What's working for your affiliate? Or not?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Arrow What's working for your affiliate? Or not?

I am the President for PPA of Massachusetts and since this area is for discussion-lets start one.

What's working in your state? What's not? Is membership down or up? How many members do you have? How many events do you offer your members per year?

Our Annual Convention is next week and we were disappointed in low print case turnout. Our membership stands at just about 100 right now but many of our members renew at Convention so we have a better picture next week.

It seemed online forums had taken over as the way to learn, thus reducing membership in person to person organizations. But this past year it seems that even the forums have slowed way down and now facebook groups are all the rage. I don't find them to be as user friendly or as helpful as forums so I am hoping to see a resurgence in actual groups.

If you agree-what are steps you are taking/have taken towards that end?
    Cathy Broderick, CPP, Choco-holic

Default Re: What's working for your affiliate? Or not?

Wisconsin is following someone else's lead and having a "party" in a different room during print judging with images being piped into that party room. There will be scoring contests to see who can get closest to the final score. I don't know details yet.

Hands-on shooting is helpful.

Keep an eye on Wisconsin's convention next weekend.

Also, check out what David Ziser to some state convention and turned it into "ProPhoto Expo". Don't know all the details but it was massive.

Cat, we just had our state convention (Arizona) a few weeks ago and it was successful, but we are always looking for ways to increase attendees, membership, revenue, etc. I'm the current chairperson for 2013 convention and the incoming President for AzPPA.

At the last several affiliate leadership meetings that were held (with PPA as the gracious host), we were able to share a lot of great ideas with other affiliates around the country in person. If you (or another leader from your chapter) has a chance to attend the next affiliate leadership meeting I would highly recommend it.

To answer your question about what events we hold for our membership, we have approximately 130 members, and we hold monthly meetings, bi-annual print critiques, annual convention, fall festival (multi-day workshop), studio tours, and a number of all-day seminars throughout the year. We keep our membership quite busy

As Fuzzy mentioned, there are a few affiliates that have been doing some very interesting things with print competition - separate viewing rooms with a party atmosphere, digital presentations, etc. - to add excitement and hopefully get more attendees to get involved in the competition process. We are looking to implement these ideas into our convention in 2013. In speaking with David Trust, he offered to have his team assist with specifications on digital print viewing so that we can be 'in sync' with regional and international specifications where possible.

Fuzzy - do you have any additional information on what David has been doing with the 'ProPhoto Expo'? I"m very interested to learn more about it.

Also, check out what David Ziser to some state convention and turned it into "ProPhoto Expo". Don't know all the details but it was massive.
    ProPhoto Expo? That's California's Convention and they've had that name for over 15 years.

California's convention, I believe, is the largest state convention in the country. The ProPhoto Expo is the Trade show part, and Western States Convention is the program side. In the past 6 years, it has drawn an average of 125 vendors and about 3500 attendees, and has been a major "pillar" of PP California.

The real change happened when the board of directors, and the convention committee, focused on experience, rather than benefits. If you try to market your convention based on education and print comp, you will get little or no interest. Ask anyone about Texas school, "what's great about Texas School", and I've found that a majority of the answers are "the parties"! Very few say "the education".

That's why the idea of a "sports bar" during print comp on a "closed circuit" television is a wonderful idea started by PP Louisiana. It's the experience, not the print comp. And by the way, you learn about the print competition process at the same time.

Think in terms of why many of you buy Apple products. They managed to turn customer control into a wonderful user experience. Think about it. Everything in apple is proprietary, and they made it the best feature as to why you should buy their products!

Cat, if you want to PM me, I can give you a few suggestions. I've just consulted PP Maine and PPANE for a bit to help them with a few ideas to make some positive changes to their associations.

This has been my personal mission as a PPA Board member. I really believe that the affiliates need to be strengthened so that PPA will have a better supply of future leaders.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Cat,
    I am a member of the PhotoProNetwork that Fuzzy mentioned and have worked closely with David over this past year building it to what it is today which is massive. Here are some stats from our convention a few weeks ago.

1. PhotoPro Expo 2012 was the LARGEST regional photographic event in the USA with over 1,000 - yes – over 1,000 photographers in attendance!
    2. PhotoPro Expo 2012 was the fourth largest photographic convention in the country!
    3. PhotoPro Expo 2012’s trade-show was also the largest regional trade show in the country and the largest in the Midwest.
    4. PhotoPro Expo 2012 hosted photographers from 25 states and Canada – the first time ever a regional convention had such a geographic diversity!
    5. The speaker lineup - Scott Kelby, Vincent LaForet, Jerry Ghionis, et. al. rocked the house with huge crowds for all programs – even those beginning at 7:30 a.m. Jerry Ghionis brought down the house Saturday morning with a standing ovation from a 625+ crowd!
    6. We awarded the PhotoPro Expo attendees more dollars in Door Prizes than any photographic convention in the country, if not the world – over $25,000 at last count!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    7. PhotoPro Expo 2012 was the first fully juried photographic print competition to go “LIVE” - broadcasting over the internet to all the states in the union and dozens of country’s around the world – including the Federated States of Micronesia – yes, they were listening to us in the middle of the Pacific ocean!!!

Last year we had a little 300 in attendance. There is no single thing that made this happen. It was a combination of efforts that each did their own part in adding to the success. We are still the KPPA(Kentucky Professional Photographers Assn) but we dropped our borders to do business as the PhotoProNetwork. This has made us more of a regional influence and as you can see the region was hungry for it.

If you want you can call me and I will gladly fill you in on how we made it happen.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Michael, AzPPA would love to hear any advice you can provide to us in how to improve our state convention attendance, enhance attendee experience,etc. I agree, just as photographers we sell the experience as much as quality, our association needs to do the same. Any advice would be greatly appreciated - either on this forum or if you prefer by PM. Thanks Michael.

Great Robert! Love to help. PM sent
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Gan View Post
    That's why the idea of a "sports bar" during print comp on a "closed circuit" television is a wonderful idea started by PP Louisiana. It's the experience, not the print comp. And by the way, you learn about the print competition process at the same time.
    Yes, we started the PPLA "Sports Bar" two years ago when I was PPLA President. It wasn't my idea but I wish it was. The idea came from our PPLA Secretary, Ralph Romaguera, Jr. - he proposed it, it sounded like a blast, the board approved it and the rest is history - it was a GREAT experience for the attendees. They could cut up and hoot and holler and have a great time during the print competition and it was all OK ! No one whispering for them to be quiet, there was a cash bar, everyone had a great time. The noise from the other room threw the judges for a while until they understood what we were doing there, but once they understood what the noise was all about, they were fine with it. I'm happy to hear that other affiliates have picked up on the idea. It's a sure thing to add the excitement back into print competition - last year - the second year we held it - the "Sports Bar" was packed and the number of print competition entries were up.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 02-22-2012 at 09:57 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Rick, Shirley and photographed a sexy portrait of the two of us (she's sexy, I'm not) and wanted to enter it, but instead of the full frontal image, I chose a more conservative (tightly cropped) version of it because I was afraid of this party atmosphere and the possible embarrassment. I've never been to this kind of judging. Is there respect for adult images or is there elbowing and "Yeah baby!" comments when nudes come around?
    Last edited by Fuzzy_Duenkel; 02-22-2012 at 10:37 PM.

I guess it will all depend upon the crowd. At PPLA, it was fun, a bit loud, but it was still kept professional. Most of the noise was around the participants trying to out judge the judges and predict what the final score would be. There would be moaning when everyone missed the score and there would be cheering when someone hit the score on the nose. The "Sports Bar" was in a room across the hall from the judging room which was still just a bit too close, so the judges could hear the noise, but we had issues in piping the audio to a room on another floor, so we had to hold it where we could run wires for the speakers so that the judges comments could be heard in the "Sports Bar". Our convention was held in New Orleans, so nudity is pretty commonplace so if any nudes did come up, they were pretty much just taken at face value and just judged. There wasn't anything shown in the judging that anyone couldn't see more of just a few block walk away. In a more conservative town, you might get a different reaction, so those in charge of the room may need to make an announcement about having it be fun, but keeping it professional too.

How many "Yeah Baby"s you might get depends on how many ladies you have in the room and just how sexy you look in the photo...
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 02-23-2012 at 01:04 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman