Starting an Affiliate Association

Default Starting an Affiliate Association

I live at the crossroads of 3 states, Indiana, Kentucky and Illinois and was toying with the idea of forming a Tri-State affiliate association. Would somebody care to point me in the right direction for getting something like this started?

Please and thank you...
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Default Re: Starting an Affiliate Association

I believe you have to have an active association for 1 year before you can apply for PPA affiliation. You also have to have 10 active PPA members to qualify.
    CK McDaniel, Cr Photog., CPP
    Because Photographers have a BETTER IMAGE ...
    www.StudioEnVogue.com

Ok...recruiting members is easy. If they're not PPA members I can work on fixing that as well. Anyone here ever started one from the ground up?
    Greg Yager CPP

I would advise you to contact Crystal Aprigliano at PPA HQ for all the details. We just started a new North Louisiana Professional Photographers Guild this year, and we are going through the same thing right now. You will have to form a non-profit corporation and file for the appropriate paperwork with your state and Federal. You will not be able to give PPA merits to your speakers until you have met for 12 continuous months. Once your group has met for 12 months, then PPA will consider you for affiliate status, after which you will be able to give merits to your speakers - the number allowed is based upon the size of your membership and the number of PPA members it has. People attending meetings want to hear a speaker, and getting speakers is the biggest difficulty for new guilds - and without the ability to give merits, it makes it even more difficult to get speakers and a new group started. I believe that PPA has that rule in place in order to stop splinter groups from being formed due to political differences within a group with some people just deciding to go aside and form their own group because they can't get along with the people who are running the established affiliate.
    PPLA, was the force behind starting our new Guild, so PPLA is sponsoring the new guild's meetings for the first 12 months with PPLA presenting the merits to the speakers to help get the North Louisiana Guild up and running. You might want to talk to an officer in one of your three state associations to see if they might be willing to sponsor your new group and have enough merits in their annual allotment to do a similar favor for your new group. Who knows, if all three associations sponsor your group, it'll only cost them four merits each out of their yearly allotment. We were able to supply our new North Louisiana Guild with all the merits they needed for their first year and still have some left in PPLA's yearly allotment.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 12-22-2010 at 09:07 PM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Thanks Rick. I'll give Crystal a call and see what advice she can offer me.
    Greg Yager CPP

Hi Greg l Here is a group just like you asked about ... portions of 3 states. http://www.trianglephotographers.org/

LOL Greg, just saw this while cleaning house in the affiliate area.

Start with 25 to 40 other photographers who would be interested in forming an association. Get together for a while and try to put together a strong governance to your group. If things go well in about a year, then look into incorporating your association, then affiliating with PPA (Incorporation is required for PPA affiliate status).

Here's a key: Put together a Board of Directors. they will be responsible for visioning of your association, and nothing else. Your exec Committee would be responsible for overseeing the day to day operations and carries out the wishes of the directors. Make sure none of the above mentioned are involved in any committee work, other than overseeing the committees. You'll be surprised how your association will grow doing this.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Good Luck, Greg. Glad to see you're interested in starting a guild.
    When I was president of the Texas Professional Photographer's Association we initiated new guilds in Waco and in Texarkana. We started by contacting a dozen established photographers to see how much interest there was. They took it from there, drafting bylaws, electing officers and contacting speakers.

One thing that made a big difference is that the TPPA Executive Council agreed to sponsor the new guilds and dedicated 12 of their surplus speaker merits for the guilds to give to their speakers. If one or more of your state guilds is willing to do this.....and if their membership is large enough to permis more merits than they can use....you would be ahead of the game. Work hard to get PPA members. You not only need 10 to qualify for PPA affiliation, but affiliation requires the guild president to be a member of PPA. The folks in Atlanta should be able to advise you.

Vaughn Monigold
    M.Photog.Cr.

Greg
    would you be stepping on any other affiliate's. toes?