Another Newbe - Considering CPP & Competitions

Default Another Newbe - Considering CPP & Competitions

Hi All! I've seen lots of posts by other people new to competition. I have long been considering it however, in addition to the studio (family and senior portraits), I also work full-time and serving two masters for many years. Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to break away from both jobs and attend any of either my state affiliation or national conventions to "see" what makes a merit print or not. >10 years in the PPA and no active participation (I'm a bad member). I'm looking to retire from the day job early and concentrate on the studio going forward. Becoming certified is on my list of preparations.

I did follow the thread and watch the ProPhoto forum critique and found it enlightening and thought, I could do that. I'd definitely enjoy the critique process.

The last time I looked at competition rules was that non-Masters had to submit 16x20 prints/matted images so I made one digitally (only to find out that we're no longer limited to that).

First image is a simulated matted image, rest are just typical sessions that I thought had possibilities. I'm interested in feedback and looking forward to the whole process.

What's next?

Silent Movie

Senior Attitude

Regards ~ Andy

Default Re: Another Newbe - Considering CPP & Competitions

Looks like you could indeed do that. I'm digging your work.
    Vance Wagener, CPP Liaison

Hi Andy, welcome to the PPA forum. Glad to see you putting your work out here for critique - nice stuff - off to a good start !

What's next - interesting image - it could go either way - the body position speaks of attitude, but the hunched shoulders and the somewhat awkward hand positioning detracts from the attitude and the expression on the face. There is a white spot in the lower left corner of the image that needs to be removed - a light keyline around the image might help

Silent Movie - nice image - could use a bit more separation light on the hair wrap on the left side to keep the wrap from blending in with the background. The catchlights need to be cleaned up a bit since the reflection in the eyes is a bit distracting. Main light might have been a bit more effective if it were to be raised just a little bit.

Senior Attitude - Nice image - nice posing, good hand positioning - Title is a bit overused - I tired using that title this year and it didn't help the image - there were several others with the same title - too many "Senior Attitudes" in the competitions - it's kind of like "Field of Dreams".
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Rick and Vance - Thanks for making a newbie to the forums welcome and for taking the time to comment.

Rick - thanks! The bright spot in the corner on What's next, I definitely should have killed that. I used a layer in photoshop with embossed style to simulate the matting, I got lazy and left it as it was. I was on the fence with the hand positioning, I think with both hands similarly posed it would be more effective.

Silent movie - I love the lighting style of having a softbox inches away from the subject but "suck" at photoshop - cleaning up the catchlights will be a challenge for me but one I'm willing to take and points well taken on the light position and background separation.

As far as the title Senior Attitude goes...if you've never been to a print competition it's kind of hard to know what's been done...definitely appreciate the advice!!

Again, thanks for the comments, they are most appreciated!

Andy - see my PM

Titles,

I LOVE the first one. I'm not going to address the quality because I there are many better here to do that but I want you to get the right title because this has impact.

What?????

What did you expect?

Get that away from me.

Don't get that on my dress
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Thank you Linda! I'm completely new to the whole name your image thing. When I do my client previews, I'm lucky to remember to put the file name (or slide number) on the image, let alone come up with a snappy caption. Whole new thought process for me, that's for sure!

Titles can be important - they can set a mood or explain an image - and a bad title can do more harm than good.

So, titling an image "Bad Exposure" might set the wrong mood or expectations...got it I'll have to actually spend some time thinking about the process - not just the first thing that comes to mind.