EI prints used in other comps? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: EI prints used in other comps?

I went straight to the authority, Randy McNeilly. Randy was print chair for SEPPA and is also the assistant chair of PEC and was acting chair of PEC at IPC this week. Randy said "There are NO awards whatsoever for EI cases at SEPPA other then being eligible for the Canon Par Excellance award" Anyone's EI case that goes 4 for 4 as well as all SEPPA member PO cases that go 4 for 4 are eligible for that award. So Mark - SEPPA member or not there is only one award available for EI cases and everyone has the same shot at winning it.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_McCall View Post
    Since PPA members have no other place but SEPPA to enter EI, why are SEPPA members the only ones eligible for trophies?
    I'm in SWPPA, not SEPPA, so I don't know what the award structure in SEPPA looks like...
    But as far as the awards go, the trophies that are being given out at Regional competitions come from the Regional association not from PPA. So it would make sense that only the Regional association members would be eligible for the trophies since the regional association and their members paid for them, not PPA... For PPA, the Regional associations are hosting the PPA District Competitions. The trophies are for the members of the states that comprise that Regional Association. The new PPA District structure has nothing to do with the regional associations. Just because a state is in a particular PPA Competition District does NOT mean that their state must become a member of another Regional Association. It just means that members from states outside of the Region can send their images to that particular District competition for seal of approval judging. It is possible that there may be members from several regional associations all sending their images in to the same District Judging. I believe that this will be the case with some of the northeast states and their Regional associations...
    And I know that explanation probably reads as clear as mud...
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 06-17-2011 at 02:04 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Keith,
    Thanks for going to all the trouble to settle that for me.
    Seems I've been fed some bad information by someone even less educated than myself. LOL. You are an officer and a gentleman.
    I will be sending my first EI case to SEPPA next spring. I'm excited!

I learned something else at IPC. Imaging Excellence Award Loans can be spread across PO and EI. AWESOME!

Rick,
    You are correct. Only SWPPA members are eligible for the awards at our judgings.
    I hold a dual membership between Texas/New Mexico. At the New Mexico Convention, I'm eligible for one award and one only....Best out of State, but I like that rule. Keeps guys from other states from swooping in and grabbing up the awards.
    BTW....it was good to see you in IPC
    M. Photog., Cr. CPP
    F-TPPA, F-SPPPA
    Vice President, Texas Professional Photographers Assoc
    Professional Photographic Certification Commission
    5 Time Photographer of the Year

Yeah Mark, it was nice seeing you again. I just wish that I could have hung out with the class a little bit more - but I was kept pretty busy this year... I wish I'd brought my pedometer with me - I'd like to know how many miles I walked this week !!! Hope you enjoyed it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by A_McCormick View Post
    Keith, thanks for the info. funny that PPA jsut came out with this brand new website for degree program to make it more understandable, and yet one of these degrees doesn't exist anymore.
    So is the Artist degree going to be the same thing just different name?
    Well, actually what the official explanation is that MEI is renamed Master Artist. Supposedly all the current MEI's didn't like being called that and wanted to be called Master Artists. Originally when the degree was created it was for videography and slide shows. That was probably 20-25 years ago. It eventually evolved to any image created with a digital camera and then further evolved to what it currently is- for the actual work done to an image with a computer. The master artist degree was earned through traditional artwork, either negative retouching or positive print work with dyes, oils, pencils, chalks etc. That is how I got my Master Artist degree. So several years ago the number of traditional artwork cases was dwindling and it was no longer financially feasible to seat a panel for an art tech judging to score 2cases, which is how many were at the last art tech at IPC. So PPA didn't do away with the Master Artist degree, it just kind of went dormant, because there were no competitions. Anyone who was actively entering Art Tech was given 4 years to complete the degree but no one did. So now we fast forward to last council meeting in Jan. PEC proposed to change the MEI dgree to now be called Master Artist. The other change is that entrants can now also add actual surface artwork with dyes, oils, etc to the prints. So while offcially the name of MEI was just changed to Master Artist, I feel that what really happened is the two degrees were combined. By the way, if anyone has old art tech merits still on their record, those can be applied to the new Master Artist degree. Also anyone who is currently an MEI or anyone who completes the requirments in this 2 year grace period will have the option to use whichever designation they wish - MEI or M.Artist.

Like I said earlier I am the only Master Artist who is actively pursuing the MEI degree. So what that means is when I finally get MEI I will be the last person ever to recieve all 4 PPA degrees. I am kinda proud of that!

Keith
    Last edited by Keith_A_Howe; 06-17-2011 at 02:32 AM.
    Keith A. Howe

So why not "Master Artist Squared" - that would be way cool - like an Artist on steroids - and you could be the only one!!!
    (still punchy, I know...)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Massarini View Post
    So why not "Master Artist Squared" - that would be way cool - like an Artist on steroids - and you could be the only one!!!
    (still punchy, I know...)
    Nah, I want that super cool ribbon with 4 colors!

Keith
    Keith A. Howe

That would make you one of only 6 with all of them... there's only 5 right now - right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Massarini View Post
    That would make you one of only 6 with all of them... there's only 5 right now - right?
    I don't know. I know Helen and Paul Tishim, who else? I would like to know if you do. I do know that I was the 10th person ever to have three degrees.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe

Keith Howe – A heartfelt Thank You for voicing your objection to the MEI/M.Artist name change. I’m very close to earning the EI degree and becoming the first in my state to do so. However, there is already a traditional M.Artist here and I feel that it will confuse a lot of people if these two different degrees have the same designation. It’s good to hear that there is now the option to distinguish between them as they both represent a great deal of dedication to obtain in different disciplines.

[QUOTE=Mark_McCall;257302]

Like you, I'm all for keeping awards in state. (I got two 98's in New Mexico, yet all the hardware went to 84 and lower scores).
    QUOTE]

Correction - I personally received multiple "hardware" for a print that scored 97 during the same competition in which Mark McCall mentioned his two 98’s. Nor was I the only New Mexican to earn awards for prints scoring in the 90’s this same year. (Wanted to clarify this as there are a lot of gifted photographers here in the Land of Enchantment and it’s only right that their hard work and talent be recognized and not misrepresented.)

Once again Keith – you have my appreciation for helping to avoid a great deal of potential misunderstanding in regard to the MEI/M.Artist degree designation.