Competition Seal question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

in the beautiful mountains of western NC.

Default Competition Seal question

I sent all my prints to SEPPA digitally and they all merited. Can they be sealed "digitally" and sent on to Nationals? How does that work with digital submissions? This was my first time entering and I need some guidance.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Competition Seal question

Yes, they will all be digitally sealed You'll get an email from ppa once registration opens up to forward the images on to IPC

Congrats!!

in the beautiful mountains of western NC.

Thank you!

Congrats on going 4 for 4!

Congratulations on sealing all four images. I wouldn't wait for a personal email invitation to forward your images to the IPC. You'll probably get a mass notice of the competition dates and then you'll have to go to the PPA web site and enter the competition. When you go into YOUR IPC entry form, you will find the entries that you entered at the District judging still there. You can then pay your entry fee and choose to submit the same images to the IPC that you entered into your District judging. The images that were sealed at the District judging will be coded as being sealed, so you can then choose to submit them to the IPC. Also, if you feel that you have an image that might stand a better chance of going Loan than one of your sealed entries, you always have the option of "busting" that seal and choose to upload another image - you will probably choose to "take the birds in the hand instead of going for the two in the bush", but I just wanted you to know your options. Just be aware that the images are not automatically forwarded to the IPC unless you do it. If you do not send your images to the IPC, you do not get the merits. Congratulations again !!!
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 04-02-2012 at 09:41 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

This would be great information to include in the IPC Rules, or somewhere on the website's Competition Pages. I had the same question about submitting digital images that merited in my District Competition. Thanks.

Rick - If my memory serves, I got a personalized e-mail. But yes, he could wait till registration opens and do as you suggested as well.

Not sure if it was a mistake, but I did not have to pay an additional entry fee to forward my digital images on to IPC last year, and I even replaced two of them.

I think you remember incorrectly - IPC is a separate competition from the Districts and requires an additional entry fee. Just because the image sealed at a District doesn't get it a free entry into the IPC. The entry fees paid to enter the District competition goes to the Regional Association that is hosting the judging to pay for the judges expenses - airfares, hotel rooms, meals, etc - PPA collects the fees for the Regional, and keeps a small commission for handling the digital image registration, recording the scoring, and pays for the PPA support staff who have to be there to help run the judging. The fees that are paid to enter the IPC cover part of the costs of conducting the IPC competition and pay the judges costs, airfares, hotel fees, meals, etc. If you did not pay a separate fee to enter the IPC last year, there must have been some kind of mistake in your favor and you came out ahead...
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 04-02-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Rick, I can assure you I am 100% positive that I did not have to pay an additional entry fee. The only thing I wasn't 100% sure about was whether or not it was a personal email or mass email that told me to go to my account on the website.

I assure you, I paid no additional entry fee and remember being surprised. The only additional fee I paid was $35 or so for the critique.

And the same happened for another friend that submitted digitally as well. I remember it specifically b/c we were both fully expecting to pay a fee again, and were surprised when we didn't have to.

So maybe it was a glitch in the system, a mistake, I don't know? But it zeroed out my entry fee to IPC last year.