Competition Worthy? - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Competition Worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by GregYager View Post
    ...His hands are clutching a lighter which makes them appear a bit odd. I'll check my other images to see if I have better hand options....
    Greg, I just had a thought about the hand position/posing point that was brought up. I'm not sure how you feel about manipulating the image with compositing, but it may eliminate the "odd hands" by compositing in a small lighter flame? I know that would need to be worked in as to not compete with the face etc., but it seems to me that it would almost immediately inform the viewer and explain (or excuse) the odd hand positioning that's been mentioned. Just a thought I had.

I really like the Mocha/Sepia/B&W version. I think it forces me to focus on the emotion, content & textures in the shot more-so than the color version does. Again, as others have mentioned, I don't know how the judges would view it, but the B&W/mocha version grabs me.

My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by GregYager View Post
    Let's see if this works Mark...

Greg,

I really enjoy this image, you have captured a great one, and even nicer that it is your son.

Other than the things that have already been mentioned, there are a few others to consider. I am not sure how 'worked up' for comp this was before you posted, but I would like to mention these things - take them as you wish depending on where you are in the image processing.

First and foremost, I want to look at his face more, but can't get past the patterned shirt. Even in BW I am struggling with it.

The angle of his shoulders seems to be pretty even - if one of his shoulders was higher so the angle is different on his arms, it would be easier to get past the hands mentioned earlier.

The hair peeking out from under the brim of his hat brings my eye there as well, I don't think they should be gone necessarily, but they are bright. The one under the hat to the right, though, on the side of his head does bother me.

Agreed with D. Craig on the ear, and the light hitting is hair is pretty strong also. As I look I also struggle with the angle his ear bling, if it is a gauge it seems like his ear may be laying differently because of his shoulder, it's hard to understand what is going on there.

There are a few other things, but I think the shirt pattern is the biggest one for me to get past....
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

― C. JoyBell C.

Here's what I have so far. Hands have been darkened along with highlight on the ear. The border has been removed to reveal more of the hands. Stray hairs removed. Structure lowered. Patch of smoke removed from the end of his nose. Collar pushed down via liquify. Photographing a flame today so I can add it to the lighter.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Now if you could just change out that busy shirt, you might have something. Sorry but the shirt really takes my eye off his face. It seems to dominate the image.

I agree 100% Ron. I tried lowering the contrast on the shirt but it just looked muddy to me. Gimme a few mins and I'll post that version. If I can't get the shirt toned down I may have no choice but to reshoot.
    Greg Yager CPP

I like it Greg. can you burn down or replace the white in his checks with black?

Here is the version with higher structure and the darkened shirt. The overall image is darker here which may not be a good thing but the point is to see if this makes the shirt look better or worse.
    Greg Yager CPP

Greg this is just a concept for toning down that shirt. Nothing special just dupe layer and paint with a soft brush over the shirt with black at about 85% opacity. It helps but I have no idea if it's enough to save it without a reshoot. By the way, added the flame too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Greg,

I agree with what Jackie said about the distracting shirt and the hand positioning. The hands bother me more than anything else. When I first saw the image, trying to figure out what he was doing with his hands took attention away from the face. I had no idea that he was holding a lighter in his hands. It might be stronger if the hands holding the lighter were closer to the cigarette. The hair under the brim of is hat doesn't bother me, and it also helps to visually shorten what would be a long forehead without the hair being there - I might darken it down a bit, but I wouldn't remove it entirely. The bright highlight on the front of the earring does bother me, so I'd tone it down a good bit.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

I do like what you've done there Ron. Let me see if I can duplicate that.

Rick, do you think I should have left the hair under the brim? I had removed the longer ones. Should I tone down the earring highlight or make it smaller?
    Greg Yager CPP