What's working for your affiliate? Or not? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What's working for your affiliate? Or not?

Our remote viewing(Sports Bar) was on a different floor of the hotel so we couldn't hear them in the judging area. Nudes received the same reaction as other images because people were more concerned with nailing down the right score. We heard nothing but praise so we will be doing this every year.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

We would have liked to have had our Sports Bar in another area - possibly in our hospitality room - but we couldn't make the logistics work last year. Jeff has souped up his system and it apparently worked very well at your convention - so this year we may be able to move it up to the 24th floor - or pretty much anywhere else in the hotel we want. The same guy handled the software for your event as did ours for the last few years - Jeff Burton with Proofcast.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Yeah, Jeff's a great guy and he worked his tail off. He was working the bugs out of the system from the new upgrades and did an impressive job at keeping people from noticing.

We also had a large following on the web throughout the judging and many of those became members just so they could participate in the competitions and reviews we have throughout the year that are also broadcast live.
    Greg Yager CPP

Does Jeff from Proofcast also webcast the print competition as an option? Did you find his fees to be reasonable? I remember Ralph mentioning his services at the last month's affiliate meeting at Imaging, and I was hoping Jeff would have been at the trade show but I couldn't find him. I think it's time we give him a call and chat

WOW thanks for all you responses. I posted this on a week where we are leading up to our yearly Convention, so did not get right back to the thread. Thanks to those who PM'd me willing to talk on the phone I will take you up on that.

For those who have monthly meetings-whats the content? Is it speakers or just social? Thats something I have always wanted in our org, more frequent meetups but know the manpower needed to make it happen isnt always available.
    Cathy Broderick, CPP, Choco-holic

Cat,
    I have always thought that there was not reason why NH, MA and ME could not create a speaker circuit like they do in LA and TN for monthly meetings. We are near 200 members and for $120 a member receives two full day conferences, 10 monthly meetings, a 4 day convention and a print case. Currently we pay no one to be part of our board.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Cat - at AzPPA, our monthly meetings consist of approximately 2 hour seminars (usually 7PM-9PM, with 6-7PM for the social hour before the seminar begins) and each month is a different topic. We host both local speakers as well as national speakers, and each month is a different focus so all members find something they are looking for.

We cover basically everything - technical topics, financial/business, hands-on, marketing, wedding, portrait, commercial (we have had a joint meeting with ASMP), you name it. We survey our membership after each meeting and track the attendance of members, guests, first-timers, etc. in our database and once a year during a Board meeting we review the popular topics and use that to help create our calendar for the following year.

Our monthly meetings also have a mentor program that members can sign up for in advance. It is a 20 minute session (typically with a master photographer in our association) where they can ask any questions they want. We also hold orientation meetings for all guests prior to each month meeting, which we have found to be extremely helpful in making the guests feel welcome and converting them to members.

We typically have our speaker lineup already scheduled a year in advance. This is important so that we advertise during our membership renewal drive at the end of the year what is coming up for the following year. It also allows us to have a postcard that we hand out at each meeting to guests that show our entire year speaker calendar, all upcoming specials events, and we include a long list of benefits that they receive when they become a member.

Different affiliates exist for different reasons. Some exist soley for an annual convention, others have several meetings a year, and others such as us have monthly meetings PLUS an annual convention (which is a separate fee). Also each state has different setups with some having multiple affiliates, some with a 'state' chapter and then local chapters as well, etc. We are the only PPA affiliate in Arizona, so we handle it all. Our main reason for existence however is the monthly meetings - the personal touch and friendship that our membership experience because of the monthly meetings is vital to our existence.

Everyone is a volunteer in the organization (except the Executive Director that gets paid a monthly stipend). In case you are curious, our membership is $225/yr (includes the monthly meetings at no additional charge which we hold at a local hotel and includes snacks, 2 print critiques we hold each year, and studio tours). The membership fee does not cover all-day seminars (which we have several per year), fall-festival (a 2 day outing in some locale in AZ), or our annual convention which is typically $149 for a 2-3 day convention.

I would be glad to share with you any other information which could be helpful.
    Bob Zimmerlich, CPP
    ClickChick Photography
    VP Arizona PPA

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Dachowski View Post
    I have always thought that there was not reason why NH, MA and ME could not create a speaker circuit like they do in LA and TN for monthly meetings.
    I would beg to speak on that circuit.

Our membership is $39/year. Our Main conference costs around $180 to attend and we get $99 rooms in an incredible hotel. We also have a Summer School that is around $99 to attend. We have three print comps throughout the year and all are broadcast live. We also record all of the classes and have them archived on our website for viewing any time. By doing the math you can see that the bulk of our cash flow comes from the conferences and sold out trade shows. I have been to several conferences in the past two years and ours is by far the most upbeat.

It's very much like hosting a rock concert. Put together a really good lineup of entertaining speakers, work with your tradeshow vendors to have them advertise through their e-mail contacts, and make sure you have arrangements to feed a large crowd. We had some issues in the food dept because of timing. When 600+ people walk out of a 2 hour class hungry and the hotel restaurant only seats 100 and everything else is closed it can be chaos.
    Greg Yager CPP

Greg, how do you arrange the copyright aspects of recording the classes with the speakers? We have looked into this as an added benefit to our membership, but a number of concerns have been raised regarding the speaker copyrights, images being shown by the speaker, etc. etc.
    Bob Zimmerlich, CPP
    ClickChick Photography
    VP Arizona PPA

We obtain a release from the speaker for member use only. I think it's incorporated into the original contract. The images they are projecting are theirs(or at least they darn well better be) and are covered under the same release. It's a huge benefit for members like me and my wife because we are working continuously throughout the conferences. We love helping out and by being able to view the presentations later it frees us up to do many jobs, all of which we love.
    Greg Yager CPP