CPP Study Groups
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CPP Study Groups

What would you say is the best way to find a local study group? Or even an online one?

A friend and I have set aside time every week to study for certification, but we haven't put together a syllabus or anything. We're just sort of going through the 9th edition of Photography together.

Do you have websites or other guides you've really benefited from? And do you think the 9th edition is new enough?

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: CPP Study Groups

Somebody? Anybody? ;-)

I've found the following:

http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_london_photo_9/

http://learnwithbetsy.com/certification

And the flashcard one somebody posted on my other thread.

Did you use any of these resources? I want to follow the best course to be able to pass the test. Do you have other recommendations for how best to prepare for the test?

Thanks!

Robin, I bought the 10th edition of Photography by London,Stone and Upton, prior to certification. Everything in the book and "more" will be useful for the exam. Another good book is Kodak's "Professional Portrait Techniques" from 1987. It explains light ratios and the inverse square law well. Knowing exposure and it's relationship to and or from ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speed, and Watt / Seconds is another plus. You will know that you are comfortable with understanding exposure when you favor the manual mode on your camera for your work. Some of the questions on the exam date back to film days, so I would recommend books of old and new. I passed first time. Good luck !!

This should be a link to the book that I felt was helpful.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KODAK-Profes...ht_2730wt_1114
    Last edited by MWatson; 01-09-2012 at 09:14 PM.
    Mike Watson CR.Photo., CPP

Quote Originally Posted by Robin_Hagan_ View Post
    Do you have other recommendations for how best to prepare for the test?
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie_Millner View Post
    If memory serves, it's 100 questions on the test.

The best piece of advice I got... use the first 5 minutes to draw:
    A) A color wheel
    B) An aperture scale (2.8 to 64)
    C) Shutter Speeds
    D) List of ISOs

That should help you for at least half the questions!
    Robin,

I found that quote from Stephanie Millner in an older thread and it is really solid advise.

I can tell you that you definitely need to learn what is quoted above and how they relate to each other as well as the application of the inverse square law of light. It's not enough to know what they are you will have to be prepared to do the math too. There are some questions that give scenarios where a light is moved and you will have to figure out the new f-stop to maintain a certain ratio.

There are definitely some ambiguous questions on the test however, most of them were straight forward. The test allows you to over think and that's where a lot of people get in trouble. On multiple choice your first instinct is usually correct. In situations where there is more than one correct answer they are looking for the best answer. While one answer may get the job done the other correct answer will yield a better result.

Most importantly is to relax and not psych yourself out. I passed both the written and the port review the first time out.

You might want to check out this: http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_london_photo_9/

Hope it helps
    Last edited by Vance_Wagener; 01-10-2012 at 02:25 AM.
    Vance Wagener, CPP Liaison

Quote Originally Posted by Vance_Wagener View Post
    There are definitely some ambiguous questions on the test however, most of them were straight forward. The test allows you to over think and that's where a lot of people get in trouble. On multiple choice your first instinct is usually correct. In situations where there is more than one correct answer they are looking for the best answer. While one answer may get the job done the other correct answer will yield a better result.
    Also - when choosing your answers - pick the best "book" answer and not the best "real world" answer from a professional point of view. Sometimes the best answer from a real world assignment perspective is not the one they are looking for - they want the answer that is suggested by the book, not what you would do if you were on an assignment and that same situation presented itself. The real world is that you are a professional and you are being paid to come away from a situation with the required image, so sometimes the easy answer is not the path you need to take to complete the assignment, and that's where the "real world" perspective can get you into trouble on the test - so as Vance said, don't over-think it, just keep it simple. There will be no one looking through your test booklet to review your answer to see if you have any notes in your test booklet. The tests are scored electronically via a scanner and that's your score. When I took the test, there were about 6 questions that fell into that category - I answered those 6 questions with the best "real world answer" and not the "best book" and left notes in my test booklet about the ambiguity of the question - that the best book answer was "A" and the best real world answer was "B" - My score on the written was 94.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 01-10-2012 at 01:49 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Hopefully this will change soon but you need to have some knowledge of film and film sizes as well because it's still on the test.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

This is all very helpful everybody! Thank you! I'm aiming for January 2013.

Robin, Do you know about Imaging USA and the Certification Preparation Class (PC5)

$299 for all three days
    Planning on taking the Certified Professional Photographer exam? Take this 3-day prep class that will not only teach you needed information for the written exam, but will also give you a more thorough working knowledge of photography. This in-depth, intense study of photography’s technical side is like the equivalent to a semester of college, so be prepared to study!

Recommended reading for the class is the book Photography, by London and Upton. Topics include the following:
    The Inverse Square Law, Filter Factors, Bellows Factor
    Lenses and Filters
    Color Theory and H&D Curves
    Lighting Ratios, Corrective Lighting & Posing, Depth of Field, Angle of View
    The Zone System (and how it helps you understand the digital histogram)
    Difference between a Bit and a Byte and Bit Depth
    And much more
    PPA members receive 2 service merits for attending

Thanks Jerry. I do know about it, and I'm planning on taking the class, but I can't this go-round. I'm hoping they'll offer it some time again before Imaging next year in Atlanta? And that I'll be able to take the test around the same time as Imaging? I need to look into the details, but that's my basic understanding and loose plan.

I see the last prep class was offered in Atlanta in April. Is that right? Where can I find out when there will be another one?
    Last edited by Robin_Hagan_; 01-11-2012 at 04:22 AM.

Robin, Here is a link to the exam schedule and other good info. http://certifiedphotographer.com/exam-schedule It is early in the year, so more dates for the exam may be added as the year go on. When I felt ready for the exam, I found Greg Yager's studio that was 2 hours away giving the exam. If you watch the schedule, you might find a location in Florida giving the exam.
    Last edited by MWatson; 01-11-2012 at 03:33 PM.