Imaging USA 2012 Report
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Imaging USA 2012 Report

PPA Report
    Just some thoughts on PPA's imaging. I have been to many. Maybe some of this will be seen by those that can make the changes. I think it was one of the better Imaging Conventions.

The bad first---I had very few.

The distance between classes in the convention center. I know this may not be able to be helped because the convention centers cannot always help this. But if they can keep that in mind.

Lighting in the rooms that kill the projector images. Almost every program I was in, it affected the screen images. This should be an easy fix and a needed fix.

I wish the convention centers had more of a food choice for breakfast and lunches and open early enough for the times we will be there for class. They should be open 45 minutes before the start of classes. Also, it would be nice if they could have more stations so that there are not long lines.

The climate inside. I am sitting here with a soar throat and could not sleep because of it. What happens is that it is colder outside and for some reason these venues, (at all PPA Imaging over the last few years since it moved to winter time) feel like they have to over compensate. I see this at malls sometimes. When I walk in and others too, and the heat is like a wall, and it actually makes you sneeze..... The best thing they can do, is keep the temps at about 65, then when everyone gets seated, they can adjust. But everyone is dressed for the cold anyway, they have walked and warmed up. No need for it to be 75 with the dry heat pouring on you. Ditto for the trade show and the Parties. When the vendor is dripping on his paperwork, while talking to you, it is hot. Last night at the parties, so many commented on how hot it was. This can be taken care of now for next convention.

Ok the Good. Where to begin, because other than those few problems, everything was good.

Better classes this year. We need to get new speakers and not have so many recycled speakers which is what looked like happened. If they have spoken the last two years, maybe it is time to find someone new to switch them out. But I enjoyed every class I went to this year. And others told me they did too. I have only heard of one class that was less than stellar by about 5 or 6 people. That is pretty good odds considering. Not every class is going to be great.

Volunteers and Staff. The unsung heroes of the convention. They work hard, they were so nice. They were so helpful. They are there early and they stay late. Every staff and volunteer person I talked to was so nice. Please tell each staff member and volunteer "thank you" because they sure deserve it.

The registration could not have been easier on site for replacement badges or what not.

I am glad that we have been finding cities with so much to do in them. That makes for a great convention also. And not having to drive 10 miles to get to those places is something to think of for every convention. For me we could have it in Austin, San Antonio, and New Orleans every year. I also liked Nashville in the Gaylord.

The people/friends. This is the best part. Everyone should be going to PPA most every year. You meet people you see every year. People I trust, to give me good information. They make the time fun. Give great help even after the conventions. And some become lifelong friends, that are more than just photo-friends.

That is pretty much it. I say PPA hit it out of the park. Only minor problems from the attendee point of view. But the reasons for going far outweigh, did I say FAR, not going.

Where did I go wrong? What was your experiences?
    Just a member.

Default Re: PPA Report

I agree Tim, but only have good things to say about this year. Last year I stayed directly across the street from the convention center in San Antonio and still had to walk a flippin' mile to get to the nearest class. This year we stayed two blocks away and I still feel as though we walked less.

Every class we attended this year was just downright AWESOME! I also agree that mixing up the speakers from one year to the next would be a great idea!

OH, I do have one small complaint... I wish there were more seating at the parties. We usually end up as wall flowers sitting on the floor with our food LOL. I know that's a hard thing to predict or plan for, but at least a small allowance for extra seating would be nice because we are certainly never alone along the wall hehehe...
    Last edited by Cindi_K_McDaniel; 01-19-2012 at 02:23 AM.
    CK McDaniel, Cr Photog., CPP
    Because Photographers have a BETTER IMAGE ...
    www.StudioEnVogue.com

What were some of the best programs this year?

Cindi, they did have to prepare for the food, so maybe tables too. I do understand there are so many people and may not have enough for tables and people. But we just gave up our seats to others that came in later.

And not to be misunderstood, Not sure if you did. But I am talking about the distance in the convention center between classes. If you were pass the little food place by the tradeshow, then had to get out of class, go to the bathroom, get something to drink or eat, then haul over to a class on the other side of the Starbucks, You never got a chance to take a breath. LOL.
    Just a member.

Gottcha Tim.... I thought the distance was much better all the way around this year...
    CK McDaniel, Cr Photog., CPP
    Because Photographers have a BETTER IMAGE ...
    www.StudioEnVogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Duenkel View Post
    What were some of the best programs this year?
    William Branson was good. The video programs were really good. Rachel and Clark Marten of course were really good. I hear Rod rocked it. And Blair Phillips was super but I could not attend it.
    Just a member.

Great report Tim. Open minded reviews such as this helps to make the next ones even better.

My favorite was the final class on how to use certification in your marketing. I have several new ideas to implement now.

My only complaint would be New Orleans traffic. It was quite scary.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Thanks Greg.

I forgot the APP, best thing yet. Now, this is what another member said that they should make the evaluations be part of the app.
    Just a member.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_Babin View Post
    Thanks Greg.

I forgot the APP, best thing yet. Now, this is what another member said that they should make the evaluations be part of the app.
    That would be a great idea. I'm all about saving paper plus the feedback would be instant.

On a side note... Wouldn't this be a Imaging report as opposed to a PPA report?
    Last edited by GregYager; 01-19-2012 at 06:19 AM.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

I am with Tim about the lights washing out the projector screens, you could still see the screens ok, but it left something to be desired. I assumed it had something to do with safety/fire code or something of that nature. My hotel had a killer breakfast set up,so I didn't notice the lack of breakfast choices. If they had somewhere to grab a slice of pizza on site for lunch that would have been ideal for me personally But there was plenty of time to walk over to the Riverwalk,where there was a great variety good food, including pizza slices.

With the exception of the long march down to the awards ceremony, I found the way the classes were spread out preferable to the convention center set ups that have all the classes centrally located. When you have all the different classes all pouring out at the same time into the same narrow hallways, it can create some uncomfortable bottlenecks. Walking is just something that comes with the territory at these things and some convention centers can get cramped at times, so It is best to just roll with it.

As a fellow floor sitter I would also vote for more dining tables and maybe some more of the smaller tables to set your drink on. Maybe some chairs along the walls would be helpful.

I know exactly what you mean about the drastic change in temperature that often happens going in and out of these kind of venues, but because it was so much warmer in NOLA I didn't experience this effect nearly as much as the last 3 shows that had the colder weather. I am also greatfull when the classrooms are not too hot. You can always put on another layer if it gets too cold, there is only so much you can take off if it is too hot.

The program quality is top notch, but I wish there was a better way to determine what level a program was before hand. The program descriptions are helpful, but don't always give you a great idea of the level they are aimed at.

The chats with old friends and new had to be the highlight of the convention.

It would be nice if we could do something to minimize the waste with all the unwanted brochures we get in our goody bags. I know there were only 3 or 4 brochures that I kept and all the rest were thrown away.

If there were some different precon classes added to the first two days of precon I would appreciate that.

Arthur Rainville's class was the best I attended this year.

Phoenix and New Orleans IUSA events were just the ticket for me location wise, the probability of warm weather is always a priority for me in January.
    Last edited by Ed_Sharp; 01-19-2012 at 03:51 PM.