MEI - Master of Electronic Imaging

Hybrid View

Default MEI - Master of Electronic Imaging

I did not know how or where to start on working towards Master of Electronic Imaging MEI. I know that you have to have a total of 25 merits. 13 of them have to come from entering the International Eletronic category of PPA International Photographic Competition, or entering the PPA District Eletronic Imaging Competition. Also obtaining 12 more, is that from attending PPA paid webinars, classes and other live events or is there more to do to get the needed merits towards MEI.

Any guideance or advice that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: MEI - Master of Electronic Imaging

Quote Originally Posted by aliis1214 View Post
    I did not know how or where to start on working towards Master of Electronic Imaging MEI. I know that you have to have a total of 25 merits. 13 of them have to come from entering the International Eletronic category of PPA International Photographic Competition, or entering the PPA District Eletronic Imaging Competition. Also obtaining 12 more, is that from attending PPA paid webinars, classes and other live events or is there more to do to get the needed merits towards MEI.

Any guideance or advice that can be provided will be greatly appreciated.
    Michael, your info is not quite correct.

The Master of Electronic Imaging degree has been replaced by the (revived) Master Artist degree title. There is no longer a Master of Electronic Imaging degree except for a few individuals who were already well along the road to the MEI and already had their Master Artist degree when the degree title was changed (special consideration was made for those so that they wouldn't receive the Master Artist degree twice).

For the Master Artist degree (the old MEI degree) you must have 25 PPA merits 13 of which must come from accepted entries in the PPA Electronic Imaging competition. The Electronic Imaging and Photographic Open competitions are two completely separate competitions. Merits from images entered electronically as files in the Photographic Open competition are NOT applicable towards the Master Artist Degree - they apply towards the Master of Photography degree.

The Master of Photography degree is awarded for 25 merits 13 of which must be Exhibition merits from entries in the PPA Photographic Open competition. These merits can be from images entered as prints or electronic files and include images from the Portrait, Wedding, Wedding Album and Commercial categories.

For all of the degrees, the 13 core merits must be of the type that apply specifically towards that degree, the remaining merits can be of any type.

Master of Photography - 13 Photographic Open Exhibition Merits, 12 Additional Merits.
    Master Artist or Master of Electronic Imaging - 13 Electronic Imaging Exhibition Merits, 12 Additional Merits
    Photographic Craftsman - 13 Speaking Merits, 12 Additional merits

In all cases, the Additional merits can be exhibition, speaking, or service merits
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 02-14-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Thank you Rick, this will help me in deciding on which way I should go.

Michael,

There isn't a one direction or the other. The Photographic Open and Electronic Imaging Competitions are two separate competitions. You can enter both at the same time if you wish. You can enter one case of 4 images into Photographic Open and another case of 4 images into the Electronic Imaging competition and work on both degrees at the same time - you can enter a total of 8 images in the two different competitions in the same year. Have you entered both competitions? Do you have merits in either or both yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Massarini View Post
    Michael,

There isn't a one direction or the other. The Photographic Open and Electronic Imaging Competitions are two separate competitions. You can enter both at the same time if you wish. You can enter one case of 4 images into Photographic Open and another case of 4 images into the Electronic Imaging competition and work on both degrees at the same time - you can enter a total of 8 images in the two different competitions in the same year. Have you entered both competitions? Do you have merits in either or both yet?
    Nither yet Rick, to be honest I feel that I need to work on my competitions pics first. I have been shooting in one style so long that I feel that my pics would get lost in the shuffle if I submit them. However I have been working on other styles that I was thinking about submitting, but again still not confidient on my artistic style to submit the pics. In the end I am a big chicken when it comes to competitions.

Just dive in ! If you're holding back because you're concerned with others hassling you about not hanging any prints at the IPC your first time around, remember that they only post the names of the images that hung - so if you enter and don't hang any, the only person that knows that is you. They don't publish the names of the images that were not accepted.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Massarini View Post
    Just dive in ! If you're holding back because you're concerned with others hassling you about not hanging any prints at the IPC your first time around, remember that they only post the names of the images that hung - so if you enter and don't hang any, the only person that knows that is you. They don't publish the names of the images that were not accepted.
    Oh, I was not aware of that, maybe over the next couple of days I will think of what I want to enter. For months I have ideas of the pictures that I wanted to submit but was to chicken to do so. Thank you Rick!