Major usability issues - Inaccessable Log In and Register button

Default Major usability issues - Inaccessable Log In and Register button

Just a warning that the automatic pop-down menus at the top of the page can prevent the use of many of the important buttons and links which rest below it.

In particular, on my Firefox / Iceweasel browser, while using sufficiently large display fonts, the Copyright & Advocacy automatic pop-down can prevent my access to the Log In / Register buttons on the main PPA.com page, and the rest of the pop-downs prevent access to the navigation breadcrumb links Our PPA > Welcome > Forum FAQ, etc.

These problems only occur when the font size is large enough that the automatic pop-down menus are sensed while the mouse cursor is hovering over the links which are a few lines below. If I change the font size to a much smaller size, then it is finally possible to access the Log In / Register button and the various navigation links at the top of the page.

So, the PPA.com website and forums may be preventing some people from participating.
    Brian Dunn Photographic
    http://www.BDphotographic.com

Default Re: Major usability issues - Inaccessable Log In and Register button

I use only Firefox and have not had this problem.

Brian, I've had issues with this since the change over a few year's back. My solution has been to go from below the bar that causes problems.

I know I would love to see this changed, I found a solution because I wanted/needed one. First time visitors that experience this will not stay.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

I had similar problems using Internet Explorer - switched to Firefox and the problems went away.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

May be dependent on your font sizes. Try ctrl-plus or ctrl-minus keys a few times either way to make the fonts larger and smaller and see what happens. Sometimes I can make the Login / Register button totally inactive by making the font larger to where the pop-down menus are above the button. But sometimes it works, and it seems to depend on whether a menu item has popped down already or not.

I noticed something else: When I make the fonts larger, the automatic pop-down menus expand off the right side of the bar, then start to wrap to the second line of the bar, except that this line is now white text on a white background, so you cannot see the title.

Anyhow, the scariest thing is that some people might not even be able to register at the home page for PPA.com...
    Brian Dunn Photographic
    http://www.BDphotographic.com

Seems like it shouldn't be a huge problem to make the expand require a left click instead of a scroll over. I agree with Linda. This will make new visitors leave quickly.
    Jim Morford
    Cape Coral, FL

I've experienced on another forum where the option to turn off the automatic pull down menus is available. The option is to click on the item and then showing the other items available.

Whenever I use Firefox I have the same problem. Not only that but I've also had problems with the layout of the home page at the top preventing me from seeing the login box on the upper left hand side. Words running over on top of each other. I've had to use either explorer or Safari to get a proper display. Would be nice if they would fix it.

Jesse Francis