Another attempt at critique
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Another attempt at critique

Hello everyone!

I tried earlier to post some images without using the "attachment" feature and was rather unsuccessful. Here is another attempt at posting these images for comments and feedback. I really do appreciate any and all feedback... particularly from the seasoned vets. I hope to someday be able to contribute back three fold what I take away from here. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Football Barbie

Brown Eyed Lady

Joanna at the Dam
    Last edited by joemama; 01-24-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    Joe Senchuk, CPP
    jmpstudio.net
    joe@jmpstudio.net

Default Re: Another attempt at critique

nothing came over ...
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Yeah... I see that. I am really struggling with embedding these images. Can someone please remove this post? I guess I just give up (and I almost never give up...).

BIIIIIIGGG Thank you to Greg Yager for picking my butt up off the ground and helping me BEAT this thing! ha ha
    Last edited by joemama; 01-24-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    Joe Senchuk, CPP
    jmpstudio.net
    joe@jmpstudio.net

Just spoke with Joe on the phone. I think we have it worked out now so he should have them posted soon.
    Last edited by GregYager; 01-24-2012 at 09:30 PM.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

You might try changing browsers - try Firefox - I had tons of problems with IE on the PPA website and forum.

Dang, Greg - the image you posted is coming over HUGE - I can only see a small portion of it at one time on my screen - gotta scroll over and down about 2 pages to see the whole picture...
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Massarini View Post

Dang, Greg - the image you posted is coming over HUGE - I can only see a small portion of it at one time on my screen - gotta scroll over and down about 2 pages to see the whole picture...
    That was one I had grabbed from his website to make sure I was giving him the right info on how to post from there.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Joe, I really like the "Brown Eyed Lady". I feel more connected with it. Seems more natural or earthy to me. Her hair has a framing rhythm to it. The banister helps frame/guide my eyes to her. Couple of things though is that white outline along her left arm and side, and the row of spots coming down beside her head.

I feel that "Barbie" is being crowded a bit by the press box....I like the effect of the clouds and sky behind and around the press box, but "rangers", and the front really competes for my eyes. I guess I would have preferred the front to be softened some.
    Perhaps a wider spacing between? The gable end seems competitive also. If she was standing in front of the gable hiding it....giving just a bit more space between her and the press box..or would that be too heavy on one side?

Joanna's top is pretty hot to me. Would like to see more detail there along with her shoulder. Seems to me the attire is as important as she is in this pose.

However I can see all three images easily being used. I am curious as to the original intent of the images.

HI Joe,
    In my opinion Barbie needs a little less effect on her. She is so built that the effect makes her ruddy and more masculine than attractive. I say let her muscles speak for themselves. Also, why is the main light on her is opposite from the light on the press box?
    Brown eyes- I like the wind in her hair with that expression. I personally would have brought the knee on our right over more. I do not like the crotch shot. Lighting is nice. I love the rim light.
    Joanna-I like her pose but the lighting is so strong high-lights seem blown out on both sides. Her body is lit brighter than her face which pulls me away from the face. The light on our left if it was at about half the power would make a nice kicker.
    Sarah L. Johnston, M. Photog. Cr., CPP, F-PPANI, PPA Juror

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops,
    PLEASE feel free to stand in front of them!

Joe,

IMO, Brown Eyed is very well executed and is the strongest image of three. Only two minor things that I would change would be to knock down the white reflection next to her right elbow ( camera left ) and there is a weird shading on the second knuckle of her right hand which makes it looked bruised.

Joanna has some issues with lack of detail in the top (the highlights in the top are almost blown on my monitor) There is a serious shadow on her right shoulder being cast from the main as well as the shadow off the lower part of her necklace. The top itself is out of key for a lowkey image and is brighter than the subject.

Football Barbie is an interesting concept and I would encourage you to go in that direction again should opportunity presents itself again. The issues that I have are:

Her body itself seem too large for the scene compared to the bg giving her a giant appearance. Combine that with the backwards lean of the ranger building and it's relative sharpness (I would expect building to be softer) she looks PS'ed in. My preference would be to make her appear natural to the scene.

While she may be a body builder; she does look a bit masculine. The sculpting on her body is reminiscent of the Spartan's in 300. By the title it suggest you wanted to show the juxtaposition between the roughness of football and the female form. I'm not saying she shouldn't have muscles but suggesting that maybe they should be slightly less defined.

When lighting a subject for insertion or on actual location I prefer to use the main to complement the natural light. In this scene the sun is coming for camera right while your main is from camera left.

Please note: These suggestions are only how I would approach this particular concept. Your vision may be completely different and no less valid.

Hope it helps.
    Vance Wagener, CPP Liaison

Thank you for your comments!

Ok... I am tanking the Joanna at the Dam image. I didn't feel strong about that image anyway.

I took some of your comments about the other two and made some minor changes. On Football Barbie I toned back the muscles and made her smaller in the image as well as slightly blurred the BG. I also took the brightness of the Rangers logo down. Originally... I was really trying to make her look very hard and edgy but seeing your comments helps me understand that everyone else doesn't see it that way and I kinda chuckle. This is exactly why I like getting GOOD feedback from other photogs who know better.

I have a slightly differing opinion about the lighting though... in this image the sun is actually coming from behind her and to "her" left making for a back light/edge light scenario using the sun. In this case... the back light (sun) is in the right place to produce the edge light it would naturally cast on the subject (notice the shadows in the BG). Using a light opposite the sun is what I would normally do to avoid a cumulative exposure on the left side of her face (the camera's right side). Also... notice her hair style. Lighting her from camera right would cast a shadow from her hair into her left eye. My question is... would I really get beat up for this by the judges?

On Brown Eyed Lady, I cured the hand. I took out the reflection by her right elbow (thanks for pointing that out) and darkened her crotch area to avoid drawing attention to it (even though the fact that I just said that will cause you to look there anyway).

Joe Senchuk, CPP
    jmpstudio.net
    joe@jmpstudio.net