entry question: prints and digital in same "case"?

Default entry question: prints and digital in same "case"?

I had always heard you had to enter prints OR digital files and you couldn't mix 'in a case'. Anyone know for sure? An IPC judge that I know said they were allowed to mix last year.
    Tracye Gibson, M. Photog.
    www.Tracye.smugmug.com
    Talent is the ability to do hard work in a consistently constructive direction over a long period of time" - James Whistler

Default Re: entry question: prints and digital in same "case"?

from the Northeast district rules:

"Entrants may submit either prints (photographic or press printed images presented for judging under lights) or digital submissions (digital files presented for judging on a monitor), or a combination of either entry type."

I'm sure they are the same elsewhere.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Thanks Mark! Seems like they should be one or the other (If you are going to go to the expense to ship a case anyway...) but good to know. May do digital if I go with restorations for my Artists entry, but if I have some original art I will def use prints too.
    www.Tracye.smugmug.com
    Talent is the ability to do hard work in a consistently constructive direction over a long period of time" - James Whistler

Well, the cost of one competition print is greater than the cost of shipping, so I can see only using prints for the ones that most benefit from being printed.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge

Quote Originally Posted by TracyeGibson View Post
    Seems like they should be one or the other (If you are going to go to the expense to ship a case anyway...)
    At the IPC, there are people who have entered and sealed one or two of the images in their case digitally at a District judging, then decide to go with prints for the rest of their case at the IPC - thus the need to be able to split the case - part digital and part prints.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Thanks guys! I print my own images so I wasn't even thinking about how expensive getting 'competition grade' images done at labs is. I personally really hate digital entries. Part of the point of print competition is not only to learn from your mistakes but from what other people did right. Those digital entries in the slide show just flash by too fast to study. I don't even bother unless I am walking by and something happens to catch my eye. Sad really. Some of the fabulous images are never seen unless someone buys the Loan book and even then they are so small its hard to tell anything.
    www.Tracye.smugmug.com

Wow Mark where do you get your printed? LOL There was a day when a really nice competition image would cost well over $100. to have artworked and produced. Now you can do your own art and print and mount for around $35 on up. Now there are people out there that will do it all for you of course but you will pay for it.
    What I like about entering printed images is the print show at IUSA. Like Tracye said the slide show does not give you the time to really study your favorite images. Examine how it was posed or lit. Soak in the angles, color harmony. Learn from it. No prints entered.....no print show. So I promote PRINTS!
    Sarah L. Johnston, M. Photog. Cr., CPP, F-PPANI, PPA Juror

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops,
    PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!