Acknowledgment of prior professional work - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Acknowledgment of prior professional work

No Problem Mark.
    Yea JEff - that "poor little bunny" is pretty lucky!!!
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Quote Originally Posted by urbandogphotog View Post
    Is a new photographer to the industry who is great at exams, and has a good eye and passes submission with coaching help on what types of images to submit, the same as a photographer who passes the exam, passes image submission but also has over 10 years of business, shooting and client experience? Or is there room to acknowlegde that it does take experience to claim you are a professional photographer?
    I want a pin because I had to truck through 10 feet of snow, without shoes, uphill, to develop wet plates in a darkroom with no heat. And no candy bars.
    I deserve that pin.

In the photography business, skill, not longevity, is what counts. Sorry, but I've run across many photographers who think that doing it for a long time earns them something, that the business owes them something because they've been doing it for 15, 20, 30, 50 years. And you look at their work and they never kept up, they never changed, they never grew. I've seen many "pro" shooters who are frankly, terrible in my opinion. And I've seen newbies and students who knocked my socks off. And vice-versa. I got to hear Albert Watson give a talk at a lunch today. What an icon photographer. Humble beginnings and started shooting National ads right out of the chute. Knocked my socks off.

And then you run across someone like Joey Lawrence, who FINALLY turned 21. Take a look at his work if you don't know it. http://www.joeyl.com/

So to answer your question, yeah, a new photographer who can pass the test and has a good eye is deserving. And a photographer doing it for X years as a "pro" may not be deserving.

Each photographers earns it on their skills, not just because they've been doing it for years.

Not to get off topic, but WOW. I didn't know that Joey Lawrence had turned photographer, but he is definitely a better photographer than I am. And I am a CPP. So I guess we can bring this back around to the point...in order to become certified, he would still have to go thru the same process that all of us do. However, that doesn't mean he can't be considered a professional photographer now...it just means that he's not certified.
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

Quote Originally Posted by Angela_Lawson View Post
    Not to get off topic, but WOW. I didn't know that Joey Lawrence had turned photographer, but he is definitely a better photographer than I am. And I am a CPP. So I guess we can bring this back around to the point...in order to become certified, he would still have to go thru the same process that all of us do. However, that doesn't mean he can't be considered a professional photographer now...it just means that he's not certified.
    Moreover...you have to re-certify every five years. Although showing the proper continuing education events for the intervening five years can substitute for the test, it's still necessary to face the commission each five years to maintain certification.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

Your previous experience does count toward your CPP, in that it gives you a better chance to pass the test than someone that just started.

joey l. work is amazing, especially for a 21 year old he's like a prodigy
    joey doesn't need no stinking cpp or degrees or even professional memberships

Not to get off topic, but WOW. I didn't know that Joey Lawrence had turned photographer,
    Angela,
    Just to clarify, this is not the actor Joey Lawrence and this Joey is definitively a working professional photographer with a good agent, since about age 17 or 18. He just has the same name as the actor, hence he goes by "Joey L" a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Reznicki View Post
    Angela,
    Just to clarify, this is not the actor Joey Lawrence and this Joey is definitively a working professional photographer with a good agent, since about age 17 or 18. He just has the same name as the actor, hence he goes by "Joey L" a lot
    Oops, my mistake! His work is stunning though! And almost half my age. Grrrr!
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

Oops, my mistake! His work is stunning though! And almost half my age. Grrrr!
    I've got camera equipment older than him.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

I agree with the posters who said that thaving "X" amount of years as an established professional will easily give you a leg up on the exam and the portfolio review.

I am starting from the ground up, myself in pursuit of the CPP designation. Had I had 10 years of experience, the exam and the portfolio review would be less intimidating. Right now I am buried under self-study material (although I am actually enjoying it).