Which Hotel?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Hotel?

Default Which Hotel?

I know the ones closest to the convention are full- but which is the NEXT best one to get a reservation at?! Or if somebody has a reservation but can't go- I'd be happy to take your room for you-
    Erin L. Clark, CPP
    E-n-E Photography

Default Re: Which Hotel?

Check out Hotel New Orleans..they have availabilites online but not on the phone. Their rooms are super cheap and its *right* across the street from the convention center!! Valet parking is a daily rate, but still better than driving and parking every day.
    Last edited by amphotostudio; 11-10-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Erin,

If you don't mind a bit of a walk (a little less than a mile), try the Queen and Cresent. That is where I'm booked at. Never been there, but it got good reviews. And we could always share a taxi too. I booked my flight and hotel thru Bookit.com and got a really good rate for both.

Angela
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

thanks ladies- still deciding on going! will look at those tho!
    Erin L. Clark, CPP
    E-n-E Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Angela_Lawson View Post
    Erin,

If you don't mind a bit of a walk (a little less than a mile), try the Queen and Cresent. That is where I'm booked at. Never been there, but it got good reviews. And we could always share a taxi too. I booked my flight and hotel thru Bookit.com and got a really good rate for both.

Angela
    Just looked on Kayak search; it's $189/night. Is that same as your booking price?

I am reserved at Embassy Suites with points redeemed, for Sunday-Wednesday morning; I tried to add two days before at my expense, but unable... I might try again or call referencing my existing reservation. ES is great with made to order breakfast and manager's cocktails! Stayed there the last Imaging in NOLA.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

You might want to look at the Hotel New Orleans - after it was mentioned above, I checked it out on the web and they have rooms for about $80 for Sun thru Tue. Saturday is booked. That's an unbelievable price for a hotel right across the street from the Convention Center... Never been there, so I can't vouch for the place, but the price sure looks good...
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 11-14-2011 at 01:51 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

I must be in wrong site, but no availability.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Hi George.

I booked by flight and room together, so I'm not really sure what the hotel price by itself was. But my flight and hotel and the Queen and Cresent for Friday thru Wednesday (5 nights and round trip flight) totalled less than $800.

For anyone who has booked yet - Try Bookit.com, they seem to have the best rates.
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

I did look at Bookit.com, and I may add my days at Pelham Hotel, which is a nice half way point, and I'll roll my luggage or use a cab to change to Embassy Suites, where I redeemed my points. Pelham seems a reasonable walk to Cafe du Monde and other French Quarter activities, or to River walk and convention center if I decide to register for any pre-con class. Both Bry Cox and Suzette Allan interest me - seen both before, and love their respective work. I want to "absorb" some New Orleans, by going early!
    I appreciate the contributions on another thread about things to do!

PS: There is some great wall graffiti just waiting to be photographed all around the area, even just a few blocks on road parallel to Convention Blvd. With people or with no subjects added within. I printed and sold several over the several years, in my "gallery"! Not merely abstract images, but paintings with musicians and all sorts of imaginative "stuff". Great for "texture" work!
    Last edited by George_Hawkins; 11-16-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Quote Originally Posted by George_Hawkins View Post
    PS: There is some great wall graffiti just waiting to be photographed all around the area, even just a few blocks on road parallel to Convention Blvd. With people or with no subjects added within. I printed and sold several over the several years, in my "gallery"! Not merely abstract images, but paintings with musicians and all sorts of imaginative "stuff". Great for "texture" work!
    I know the area you're referring to - and I'd recommend that you stay away from that area - or go with a large crowd.

Also - if you notice, some, if not most, of the "graffiti paintings" are signed by the artist - so those are not graffiti at all - it's their art - and I'll bet that they are covered under the same copyright laws that cover other works of art, so copying them from the walls where they are painted and selling them in your area would be the same as photographing a painting in a museum and selling the photograph - only in this case, the "museum" would be the city itself - and for some of these local artists, it is their perception that the city itself is their museum. Some of the artists do sell signed lithographs of their "city wall paintings" - you can find them in some of the gift shops and galleries in the quarter and the warehouse district.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 11-16-2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: add an additional thought
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman