Competition Worthy? - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Default Re: Competition Worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by GregYager View Post
    That's an interesting concept Ed but I think the judges would say it's squeezing the subject into the frame.
    You may be right about that, but to me the story is in the hands and face. Without the tight crop there are too many things taking my attention away from that. IMHO the light on the back of the neck detracts from the image. No one else has mentioned it, so maybe it's just me, but I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what that ear ring thing was. I now realize it is one of those alternative plug types of ear wear. I would have wished the ear had either more detail or gone the other way, leaving that side in the dark via a different lighting ratio. That is why I cropped at the ear, to eliminate the distracting elements and focus on the story, which IMHO is in the face and hands. I also like the flame better when it does not block the thumb.
    All that being said, in a larger print the ear ring may be more easily distinguished and maybe I am just a tad OCD. I still think it looks better with the tight crop though.

Thanks for posting this and for your continued momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Dachowski View Post
    Greg,
    I have looked at this thread about a dozen times, and have failed to respond because I cannot articulate what I want to say. That said, I will try. The image is a good capture, but I have an issue, with the quality of light. I wish I could say more about it, but I cant put my finger on it. There is something about the lighting that is not right. Maybe it is the contrast, or the height, but there is an issue for me there. you have talked about the shirt, and played with it a bit. I would suggest bringing the hands quite a bit higher. Just ps them up the arm and makeare full ccle
    I know what you're talking about on the lighting Jeff. It could be the result of the high structure adjustment I did using SilverFx. I lowered the main light considerably in order to cast light under the brim of his hat but not low enough to create ghost lighting.

I think the best thing this project has taught is that it's much easier to shoot it right the first time than it is to fix in post production. I'll try to pick one with fewer issues for the next one.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Rick you convinced me. I'm selling the guns, kids, chickens and the wife to pay my way to New Orleans. Wait maybe I can keep the guns
    Jorge R Gonzalez
    http://jorgergonzalez.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge42 View Post
    Rick you convinced me. I'm selling the guns, kids, chickens and the wife to pay my way to New Orleans. Wait maybe I can keep the guns
    Jorge, the guns in Miami are probably a good thing to keep. Just remember not to shoot yourself or a family member like so many accidently do.
    Billy Walker
    Billy Walker Photography
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    "Let's Go Racin' Boy's"

... definitely keep the guns ... you may be one of the few to survive the end of the world and you might need them to protect yourself from Billy's motorcycle thieves down there in Florida...
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Greg - Thanks for posting this thread. I've enjoyed watching the progression. I know that the vote was to change the image to black and white for competition, from the sepia, and I'm wondering why? I actually preferred the sepia version, so I'm curious.
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

Greg, I really appreciate what you're doing here. As a newbee here, I can tell I've made an excellent decision to join. lol I've lost a bit of sleep staying up to check this out, but well worth it!

Wow, have you checked the number of views on this thread? Greg, you have provided a wonderful educational opportunity with this thread. That's fantastic!
    Billy Walker
    Billy Walker Photography
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    "Let's Go Racin' Boy's"

Thanks Billy. The fact that many people contributed their opinions is what made so many people follow along though. Competition can be a lot of fun once you understand what goes in to making a merit image. I had reached burnout in the Fall of 2010 and getting involved in competition turned my attitude 180 degrees. A lot of people pitched in to help me get started so I'm simply paying it forward and to be real honest it feels good to help people.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

What a great process, Greg! Here's my 2 cents... I don't think you need to work this hard in post production to create a merit image I agree with the comments Jackie shared, and I also agree with what Jeff shared... but I'm also having a difficult time articulating what I'm thinking. Bottom line, I think it's close, but not necessarily in the merit category. I think you've done a great job with the adjustments, but the base image wasn't quite there.

And, I know this is silly, but I see the flame then I see a half-smoked cigarette in his mouth and think "why is he still using a lighter when the cigarette is already lit?" You never know what silly thing a judge might get hung up on.

You've inspired me to maybe post some work again... I need 3 for my Masters this year, and I'm in serious crunch time!!