Merit Classes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merit Classes

Default Merit Classes

What are the steps in offering merit classes? I assume you have to be an approved instructor but I'm just guessing.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Default Re: Merit Classes

Here is the link to the form. It is under Community>PPA Affiliates>Affiliate Resources then scroll to the bottom.

http://www.formspring.com/forms/?651882-HWPFKfFme6

Chontelle
    Chontelle Brown, CPP

http://www.cottonblossoms.net

That's interesting that teaching a merit class gets a service merit and not a speaking merit.
    Christine Walsh-Newton, M. Photog., Cr., CPP
    Ohio CPP Liaison

Website Blog

I thught the same thing Christine. Super Monday gets speaking merits and it's the same thing.
    Greg Yager CPP

Thank you for finding that Chontelle. I must have went through a hundred links looking.
    Greg Yager CPP

Quote Originally Posted by Christine_Walsh-Newton View Post
    That's interesting that teaching a merit class gets a service merit and not a speaking merit.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregYager View Post
    I thught the same thing Christine. Super Monday gets speaking merits and it's the same thing.
    Not sure but guessing that it's because a continuing education class is put on by the speaker. They are the one charging for it and ultimately recieving any profit. So it's not really a benefit to PPA or any PPA affiliate. Maybe that's the justification for giving the less percieved value service merits? A Super Monday has no profit for the speaker. All money goes to PPA. So maybe they give speaker merits there to try and entice people to do Super Mondays instead of continuing education classes.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

That was my guess too. PPA makes money on both but it's minimal for continuing Ed at only $25 per person. I wish the merits were based on the task performed and not the cash generated but there's not much I can do about that. I've had a lot of people asking me to do some classes and I figured this would be a good way to earn speaking merits. I figured wrong. Oh well...I need service merits too.
    Last edited by GregYager; 06-28-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    Greg Yager CPP

Quote Originally Posted by GregYager View Post
    PPA makes money on both but it's minimal for continuing Ed at only $25 per person.
    Greg,

There's no profit at $25 as that's about what it costs to process a merit. With a full time staff at PPA and rent, their time is not "free".
    As PPA tries to tell members to examine their true COS, PPA is fully aware of it's overhead costs.

Jack, I have often wondered just how profitable the Super Mondays are. Takes a ton of work and marketing on the part of PPA. Does it pay off in the end, break even or actually cost to produce? Don't me get me wrong, I don't object whatever the final financial outcome because it's beneficial to the members. I am just curious.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Keith,

I don't have figures anymore, but Super Monday did make money in past years. It's a number looked at yearly by the Board.