Acknowledgment of prior professional work
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Acknowledgment of prior professional work

I am curious if it has ever been discussed why certification process does not involve or acknowledge prior professional work, awards from other areas of the Photography profession?
    Suzanne Bird, CPP
    Ontario CPP Liason

Photography unleashed!
    suebird@urbandogphotog.ca
    613 296 4658

Default Re: Acknowledgment of prior professional work

suzanne
    be more specific
    what kinds of prior work or awards are you referring too?

I guess i am just curious if someone comes to ppa from an advertising commercial background, newspaper magazine background or sports shooting position...why their accomplishments and work as a professional in that field would not be a part of the cpp designation process?
    Suzanne Bird, CPP
    Ontario CPP Liason

Photography unleashed!
    613 296 4658

So are you saying that if somebody has worked in a different field of photography they should get credit for that and not have to go through the same process to get certified? Why should awards or experience in a different but related field exempt them? You can be a Master Photographer in PPA, have a dozen Imaging Excellence bars and still have to go through the same process to become certified. If we want the CPP designation to have any creditability then there standards have to be applied equally to everyone. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are suggesting?

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Why would professional accolades and experience from a photography career prior to PPA not be relevant or a part of the designantion process that is declaring a person a certified professional photographer, by all rights they already are a professional photographer.

For sure a prior resume should be relevant, i understand maybe not awards because awards are subjective, but if you are a successful working professional photographer in the industry already...there is not much to debate

Is there any room for this information in the cpp process as maybe supporting evidence of professional status ? It occurred to me that to build the pool of certified photographers and bring the awareness of certified pgotographer status to buying clients , that maybe including this piece of the puzzle in the cpp process may be more inviting to professionals already working, who may be snubbing their noses at having to start alll over proving their professional status all over again.

Our industry is in a crisis, so if we as a collective group across all genres of photography were to acknowledge the pros already working, would the cpp stamp not become more recognized by the buying public and in turn help the recognition of hiring a certified professional.....

I guess as well in my mind when i see craftman, masters ...... They are cpp to me in my mind...
    Suzanne Bird, CPP
    Ontario CPP Liason

Photography unleashed!
    613 296 4658

I'm a CPP liaison. (although I am not speaking on behalf of the certification commission)

Going through the certification process puts everyone on a level playing field - we all pass the same criteria. I think it would be burdensome to the certification body to have to look into each applicant's background and judge their prior work. If an applicant has that much experience and skill, then pulling 20 images to present and taking a 2 hour test is not a hard thing to ask.

And no - a Craftsman is not a Master is not a CPP. Those are very different things. I've been working very hard at obtaining my Craftsman and I'm 2 merits shy of it at this point. It took me several months to get my CPP, it will have taken me almost 3 years by the time I'm awarded the Craftsman and I imagine it's going to take another year or two after that to qualify for the Masters, and that's only *IF* I continue to be as successful in print competition as I was this past year. Not the same by a long shot.

Check out www.certifiedphotographer.com - it explains the process and reasonings much more eloquently than I can.
    Christine Walsh-Newton, M. Photog., Cr., CPP
    Ohio CPP Liaison

Website Blog

Well said Christine. I was going to respond too, but I think you've done a great job of explaining it.
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

Keep a few things in mind Susan....

CPP is not a PPA certification. It is an independent process that can be done with no PPA involvement.

CPP is a standard, not an award. A Master photographer should have no problem meeting these standards. They still have to go through the process though. No short cuts here and if it's going to maintain any credibility then there can't be any short cuts.

A person can obtain their Master of Photography and their Craftsman Degree without shooting a single portrait. They can sell 100% portrait work to their clients and receive their Master by submitting pictures of farm houses and flowers for competition. Then they earn their Craftsman by speaking to dozens of affiliates about how to advertise your work and package it in pretty boutique bags. None of this is a testament to their knowledge about what they sell to their clients. Certification is.

Building a pool of certified photographers by granting shortcuts to the process would be counterproductive. It's not about being easy. It's about meeting a certain standard.

You wanna drive a car, you have to earn a driver's license by taking a test that includes a written exam and a driving exam. You can be a Race car driver without a driver's license but if you want to drive on a public road you have to take the tests. No short cuts there either.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

You wanna drive a car, you have to earn a driver's license by taking a test that includes a written exam and a driving exam. You can be a Race car driver without a driver's license but if you want to drive on a public road you have to take the tests. No short cuts there either.
    I like that analogy.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

I hear what you are saying and understand about qualifying the elements of knowledge, but i will not agree that acknowledging someone's career in photography as a professional as an addition to the cpp process is giving anyone a short cut, calling it a short cut is discounting many many incredible shooters who are professional without cpp beside their names that in reality in my opninion should have certified professional photographer tatooed on their arms. there were no short cuts taken in their careers, just hard work, clients who respect their work, counting on them to know their job inside and out and phenominally talented.

I am actually quite shocked to hear and dismayed a bit to learn you could actually attain a masters with not shooting one photo.

Enticing professionals to mAintain their crAft and be a part of a designation has to make them feel welcome and acknowledged. Just wondering if they would be more willing to keep their cpp or get their cpp if there were some acknowledgment of their years served in the profession already?

I like th car analogy, but people have to practice to be able to drive....they would not be able to just take an exam, submit examples of what to do in soem scenarios and be able to drive, thye would still rely on their experience at practicing.

Fyi , i am working towards cpp as well, but was just throwing out some thoughts on cpp and what the state of thw industry is in.
    Suzanne Bird, CPP
    Ontario CPP Liason

Photography unleashed!
    613 296 4658