so close, so close and yet so far....

Default so close, so close and yet so far....

(excuse the Franki Valli song reference in the title, although I doubt any got it, lol! )

alrighty, this image here was my last minute throw in. It scored a 79 at districts, which is higher than I thought it would. I need opinions on whether I can ever work it up to make it merit?

It definitely needs more separation on the shoulder on the left side. I really should've had another light over there. I also don't like the lack of separation along the bottom of his arms. Is this workable? I darkened up the background in PS which is when I really lost the separation.

Tell it to me straight. I'll find something else if I have to.

I really wanted to title this "stop the insanity", lol. But I didn't want the judges to envision Susan Powter
    Amy Feick CPP

Default Re: so close, so close and yet so far....

Do you have any more area on the sides of the image - like the rest of her arms up to her elbows? The dark bottom plus the hands coming in gave me a strange feeling when I first viewed it. Maybe include the arms back to the bend in the elbows...
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

FWIW, I "read" the title hearing Frankie Valley's intonation.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

I heard Frankie Valley there too when I first read this post this morning and thanks for making that song get stuck in my head all day. LOL.
    That's better than the theme song for my submissions this year "Swing low sweet chariot".

do you know how happy it makes me to know that you guys heard Franki there too? I grew up loving Franki Valli

Rick- I do have more of his arms in the original image. Let me see what I come up with. This is my son, but that isn't swaying my opinion on the image. Although, he was VERY excited to be able to hang the print and the ribbon in his bedroom
    Amy Feick CPP

Hi Amy. I don't know that you need much more arm. Maybe just to the inside bend of the elbow. A couple of things for me would be, yes the under parts of his arms the blacks look blocked up. No separation. If you can make the separation that will help. Also his skin looks ruddy, uneven, almost blotchy.
    Sarah L. Johnston, M. Photog. Cr., CPP, F-PPANI, PPA Juror

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops,
    PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!

Even more than the separation issues, the dominate eye on the left bothers me. What about a horizontal flip? Not sure if they would help, but thought it worth mentioning...
    CK McDaniel, Cr Photog., CPP
    Because Photographers have a BETTER IMAGE ...
    www.StudioEnVogue.com

I tried the image with his full arms, but I don't like it that way.

Sarah, his skin is a little freckly, I think that is what it is. I can fix that, but I'm not really sure I can overcome the separation.

Most likely I just find something else. I didn't expect this to get a 79 (I was expecting no higher than 77) but I'm not sure I can squeak that extra point out of it.

Either way my lil' guy is excited and gets to hang it in his bedroom with it's 'cool ribbon' :0)
    Amy Feick CPP

At the end of the day THAT is what counts. You made someones day. Do you think he would be up for a reshoot? use kicker lights and experiment some. You may get something you like even better!!
    Sarah L. Johnston, M. Photog. Cr., CPP, F-PPANI, PPA Juror

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops,
    PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!

I would love to Sarah, but we cut his hair a couple weeks ago. It just doesn't have the same effect
    Amy Feick CPP