2012 Show in New Orleans
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2012 Show in New Orleans

This will be the first time I am attending a seminar of this type. I am joining the PPA membership so I can get the discount on the show. I do not have anybody going with me so I was wondering, can someone tell me how this actually works? What will we be doing and are they offering classes for us? Would love to hear from someone that has gone to one before. Thanks for your help.
    Angela

Default Re: 2012 Show in New Orleans

Let's start with welcome to the forums Angela.

There will be classes galore to choose from. There will be an enormous trade show with every vendor you can imagine from labs to prop suppliers and everything in between. There's usually a party of some sort most every night that's sure to make you oversleep for the morning classes. My favorite part is the Print Exhibition. It's a must see.

The key to getting the most out of imaging is wear comfortable shoes and pace yourself. Don't let yourself be overwhelmed with information because trust me, it's easy to do. Considering the number of people that will be there you're sure to find plenty of new friends to hang out with while you're there.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Angela, Last year attendence was over 10,000. So it's huge. Even if you just go to the trade show and then the print show it will be more information then you can possibly absorb. There are many many programs to attend plus vendors have mini programs right in their trade show booth. People are friendly and you will strike up conversations just around the convention that will be just as beneficial as the programs themselves. I think there is usually a forum get together sometime early in the conference so it will be a chance for you to meet some people right at the beginning.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Welcome Angela. From a fellow Angela. lol

This is the place to be...for information on pretty much everything. And IUSA is a really great place to go for information, as well as a lot of fun. I'm planning to be there again this year.
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

Thank you all so much! I am in the middle of trying to make the big jump from my current job to being a full time photographer.I am really looking forward to meeting so many new people.
    Thanks Greg, for the shoe advise. I was wondering if this was somewhat of a casual event.
    Please continue to send me tips.

IUSA officially goes from Sunday thru Tuesday. Try to fly in on Friday or early Saturday. Try to stay in the headquarters hotel or close by.
    There is a party every night (either thrown by PPA or vendors) and classes start at 7am - so keep that in mind. The big party is Tuesday night so don't make your flight home on Wednesday an early one.
    Cassandra Sullivan, CPP
    Massachusetts CPP Liason

Cassandra's Photography
    Here & There - The Blog
    "If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."

We made our reservations today at the host hotel. Will be a lot of fun. Always is!
    Joe Campanellie
    CPP, M.Photog., Cr., Fellow-ASP

www.campanellies.com

Thanks again. I am blessed to be only 2.5 hours away so I wlll be driving in Friday night. I had planned on leaving Tues evening but now I wonder - What is the "big party" about that evening?
    How much should I bring, as far as camera gear and photos?
    Also, when can we expect the "schedule of events" be out?
    Sorry if am throwing so many questions out; I am just about to bust with excitement about this seminar )

Last year the Tuesday night party was a blast - dinner and a DJ and LOTs of dancing. And is kind of a setup for the next IUSA (i.e. last year's party was a New Orleans theme).
    The parties are all included - no extra charge.

There is a print critique you can sign up for - it is SO worth it - watch for details on that on this forum, so perhaps start gathering 8 or 10 images you want critiqued.

You don't NEED gear for this - maybe bring a P&S for 'fun' pics.

The Schedule is out pretty far ahead of time, go to http://imagingusa.org/ and watch for it to be posted.
    Cassandra Sullivan, CPP
    Massachusetts CPP Liason

Cassandra's Photography
    Here & There - The Blog
    "If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse."

Thanks so much Casandra! I really appreciate your time!