the judging and work all week at their own expense to make it a success. I just have a good background on how it all works because I've been there so many times.

Well, it's good to have you here, and know we are getting accurate information!

Thanks again for your contributions.

So if the ones submitted digitally to SEPPA that merited "seal digitally," does that mean that we don't get anything tangible to show for it? No corners, no ribbons, nothing?
    Tracy, CPP
    Recording Secretary, VPPA State Board of Directors
    2015 VPPA Convention Chairman
    VPPA Tidewater District Treasurer

From things I have heard Tracy, you are correct. You may want to try and contact the Salon Chair and see if they will send you them. This is still new for Districts and I am not sure how much they have thought about ribbons for the digital images. No promises, but it may be worth the try if you want them.

As far as sealed digital images. I believe you will not re-upload them but you will pay your case fee. You MUST go thru the registration process in order for them to recieve the Merit and be considered for Loan.

Rick thanks for sharing all your info here! Much Appreciated!!
    Sarah L. Johnston, M. Photog. Cr., CPP, F-PPANI, PPA Juror

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops,
    PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!

in the beautiful mountains of western NC.

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful knowledge. I appreciate it. I dont think I will risk it and just send all of them on. I received a 93 for one of them so I hope it goes Loan. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Allen View Post
    ... I dont think I will risk it and just send all of them on. I received a 93 for one of them so I hope it goes Loan. Thanks again.
    If it scored a 93 at District, you'll probably have a pretty good shot at a Loan - but it's not a sure thing - Loan is all about Impact - I know someone who got a 100 at a District judging and the print did NOT go Loan...