Print comp process
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Print comp process

I want to be sure I understand the process...

The GPPA is hosting SEPPA print judging in March, and if I enter there, score 80 or above, all I need to do is enter the PPA competition to receive a merit? State merits do not count toward the masters, right?

I have decided to pursue my masters, and want to be sure I don't miss any opportunities.

Default Re: Print comp process

Mark, good for you! If you enter the approprite district in which you reside, score an 80 or higher, and send those same prints that scored 80 or higher to theIPC this summer, then you earn a merit. If they go lan, you earn two merits.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Turner View Post
    I want to be sure I understand the process...

The GPPA is hosting SEPPA print judging in March, and if I enter there, score 80 or above, all I need to do is enter the PPA competition to receive a merit? State merits do not count toward the masters, right?

I have decided to pursue my masters, and want to be sure I don't miss any opportunities.
    Just remember that at SEPPA, the image will only receive a "Seal of Approval" and not an automatic merit. The sealed image (the same original print or file) must be sent to the VERY NEXT International Photographic Competition (in August) in order for that "Seal" to become a Merit. If it is not sent to the VERY NEXT IPC, that seal will expire and will be invalid the next year (if submitted to the 2013 IPC, it would have to be rejudged for Merit again).
    This is something that is not well understood. One member from my state lost three merits because he thought that the seal meant it was an automatic merit and didn't understand that he had to send them in to the IPC in order to receive his merits.

Also, if your image does not merit at SEPPA, it can still be sent to the IPC and judged there for merit. We usually have two or three rooms judging non sealed images for merit for most of the week. If it is sealed at a District judging or is accepted for merit at the IPC, then the print goes to the Loan Room to be judged for the Loan Collection. If accepted for Loan, you would receive an additional Exhibition Merit and the print would be permanently retained by PPA for exhibition in the Loan Collection.

Only PPA merits count towards PPA degrees - State Merits apply only towards degrees given by the state that issued the merits.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 01-22-2012 at 06:12 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

I can enter 6 at SEPPA, but only 4 to IPC. Is that correct?

You can only enter 4 at a PPA District competition - and SEPPA is a District.
    Some state competitions allow you to enter 6 or more images which will allow you to get more images judged at the state level and allow you to pick your best 4 to send on to the District judging. If your state usually allows 6 for their state competition and they are hosting the District competition, they will have to reduce their numbers to the PPA-PEC maximum of 4 entries for the District competition.
    At the IPC, you can only enter 4 images, but they do not have to be the same images you sent to the District - so if an image doesn't receive a Seal at your District judging, you can switch it for another image to send to the IPC.

Also - SEPPA is the District that conducts the Electronic Imaging Competition. This is a completely separate competition whose merits are only applicable towards the PPA Master Artist Degree. You can send in 4 images to this competition in addition to the 4 image that are sent in for the Photographic Open Competition which awards Merits applicable towards the Master of Photography Degree (no crossover in merits from one competition to the other is allowed).
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 01-22-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Last question...is there anywhere online we can see loan or merit images from PPA competitions? I haven't entered comp since 2002, so...I need to see what's working.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Turner View Post
    Last question...is there anywhere online we can see loan or merit images from PPA competitions? I haven't entered comp since 2002, so...I need to see what's working.
    Unfortunately no but you can buy the Loan Collection and Showcase Collection books from Marathon Press. It's money well spent.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

The images from the General Exhibit and Loan Collections are not available on-line. You can buy the Loan and Showcase books from Marathon Press but that will take time for the books to come in.

You can see a portion of the Loan Collection - actually about 70% of the Masters Loan Collection - in the ASP Masters Loan Collection slide show on the American Society of Photographers web-site. The ASP Masters Loan Collection shows from 2002 to the present are viewable there. The slide show is produced each year by ASP Fellow, Don Emmerich.

This should provide you with some inspiration...

http://www.asofp.com/portfolio.asp
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 01-22-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Perfect. Thanks, Rick!

Does anyone have a link to purchase a showcase book from this year?
    STEFF (not StePH)

Stephanie Millner Cr.Photog., CPP

main site | destination pets | blog | facebook | fan page

Ah, to live like the Italians... with extremely little to do.
    12.01.09 - Viva la Roma!