question about submission guidelines
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default question about submission guidelines

I was wondering about something: I took some photos of 3 sisters and their brother one day. Then later an older sister scheduled a specific senior shoot. Since the people are of the same family, should I only count these all together as one - and therefore submit only one photo from the whole family? Or do they count as two different shoots (different days, different people, different purposes)? I like a photo from the two different days, but I want to make sure I'm following the guidelines carefully if I do submit 20 photos.

Thanks for your help!

Emily

Default Re: question about submission guidelines

Was the older sister part of the original session? If so, then you can only use one or the other. The guidelines are that each image has to be of different clients (no two of the same person, even if from different sessions), from 20 different paying sessions. So, if this older sister was not a part of the first session, you could use the family session and her senior session.

Hope this helps!
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography
    Where Life + Art = Memories Forever
    http://www.aglphotography.net

Thank you for the answer!

No, she was not a part of the other session, which is why I was wondering.

I have another question:

I am trying to steer the types of photos I take in a different direction from what I've been doing in the past. Therefore, what I have as examples is primarily a couple of types of photography, but not really where I want my studio to be.

Should I wait to try to certify until I can market enough and get my studio where I want it to be, and thus have a better representation of the types of photos I take (and want to take), or go ahead with what I have so I can have the certification to show clients?

Well, you have 3 years to become certified once you declare your candidacy, but your work needs to be within the past two years of paid work. So, you could declare your candidacy now, and take the test sometime within this next year or two, while continuing to get your studio to where you want it to be. Or you could simply show the work you have been doing in the past two years, as long as it's a true representation of what you were doing thru that time period. I strongly believe that having your certification will help you show your clients that you are in a category above the rest, so I don't necesarily believe you need to wait, UNLESS you feel that the next couple of years would be better suited trying to hone your skills. Feel free to post a few of your images here for critique, before putting together your whole portfolio, if you'd like a bit of advice first. And please feel free to tell us more about what you have done in the past, and what you really want to do.

Hope that helps.
    Angela
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography

Thanks Angela,

Right now I am taking a hiatus with business as I'm expecting a baby in two months, and am trying to re-assess where I'm headed and do some major planning. I'm also taking this time to study for the CPP exam - thoroughly reading the book by London, and assess my pictures for quality, etc, to see if I can hope for certification with what I have, or if I need more time.

I've only had an official business for a little over a year and a half. My business has been slow, mainly because I really have done no other advertising beyond google ads. I was doing more head/shoulder types of portraits for families who wanted school type photos. I have also done quite a few "school photos" for a homeschool group, but my sessions were longer and parents were happier with my work because I took more time with the kids to get good expressions, etc, than your standard school photo session. This last year I worked to market location/ candid types of shoots, but it has been disappointing to find people only seem to want what to me is stagnant posed portraits over anything very creative. I'm sure I need to market better, and get better, though. I have improved a great deal over this last year, and that has been encouraging.

So I'm really trying to figure out where to try to head. I have had trouble taking the director's chair with portrait sessions, focusing too much on trying to please people instead of making my own decisions (and therefore getting better pictures). I'm getting better at that. I'm also a lousy salesperson. My husband came along to assist me on a shoot a few months ago and brought up large prints in the conversation, which the people hadn't even thought of. I think it is for this reason they actually got an 11x14 print instead of the typical 8x10s. I wouldn't have thought of saying anything, so I'm trying to work on this as well.

This hiatus is helping me to focus in on what I really want to do, instead of just responding and trying to get what people keep wanting. I've completely overhauled my website recently, and am trying to focus on saying what to expect ahead of time, so I'm not trying to do that on the spot. I really want to take more time to get to know people so I can express more of a story in my portraits, that says something about the person.

Anyway, this is where I am at currently. Thank you for your help!

Emily - Glad I could help. And it sounds like you are thinking things thru. I would suggest that while you are taking this hiatus, that you not only continue working on your technical and artistic skills, but consider taking a couple of business and marketing classes, and create a real business plan. That will help you in determining where you want to take your business, as well as help you begin to market to the type of people you really want to work with.

And feel free to email me angela@aglphotography.net or post here if you would like some assistance in looking over your current portfolio.
    Angela Lawson CPP
    Michigan CPP Liason
    AGL Photography

I am glad to see this thread...
    I am getting all my paid work together to submit, however, I have a rather unusual niche I have been working about 90% of the time.

I work in the professional canine competitions (like dog shows you see on television) taking not only their studio win photos but also "sports" shots of them in the event.

Since this is pretty much 90% of my business, is that what I need to submit?

I'd be interested to see Malinda's question answered as well :-)

I'm also wondering if you have any suggestions for business/marketing classes, or better yet - books to study to help me creat a real business plan. I agree I really need to develop a better one, and want to work on that right now.

Thank you!

as a note, we do weddings and portraiture as well, and can submit such, but it is not within the parameter of it should show what I do for a living. Also, what about animal professional portraiture?

We are talking about some high dollar animals - and we do equine (Rodeo and such) work..

I have about 7 days to submit and just don't know what to do.

Submit in the proportions of your business, roughly speaking. If the majority of your business comes from canine and equine portraits, submit mostly those. You will have to demonstrate the same things with such images as you would with any others; to wit: control of light, exposure, posing, composition, etc. Even if the judges are not experts in the niche, they will still know what good photographs look like. I would also include some of whatever else you do- weddings, business portraiture, or whatever. As long as the images are done at a sufficiently high level, you'll do fine.
    Mark Levesque, CPP, M. Photog., Cr. Photog, A.C. Ph., CPP Liaison, PPCC Judge