Sealed images - next steps?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sealed images - next steps?

I had three images earn a 'seal' at SWPPA. I am new to competition and a little unsure of the submission process and the rules from last year aren't answering some of my questions.

For SWPPA I just entered digitally. So, I don't have a physical print....I am assuming that if I would have entered an actual print that the prints that earned seals would have had some type of seal placed on it correct?? If so, how do they 'seal' digital entries?

When I submit my entries to nationals, how do they know that my prints earned that seal? I just want to make sure that I wasn't supposed to have gotten something in the mail or paperwork that I will need to submit.

Next question....I entered digitally at SWPPA....can I now enter actual prints at IPA? My first competition, you know I'll want to go take my pic standing next to my prints if they are displayed.

Default Re: Sealed images - next steps?

When you register for IPC, your record will show your images and there will be a notation by three of them that they sealed at SWPPA. You will need to confirm these three images to go on to IPC. You CAN withdraw them and substitute actual prints, but that is called "breaking the seal" and those three prints would no longer automatically get merits, they would have to go through the thumbs up/down judging for a merit. Unless you think you can make changes to the images that would improve their chances of going loan, I'd just go ahead and forward them through as digital entries to IPC so that you are guaranteed three merits. They will then go straight to the loan panel and be judged for inclusion/exclusion for the Loan Collection.

Your 4th image that did not seal can still be forwarded as is, or you may remove it from your list of images and enter a new one. Your replacement image can be either print or digital, it doesn't have to be digital just because the other three are.

Yes, prints will have an actual seal on the back of them - it's just a special sticker with the signature of the jury chairman. The digital files have a notation recorded with them in your member record, so there is no physical seal for you to worry about.

There's nothing you will have gotten in the mail - all the info is recorded within the database that PPA has.

I hope this clears things up for you.
    Christine Walsh-Newton, M. Photog., Cr., CPP
    Ohio CPP Liaison

Website Blog

Quote Originally Posted by MindyHarmon View Post
    I had three images earn a 'seal' at SWPPA. I am new to competition and a little unsure of the submission process and the rules from last year aren't answering some of my questions.

For SWPPA I just entered digitally. So, I don't have a physical print....I am assuming that if I would have entered an actual print that the prints that earned seals would have had some type of seal placed on it correct?? If so, how do they 'seal' digital entries?
    Digital files are "sealed" digitally. The file that you sent to SWPPA are still in the PPA computer. These files are now marked as being sealed in the PPA computer system.

When I submit my entries to nationals, how do they know that my prints earned that seal? I just want to make sure that I wasn't supposed to have gotten something in the mail or paperwork that I will need to submit.
    When it is time to enter the IPC, when you log into the PPA computer system, the files you entered into SWPPA will still be there under your name. The sealed files will be marked as being sealed. To enter these files into the IPC, you just tell the computer that you want to enter that file, and that file is entered. If you want to enter a different file, you can upload the new files at that time replacing the ones that did not receive seals. You can also choose to "bust" the seal of the sealed files if you believe that a different file or a modified version of that file might stand a better chance of going Loan. If you "bust your seal" the automatic merit goes away, and the file must then be judged for merit. You cannot modify the file and maintain the seal. if you change the file in any way, the seal is "busted" and your automatic merit is forfieted.

Next question....I entered digitally at SWPPA....can I now enter actual prints at IPA? My first competition, you know I'll want to go take my pic standing next to my prints if they are displayed.
    You can enter prints, but if you enter prints at the IPC, your seals are "busted" and your print starts all over again being judged for merit. The images that were sealed digitally need to be submitted digitally to the IPC. You can swap out prints for the ones that did not receive seals if you wish and not lose anything since they would have to be judged for acceptance anyway. You cannot substitute a print for a sealed file at the IPC. If you send in a print, that seal is "busted" and your print starts over again in the "For Merit" judging room.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Congrats on the 3 seals!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Sharp View Post
    Congrats on the 3 seals!
    what Ed said. Great job!!!
    Amy Feick CPP

Christine and Rick - Thanks so much for the informative replies. That is exactly the information that I was needing.

I definitely do not want to break any seals, so I will just leave them as digital submissions for sure.

So, for the 4th image that did not seal.....I do not have to replace that with a different image correct? It scored a 77, and I am pretty sure that I know some of the reasons why. I think that I could probably rework it. Is just reworking the same image ok?

Thanks Amy and Ed!

Mindy - absolutely you can rework the same image that did not seal and then submit the new version. When it is time to do IPC submissions, just delete the 4th image and replace it with the reworked file and you're good to go.
    Christine Walsh-Newton, M. Photog., Cr., CPP
    Ohio CPP Liaison

Website Blog

Awesome....thanks again Christine!

Congrats Mindy! 3 seals is fantastic!