Creating for next time ...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Creating for next time ...

Hi group;

I know it's a busy time of year and print competition is furthest from your minds. But, when you are creating portraits, covering weddings, or any other images ... keep competition in your minds. If you have good subjects, or a great location, create a few images just for you. If a child's, or senior's, parents only want close-ups at that great location ... do some from a distance and tell them it's no extra charge. Allude to just doing some images to satisfy your creative side. You can say the subject(s) are very wonderful subjects and / or the location is awesome. Try some other angles or that idea that has been nagging you.

Create a hard drive folder and label it something like potential comp. images. As time allows, start to narrow down to the very best. Work them in Photoshop and have an 8x10 made of each. When ready you can determine which to have made in 16X20's. (8X10 is proportional with 16X20 so it's a good way to get a feeling on how the full size will look)

I am making a promise, to myself, to no longer be a procrastinator. I always seem to quickly get prints done at the last moment. So by October, I vow to have a bunch of 8x10's to review and to start having the 16X20's printed by the end of the year.

I hope I've inspired others to also get going NOW on competition images. Just a few extra minutes per portrait, or wedding, and saving in a file folder ... could result in some merits next year.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP

floryphotog@mindspring.com

Craig's idea is excellant! However he is much more organized then we are. For those of you, like Keith & I, who aren't as on top of things, here's another suggestion. I have a piece of paper taped inside a cupboard door in the production room. I just write down the client name and pose #. In Nebraska we also have a folio competition and a Photogenic competition so I'm always jotting down ideas for that too. So if you are organized like Craig - do what he said. If you are lazy like me, at least jot down the numbers. Either way it helps a lot when it's time to get competition prints done. Plus what Craig didn't mention - you save a lot of money cause you aren't paying rush charges to the lab and next day air shipping to get them to the competition on time.
    Holly
    Holly Howe M.Photog., Cr.
    www.1224artdolls.com

I started working on competition prints for our upcoming state comp (in late July) 2-3 weeks ago. I spent the past couple of weeks making up 12 candidates, and now I'm getting feedback from various forums on which ones people think are the strongest, and minor changes that would make them better. Then the 6 that had the best feedback will be printed and go in the case (our state compe allows 6, with no more than 4 in one category -- Portrait, EI, or Illustrative).

Ooookay guys and gals.

I have one I've been working on this past weekend when I should have been doing so much else.

Please give critiques, especially on where to mount it. I have a rainbow of colors around it because I couldn't decide....they're all in layers for me to decide later and any input there would be greatly appriciated. I've placed it just about everywhere on a 20 x 16, should I look into 16 x 20? Good gried, I can't make a decision!

Thanks for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Default Ahhh, step mounts and strokes...

Hi Linda,

Great placement of the couple and I always love the walking to or away from the camera moments.

Title: On the Path to the Sanctuary? BTW, focus imediately goes to the church! Try the upside down method of looking at a print.
    So either title it for the church of burn down the church. Wait that does'nt sound right, the burning part that is.

Strokes/lines: Having multiple strokes is really risky since there's a big chance of causing a distraction. I would just go without it except for the one used for the edge of the image. Darker ones are the safe bets for srokes and mounts. If you feel that would like to have the storke, step mount style then I would still for the darker one.

Placement: 16x20 looks better. slim jiming (that's not a real word) the image vertically might look better, removing some of the negative space on camera right.

At any rate, nice scenic bride and groom image though very risky to enter. Good luck and let us know how this one turns out..
    Last edited by Marc_Benjamin; 07-24-2006 at 05:55 PM.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

Default My take on it ...

Hi Linda;

I will have to disagree with Marc. The couple is way too low in your presentation. I am attaching my rendition but was not able to have them high enough to be in the 1st quadrant. Do you have more area on the Raw file ? I'd like to see the original image.

I do agree with Marc on the accent lines. I realize you were trying to get an idea of what color and density you liked. I hope my version helps you in determining your final presentation.

Thank you for the replys and suggestions.

I did not intend to send it with several colored strokes, just had them all there as I tried to make up my mind.

Here is the original sized image, where would I place the couple or just give this one up?

I've had favorable comments about this image but one comment has been made several times....'where's your subject? Someone should be walking down that winding road.'

So I put them there.

The church is in southern Germany, the wedding couple are from Romania.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Weird... here I thought the subject was the church.

huh! ...oh well, call me crazy, call me insane... just don't call me late for dinner!

Default Explanation ...

Hi Linda;

I'm sending my 2nd variation. Since you posted without the br. & gr., I now placed them on the 1st quadrant. I also left my composition grid on top with the opacity lowered so it does not keep anyone from seeing the couple. I hope this helps.

Thanks, Craig.

I still like this but wonder if it isn't just an image with great possibilities but not much future. I have another at work I hope to post for comments later today.

Anyone else have future 'loaner's to share?
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com