Quick question re: case / box
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quick question re: case / box

In searching for information on this forum, I read that some of you elect to submit your "case" in just a cardboard box rather than the case (obviously with the risk that your prints would ultimately come back damaged or not at all?)

I do not have a case, and am having a hard time justifying the cost, so am considering going this route... can someone tell me more about using just a box?

Is there any other reason to use (or not to use) just a cardboard box to ship? How does that effect any possibly sealed images getting forwarded on to IPC?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Quick question re: case / box

And in re-reading the district rules, it specifically says the entries must be sent in a case... So maybe I misread about people using boxes?

Spend the money for a good case. I have three, and they've all lasted me, so far, well over 10 years. One I got from PPA (not available anymore) that is a hard case with grip twist-locking latches (16x20). The other two are 20x24 Tamrac cases, rigid, with ballistic nylon. All are foam protected. Well worth the $200, or so.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

You can also ask around about buying a used case. I have 3 cases in mint condition that I purchased for $100 each from 3 different people. It seems to be the going rate when you can find them.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Thanks so much for your replies! I just ordered a case from Adorama. After thinking about it, mostly for the reasons you mentioned, it just made the most sense.

I'm nervous to print now though! But I feel like this will give my entries a better chance over the digital format (which I did last year).

one other question - I had to get a 20x24 case, but had plans to print all my submissions as 16x20's.... any suggestions on how to pad the prints within the case wince I'll have extra room?

Thanks so much!

Most of the cases have foam rubber 1/4" sheets that go between each print. It should hold everything just fine.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

thanks so much for your reply, Michael!

Remember to turn your prints in the case too. Doing this will help to hold them firmly in place. In other words make sure at least 3 sides of your prints are against the padded edges and use the foam dividers as mentioned earlier.

I almost forgot... Welcome to the world of print competition. It's very rewarding and addictive.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Thanks for the tip Greg - that's what I was thinking too. I will probably get a piece of foam at a craft store to stick on the end too if I feel like it needs it.

And thanks for the welcome as well - I agree, it is addicting. I submitted digitally last year and had to come back for more this year!