Competition Worthy? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Competition Worthy?

I darkened the shirt using a soft black brush at 85%. I tried to leave some detail to avoid having a floating face. Highlight on the earring has been toned down. I increased the contrast slightly using curves. I need that flame Ron.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

I like the added flame that Ron put in. To me it immediately explains what his hands are doing. I also like how Ron darkened the shirt and crunched the blacks. Reminds me of a "film noir" setting.

Greg, I'm very new to the PPA and the forum...but here's a couple of comments for what they are worth...

1) Based on what I've read, this is your son, and you are capturing an image of your son. My first and foremost advice (and I'm sure many won't like it) - stop shooting for photographers. Shoot for your client - is that client you or your son?

2) If you're going to tweak the image, then tweak it toward the character of your son, not the character of other photographers. Is your son's personality and character displayed more with color, in sepia, or in black and white? Only you can answer that question.

I don't know your son...and I'm not big on contests. I also have a different eye than every other person in the world and I can only interpret things as I see them - not as you see your son. I see a contemplative man, perhaps a bit depressed, perhaps a bit stressed about life. It's why he's holding on to that lighter for dear life and why he's not willing to let go.

Again, for what it's worth, here's how I see the image and what I would do to it...

In Lightroom, darken the back of the ear and the hands so the exposure is more even with the exposure brush. Import the image into Photoshop...then use the burn tool to burn the shirt (highlights mode) and darken it, as well as the hair on the back of his head, and the arm rest under his right arm. Switch to midtones and darken the cap just a bit, but not too much. Do a levels adjustment so the light is more focused on his face (move the slider to the left). Desaturate the image just a hair (maybe 10 points or so) so you soften the reds in his skin tones. Bump up the contrast as I see more of a contrasty image being appropriate.

I think that would leave me pretty close to final product.

The whole fallacy here is we are all photographers and we all see things differently. I feel for the most part, the image is technically sound and the rest is art...and the artsy part is subject to interpretation and personal opinion.

Personally, I'd rather see you share an image of how YOU see your son - I'm sure he would feel the same way.

Ed your points are certainly valid however, Greg posted in this section of the forum asking if the image were print comp worthy. Print comp and client work are sometimes very different animals. Print comp IS about showing to your peers and getting their input before sending it off to print competition where it is judged by your peers. In print comp there are many things that have to come together to get a merit print. Greg is asking for input on those points. I am sure his son would be very proud of the original image but now it's about fine tuning the print to make it competition worthy.

Understandable...maybe I should have used the phrase "whose point of view" as opposed to "who is your client".

...at some point, we need to break away from what other folks think and present our own "point of view". It's a great image to work with and there are going to be varying points of view with various personal interpretations. I would personally like to see Greg's point of view as I think that's the only one that will shine in any competition as it will be the most genuine.

Then again, as mentioned, I'm not a fan of contests :-)

Greg if you don't mind could you after you work the image out to the level of a merit print, post the before and after next to each other to see the adjustments made easier. That is of course if you decide to use this image and not re shoot. And once again thank you for presenting this image as a learning tool.
    Jorge R Gonzalez
    http://jorgergonzalez.com

Ed, PPA competition is not like any other contest I've entered. You're not out to win prizes and you don't compete against other photographs.

PPA has a set of standards that each print entered is measured against and the judge training and the actual judging process is quite elaborate. I recommend you research it a bit and see what it's about.

Greg is an excellent photographer, has been doing this successfully for years yet enters competitions to learn how to improve. I do, too. It's one of the main benefits to PPA for me.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Quote Originally Posted by GregYager View Post
    Rick, do you think I should have left the hair under the brim? I had removed the longer ones. Should I tone down the earring highlight or make it smaller?
    Greg,

I like what you've done on post 31. taken down the hair and earring highlight so that it is not distracting but still there. I also like the tonality on the shirt in that post. Now if you just had a flame in his hands and the hands a bit closer to the cigarette....

Also - Happy New Year, Dude - REALLY !!!
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 01-01-2012 at 07:07 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Greg you can use the Puppet Warp tool and move his hands closer. I did this just for a quick result but of course with the full resolution file it would be much easier and better results. Then again, a reshoot also may be give you far better results now that you know all these things.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ed,
    Thank you for your input. The client in this particular image is everyone here. By this I mean it was shot with this project in mind. I needed an image I could use to help people learn how to prepare for IPC. The beauty of this is everyone benefits. New photographers can learn lighting, composition, post production and many other things that make good prints better. New and future jurors can practice their judging and critique skills. Experienced photographers have a chance to pay it forward by offering advice based on what they've learned over time. People that are new here and not comfortable with posting yet can simply follow along and learn as well. I have incredibly thick skin which means my feelings aren't affected when people are critical of my work. I used my son as the subject because he wanted to see how a competition print was prepared using his image.

In reading these last few responses I must say I'm honored. You people know me well...and you still say nice things. Way cool!

Jorge, I will be happy to do a final before and after post that includes the images along with a consolidated list of what changes were made. I will also post another when we finish with this one.

Rick, I'm working on a flame to work in there. Ron set the bar pretty high for me with his flame but I think I can do it. Do you think I'd leave that out... Really?!
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me