Why enter?

Thread: Why enter?

Question Why enter?

I'm just wondering what the advantage would be to entering the District Competition AND the International Comp? Should I enter the District first and then enter the image(s) that scored 80+ in the International? Should I enter both with all different images (in case none of the district images score 80+)? Should I ONLY enter one or the other? I entered the District only last yr and scored 2x 77, 74, and 73. What's your best advice?

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    Sir Winston Churchhill 1874-1965

Default Re: Why enter?

The District competition gives you an opportunity to fine tune your entries before sending them to the IPC, and gives you the opportunity to have your images receive a “Seal of Approval” before sending it to the IPC. You can enter only 4 images at the IPC or at the District so entering your District competition gives you an opportunity to send 4 image in for judging and if some of them don’t receive seals of approval, you can pull those low scoring images out and replace them with others before sending them to the IPC - so you can send in a mix of “Sealed” and new unsealed images. I you enter only the IPC, you have only one opportunity to have your images judged for merit that year. In addition, entering your District judging will allow you to receive numerical scores so you have an idea of just where they stand in the scale of categories. If you enter only the IPC, your prints will receive one of four scores - Unaccepted, General Exhibit, General Exhibit plus Showcase Album, or Loan Collection - no numerical scores are given at the IPC.

Remember that an image that is “Sealed” at a District competition is NOT a merit (not yet) and does not become a merit until it is submitted to the VERY NEXT International Photographic Competition. If an image that was “Sealed” at a District competition is NOT received at the VERY NEXT IPC, that seal will expire and the image will have to be judged again for merit. So if you don’t send your sealed image to the IPC, you lose the merit on that image - it‘s not automatically recorded as a merit by the District - it doesn‘t get recorded as a merit until it is received at the IPC. I can’t stress that too much since that is one commonly misunderstood part of the process - too many people think that their “Seals” are Merits and fail to send them on to the IPC and lose the merits.

In your case, I would consider possibly sending the 77's on to the IPC since they might have the possibility of going up a few points and possibly meriting. I'd probably replace the 73 and 74 with two other images since it would be rather unlikely that those two would go up enough in score to reach the merit category. But then again, take a second look at all 4 of the images - there is a possibility that the images could be reworked, recropped, or presented differently with a different title to raise their scores.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Rick, thank you sooooo much for your response. That makes it so much cleare to me. Awesome! Now I know that I need to enter both comps! =))

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
    Sir Winston Churchhill 1874-1965

I agree with Rick - I think all of the print competitions have advantages. in State competition, you get your first opportunity to "try" prints, or to experiment with a new subject or technique. Entry fees are often low and most of the time you get the opportunity to sit in the room during judging and listen to what the judges are saying during competition (this is usually more convenient because State judging is held in conjunction with a convention). District judging is another great way to "test" images with the hope of sending them on to IPC with a Seal of Approval. Because District judging still gives us a numeric score (rather than a yes/no), we get a good gauge of where that image falls on the scale, and can make adjustments from there.

Oh, and if it floats your boat, State and District competitions provide the opportunity to win awards like Best in Show, Court of Honor, Photographer of the Year, etc. IPC provides the opportunity to have your image hang in the General Collection at Imaging USA, or showcased in the Loan Collection, as well as the new Grand Imaging awards that honor the very best of the best of the best of the thousands of images submitted for competition. If you're motivated by awards, you can start at the state level (where there are maybe a few hundred images entered), then the District level (where there are probably a thousand, give or take), then IPC (where there are roughly 6-9,000, give or take).