Credit for Teaching Workshops to Local Photographers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Credit for Teaching Workshops to Local Photographers?

Hi,

Over the past 2 months I taught 2 workshops in the midwest (Topeka, Kansas). Both were for local photographers and enthusiasts. For one the State Theater of Kansas did a special opening of some historic rooms and for the other the legislature thru a state representative approved a special opening of the State Capitol building for my workshop. Both focused on architectural photography.

Is there a way to get PPA credit for such workshops? There's a similar thread on a similar topic on speaker credit, but this question involves credit for teaching workshops.

Thanks,
    Robert
    Robert Ash
    Robert Ash Photography
    URLs: Website: www.robertash.com
    Facebook: Robert Ash Photography page
    Twitter: @RobertAshPhoto

2. Default Re: Credit for Teaching Workshops to Local Photographers?

As I understand it, credit (merits) will only be awarded to instructors for PPA (pre)approved courses. Merit programs must be arranged in advance and then advertised as a PPA education program (I don't recall the exact title). PPA members would then receive a merit for the class. Non members would if they become a PPA member within xx number of days. Merits cost $25 each, out of the money collected from the class. Everyone must pay the same amount for the class regardless of their member or non-member status. In other words you can't charge a member more because they get a merit.
    Mark G. Woods
    M. Photog. CPP
    www.woodsstudio.com
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Default Re: Credit for Teaching Workshops to Local Photographers?

Mark,

Thanks. Makes sense. Where can I find out more specifics? I may have a 3rd workshop coming up in December, the first two were really popular.
    Robert Ash
    Robert Ash Photography

4. Default Re: Credit for Teaching Workshops to Local Photographers?

There's more to it. You would have to be a PPA member first (I assume you are) I am pretty sure you have to be an approve instructor too. But we are way out of my area now. You could contact PPA (maybe try Christel at caprigliano@PPA.com) and ask or maybe search the website for more info. I am sure someone else could chime in here with more knowledge than me. :-)
    Mark G. Woods
    M. Photog. CPP
    www.woodsstudio.com
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -Thomas A. Edison

Volunteer to host a Super Monday program.

What is a Super Monday program?

These workshops were on Saturday mornings. As I share above, the state representative got approved a special opening of the State Capitol building for one of them. I flew in for the weekend and flew out on Sunday afternoon.
    Robert Ash
    Robert Ash Photography

You have to be a PPA member to earn merits towards a degree, but if you are teaching a PPA approved program, there does not need to be any PPA members in attendance. It only needs to be open to PPA members to pay to attend. PPA members must be able to attend, and pay the same amount as a non member would. You need to contact PPA and find out who is handling cont ed right now. Last I knew the sprite that was handling that was on super beautiful baby leave. She might be back, but I hate to give her name in case she is not.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Mark, Michael, Jeff,

Thank you all very much. I will try Christel as a start.

I am a PPA member (about a year now) and am also on the board of directors of our local PPA affiliate (Professional Photographers of the Greater Bay Area).

Will let you know how it goes, and thanks again! and any other thoughts, guidance and ideas are warmly welcomed.

Robert
    Robert Ash
    Robert Ash Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Dachowski View Post
    Last I knew the sprite that was handling that was on super beautiful baby leave. She might be back, but I hate to give her name in case she is not.
    Jeff
    Ohhhh, she back alright Been so for since late July
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

I don't think your program has to be a PPA approved program to get the merit. It does have to be a PPA approved program for your attendees to get a merit. But, if you teach a program to an affiliate PPA group, or a super monday, you can get merits. I was the president of a local affiliate group. We were allotted a certain number of merits that we could give to our speakers, based on our membership numbers. The speakers did not have to have their programs approved.

I just taught a class for our state affiliate. When they asked me to teach, I asked them if I could have a merit for it. They said yes. I am also signed up to teach a super Monday this month. I will also get a merit for that.