Competition Worthy?
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Competition Worthy?

Here's an image I shot recently that really jumped out at me but I'm not sure if it's merit worthy. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GregYager; 12-30-2011 at 01:29 AM. Reason: added images
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Default Re: Competition Worthy?

try again, please!
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

I tried attaching them directly Linda but it wouldn't let me use the IMG code. I would type it in and post but the pictures weren't there. When I went back to edit the post the link I had typed in was gone. Gremlins.
    Greg Yager CPP

Wow. What a day! Talked with someone else about glitches and now there are gremlins.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

I ended up attaching them the easy way. That'll work for now though. I'm just trying to figure out if this image has any potential before putting hours of work into it. One possible title is "Politically Incorrect".
    Greg Yager CPP

Greg; I like the full color version but would suggest toning down the rim lighting on his ear. I think it has impact and could do well. I don't care for your title idea, though. I am only a Craftsman but have judged competitions at sub state level as well as watching dozens of state assn. competitions. The panel only has seconds to hear the title and comprehend the meaning. A title more like ''Lost in Thought'' or ''Internal Struggle'' or '' Mental Anguish'' may work better .. something showing he is trying to deal with life. I'd like to see it after you make more progress on it.

I prefer the black and white, it puts more focus on his face for some reason. The color makes me bounce between the smoke and his face.

I'm o judge,never have been one but then, you know that. I'm not sure if the checkered shirt will pull the scores down or not. I would suggest darkening his hands slightly as they have as much emphasis as his face.

I'm not sure about a title, I'd like something that reflects an emotional time that needs a calming crutch. Yeah, THAT'S no title but that's what I'd like a few words to convey.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Greg for what is worth I'm having trouble with the hands, they seem too posed. What I mean is there is no tension in them, too relaxed. Him thinking on the issues of life would maybe caused them to be tighter, more pressure less space to hold an object. I get the sense that he is holding something that can break.
    Jorge
    Jorge R Gonzalez
    http://jorgergonzalez.com

Very good points everyone. I do feel this image may have potential but it'll take some work to get it to merit standards. To me that made it the perfect image to post here. Everyone here knows I have ultra thick skin so hopefully this can be a good learning tool for anyone following along.

The subject here is my son but don't let that sway your input or soften your comments. I've critiqued him for 23 years.

The checkered shirt bothers me a lot but converting it to sepia seemed to help. Black and white may be a better option but I'm willing to work it up as B&W and color at the same time to see which idea pans out the best.

His hands are clutching a lighter which makes them appear a bit odd. I'll check my other images to see if I have better hand options. Bringing down the highlight on the ear should be easy enough.

I'll post the reworked images this afternoon. Thanks everyone.

I'm hoping this becomes a learning tool not only for people looking to enter competition but also for people looking to become jurors. If you fall in the potential juror category feel free to assign scores along the way. That way approved jurors can help you learn the art of scoring images as well.

My current thoughts on a score would be somewhere in the low 70s. Now to see if I can work it into the 80s.
    Greg Yager CPP

I like it Greg... But, I think the hands are brighter than his face which would cause the judges to look away from the true point of interest which is his face. I think I like the black and white version best
    CK McDaniel, Cr Photog., CPP
    Because Photographers have a BETTER IMAGE ...
    www.StudioEnVogue.com