Lost motivation to enter District Print Comp
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Lost motivation to enter District Print Comp

So, before the PPA shifted to District structure, I entered the Mid-East State Regional competition as a "warm up" for the International, vetting prints to ultimately send to PPA International Competition and receive merits, etc. It was nice that if I merited at MES Regional, the print would also receive a "merit seal" and be signed by the MES Print Chair and thus would not have to be "re-judged" at the International Competition except to be in the consideration for the loan images.

Now that the move to Districts has been made, I fall into the North Eastern District in which the deadline is almost the same as for the International comp, thus pretty much eliminating the motivation to enter at the District comp.

As a side note/question, will the District competitions "seal" merit images for International comp?
    John Heckler, M.Photog, CPP

Avatar compliments of Laura Laine Photography

Default Re: Lost motivation to enter District Print Comp

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHeckler View Post
    As a side note/question, will the District competitions "seal" merit images for International comp?
    Yes,districts is where you will get seals.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

John, in theory, you would be entering districts and then get them back to save for the following year but, if you're like me, by the following year, I'm disinterested in those 'old' prints.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_Gregory View Post
    John, in theory, you would be entering districts and then get them back to save for the following year but, if you're like me, by the following year, I'm disinterested in those 'old' prints.
    Huh Linda? You will enter the North Central district at HOA the end of March. Then send on to IPC sometime in late April. Why would you save your prints from district and wait a whole year to send them on? Plus if you did get any seals at District they expire if you don't use them at the next IPC.

John, Give the dust a chance to settle here. Because many states and regions set their dates so far in advance the dates may be running a little close this first time around. I think that's an issue that will resolve in the next few years. If you want to feel sorry for anyone, feel sorry for the South West district. Their judging was last September. They have to hold those prints clear till this year for IPC. I would rather have just a week or two then have to wait around 7 months to send them on to IPC. Also I missed in your original post this line. "signed by the MES Print Chair" I just want to correct this so nobody gets confused. The print chair is the person from the host organization who is in charge of setting up the competition, hiring judges, etc etc. The print chair may or may not be an approved juror or JC and of course cannot set on a panel in their own district. They CANNOT seal prints. The only person who can seal prints is the overall jury chair for the judging. This is the person that was brought in to run the actual judging. The print chair runs the behind the scenes aspects.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Keith, Sorry, I did not clarify very well. Of course the sealed images must go on but I was referring to using the judging for a trial run...the ones that don't merit, take the critiques and make changes for the next year. Yeah, a whole year. wow.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

John,
    I think you are misreading an oppurtunity here....
    You have a chance to earn a seal of approval. A guranteed merit if you take it and send it in right away. You are able to earn Kodaks, courts etc from your state or region. Lets say you enter four prints, and they all earn a seal, then you are entered to win the Canon Par excellence award. let's say you get three to earn a seal, you can then make an adjustment to the print and send it in with you case, or swap out a print. You might have to pay a little bit more for the case fee, but you still have options. Remember if you send only to Nationals, you have no chance at any of those awards. Those awards are great for pr in your market.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Every award is a press release which is some great advertising.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHeckler View Post
    Now that the move to Districts has been made, I fall into the North Eastern District in which the deadline is almost the same as for the International comp, thus pretty much eliminating the motivation to enter at the District comp.

There is still a good reason for entering your District competition. It gives you two chances to merit that image instead of just one. So if you send it only to the IPC, then only one jury will see it. If you send it to your District first, then one jury will see it at the Regional and another will see it at the IPC. Two chances are better than one ! Not to mention that you can't win Gallery Awards, State and District Best of Show, High Print Case, best of category, the Canon Award, etc, etc... that you get a shot at when you enter your can at your District judging.

Of course, the timing will be a bit tight with the early deadline being only a couple of weeks after the District judging...
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 02-01-2011 at 06:25 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_A_Howe View Post
    If you want to feel sorry for anyone, feel sorry for the South West district. Their judging was last September. They have to hold those prints clear till this year for IPC. I would rather have just a week or two then have to wait around 7 months to send them on to IPC. Keith
    BWHAHAHAHHAHA!!! yes I know this ALL TOO WELL!!!!

SuzyQ

web
    blog

"TYSOS"

i am so confused Trying to wrap my head around all these levels of entering and feel I need a map.....must be the air up here
    Suzanne Bird, CPP
    Ontario CPP Liason

Photography unleashed!
    suebird@urbandogphotog.ca
    613 296 4658