Competition Image Review

Default Competition Image Review

Comments on this image
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Competition Image Review

please leave comments whether you like or not

I can't give you any real input regarding competition - I'm struggling with it myself, but I like this image. It has a very classical feel to it. Sorry I'm not more help.
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

Thank you Angela, I am those last two points away.

Sally, glad you've posted this here. Give it a bit for someone to say something...we have many who are very good with competition critiques but they don't always come here every day. I KNOW you want to get this done already and maybe someone will give a good critique soon.

I'm going to be quiet, I don't want anyone looking at the issues we talked about earlier.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

I like the image, it is very classic looking with the classical frame border background, and the draping. The posing of the lady is classical with good posing of the front hand, but with a somewhat stiff pose - and she is looking away from the camera and not making eye contact, nor are her eyes visible at all as she appears to be looking downward. Is she looking at the harp? I can't tell in this image size. The image might be stronger if she were to have a little more flow or motion to her pose, or placed in a position where she was interacting with the harp or playing it, so that the image had some story telling qualities. The lighting on her face looks strange - the lighting is from camera right, while the subject is facing left - this throws a hard shadow of her hair on her left cheek, the one facing the camera. The side of her nose facing the camera is the brightest spot in the image. Her nose just jumps out and grabs my attention - not her face, just her nose. The image might be stronger if the lighting were to be brought in from the opposite side behind the harp and into the front of her face instead of the back of her hair, or maybe if the head were to be turned into the light instead of away from it. Hope this helps - JMHO
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

I see some distracting shadows on the background plus the area behind her head & shoulders looks very hot.

Rick and D. Craig, Thanks for looking at my images. I originally shot this and had the stool in the photo, people hated the stool, there like take it out. I had done her looking at the camera, but eveyone liked her looking at the harp. I also did a photo of her sitting down playing it, but everyone in my critique group loved the standing photo better, as the elegant dress showed off. I had original done it with a main and a fill and two side lights and a kicker hair light. Everyone said my lighting was too flat. So I went to a main, with a side light kicker, hairlight and background light. I have worked so hard on this image and just am so close on my masters degree, I would just like this to get above 80, do you think this print can do that? Sally

I think that it will be a borderline image - high 70's, but the bright nose, stiff pose and detached look may keep it out of the 80's - but that's just my opinion, of course. Do you have a title for the image? Something that can explain the detached feeling that I get when first looking at the image? The eyes looking towards the harp just don't do anything for me. I don't get a feeling for who this young lady is - it's like I'm looking at a commercial image selling the dress or selling the harp and the girl is just a prop. I have no problems with the shadows in the background or the brightness of the area behind her head, in fact, I see no badly placed shadows, only trees painted on the canvas behind her - but that really bright left side of her nose just keeps grabbing my attention.
    I believe that if her head had been turned back towards the light, producing a short lit face, and providing the classic S curve shape to her body along with the classical feel of the image, this would easily go into the merit category.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 03-04-2012 at 05:02 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Do you all like this image better?
    Attached Images Attached Images