How much money to take to Imaging
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much money to take to Imaging

This is my first expo. Approximately how much money should I look at taking with me? Are the deals good?
    Last edited by parphotos; 12-14-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Default Re: How much money to take to Imaging

How many drinks do you want to buy us?

- trr
    REICHMAN
    www.reichmanphotography.com

www.amantofish.com
    - Meaning, purpose and profit for photographers -

SEXY BUSINESS WORKSHOP
    Three days to a rock-solid business plan, an effective and profitable pricing structure and a mouth-wateringly compelling brand

Most of the show specials are good for a couple of days after the show. Not sure if you were looking to take things with you, so you might want to buy some frames etc at great prices if you are local. I certainly want to support the suppliers that support our industry, but keep in mind that you are a business as well. Be sure to write down the things you need to solve, and then try to solve them on the floor. Then go home and buy when the rush of buying new things wont be appealing, and you can make sound decisions about how profitable that new background will be.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Quote Originally Posted by parphotos View Post
    ......Approximately how much money should I look at taking with me?.......
    Like the IRS 1040 simple form,

How much money did you make __________

Send it in ___________

How much money to take? ALL of it!

Like Jeff said, there are a lot of deals and you can get caught up in the moment so take a list of "Must Buy" and some extra money for the "I didn't know about that way too cool item". Try to manage the impulse buy, then order it after the convention if you still think it will make you money.
    Roger Williams, CPP
    www.Tranquility-art.com Portrait/Wedding
    www.TAP-Online.net Sports when time allows

Yes - avoid the rush to buy unless you need the item right now, know that you need it, and have gone into the show with the intention to buy it. In 2006, at the show, we bought a set of laser engraved back lighted images to use as studio samples - $400 worth of samples - then we got busy and forgot to send the files for the samples - we called back about 6 months later and found that the samples had to be ordered within 3 months or the sample offer was void - no refunds - no future credit - we lost $400 just because we bought it at the show - had we waited and looked over the info and the fine print, and ordered it when we were not so busy, we would have lost $400. Needless to say, we never ordered any other materials from that particular vendor - and I haven't seen them in the trade show in subsequent years...
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 12-14-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Ok thanks! I appreciate those responses. I feel slightly relieved now!

1. Have a business plan and goals for 2012. You may discover new items you want to include in a plan at ImagingUSA pre-con workshops.
    2. What things do you need in 2012 to achieve the plan.
    3. On the first day of the tradeshow visit vendors and make a list of the things you would like to buy, but DO NOT buy anything the first day.
    4. Review your list that evening and prioritize your purchases.
    5. On the second and third days, buy your highest priorities. When you are starting out, you want lots of things, so prioritizing is important.

Quote Originally Posted by jherrel View Post
    1. Have a business plan and goals for 2012. You may discover new items you want to include in a plan at ImagingUSA pre-con workshops.
    2. What things do you need in 2012 to achieve the plan.
    3. On the first day of the tradeshow visit vendors and make a list of the things you would like to buy, but DO NOT buy anything the first day.
    4. Review your list that evening and prioritize your purchases.
    5. On the second and third days, buy your highest priorities. When you are starting out, you want lots of things, so prioritizing is important.
    Perfect comments. First time in the show, I walk around to get an overall observation. I might make a note on the printed plan, to return to a vendor I had not previously noted.
    View the show layout at home, or on the plane ride! and make notes....
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

I am looking at a new camera purchase from Nikon. Can I expect any GREAT deals that may be offered at the expo only?
    Angela Peacock
    "You miss 100% of the photos you do not take" unknown author

These are excellent comments. As for your camera, know the pricing from where you would otherwise buy it, then you can determine if a vendor is offering a good deal or not. Also make sure you are ready to buy a camera. Buying anything when you don't have the money or cash flow to support it isn't a good deal. You'd be better off to wait for the right time for you even if the equipment isn't the best deal, or save up and buy it the next opportunity where a deal may be offered. I too have bought with an emotional head. I thus Learned to scope, list, then sleep on it. If in that time you can't clearly see how you will implement a new product or background, you will be wasting your money. There isn't a photographer out there that doesn't have something in the prop room that was a regret purchase!

I bring my credit card but keep a tally on my purchases so I dont have a stroke when I get the bill. I bring cash for food and "living expenses" . However I charge some things as I can then use leftover cash when i get home to pay it off.