Cheaper Hotels?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper Hotels?

Default Cheaper Hotels?

I'm looking at travel deals, and am wondering if anyone has stayed in less expensive hotels/motels there. Or is it just better and worth it to stay in the $100+ places ? There seems to be a lot of places around the convention center.

Tamandra Michaels
    Heart Dog Studios
    http://heartdogstudios.com

Default Re: Cheaper Hotels?

Last year for Nashville IUSA , fellow OPPA forum member Kirk got a great deal using priceline for a decent hotel and many of us followed his lead. The only problem is you are never really sure of the exact location using priceline. Google Earth is a good resource for checking the area out and checking to see where specific hotels are in relation to the convention center. You can configure it to show hotels on the map.
    I booked a $100+ hotel a while back, but was hoping someone might discover a better deal with Priceline or Hotwire as we get closer to the event.
    Also, sometimes you can get a better rate using your AAA card than you can with the special rate PPA has secured, so it doesn't hurt to try that too.

tamandra
    last imaging in san antonio was bitter cold and ice storms.
    so if you expect to walk to convention center, pick a hotel that's not too far.
    and bring some warm cloths or layers & comfortable shoes.
    joe

Currently the Holiday Inn Riverwalk is running an Imaging deal at $109 per night. That's actually an excellent price. It's five blocks from the convention center but I understand there is a shuttle back and forth. I also checked the price separately as I am a big Holiday Inn Priority Club member and the best I could come up with for the same hotel was $139. Now all these prices can change up or down as we get closer to convention time. Sure you could probably get a lower rate out in the suburbs at a Red Roof or Super 8 but that means it could be a bit of a drive every day in and every day back.

The last time the convention was in San Antonio, the year of the ice storm, we stayed a Red Roof Inn that was just about 5 or 6 blocks away right on the other side of the Interstate just northeast of the convention center. The hotel was nice, they had a free multievel parking lot that kept your car out of the ice and there were a lot of conventioneers staying there. It was very reasonable and only about a 10 minute walk to the convention center. And they had free breakfast included. I think we paid around $65 per night.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

I'm booking thru hotwire right now. About $69 a night. It's the same thing we did last year and we had a great hotel room (Hyatt Place) for cheap. You can pick an area close the conference center, you just won't know the specific hotel until you book. But really, it's a great price!

That is a great price. I just worry about those "Texas" blocks. When the convention was in Austin we booked a hotel that was just "a few blocks away".

More like over the river and over the bridge to grandmas house. Was quite a hike when you're wife is in heels and all dressed up!
    Joe Campanellie
    CPP, M.Photog., Cr., Fellow-ASP

www.campanellies.com

The Holiday Inn is at the Riverwalk and five blocks from the convention center. I don't mind because I will just drive back and forth. The parking at the convention center is only $8 per day so no big deal for three or four days. I have a minivan so anyone else staying at the Holiday Inn can catch a ride and split the parking cost with me.

In the spirit of last year's "Hyatt Group" I just got this hotel for a bid of $45 through priceline- asking for 3 stars in the Riverwalk area (area 8).
    http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/SATST/main.wnt
    It would have been $125+ to book directly.
    It looks to be about half a mile away from the convention center, but they do have a shuttle(But as always, do they leave early enough for us to make the first session?)
    That is about the same distance I was in Nashville last year and Phoenix the year before, not a bad walk if the shuttle sleeps in.

Keep in mind that with Priceline "Your mileage may vary" and you could potentially end up with a different hotel even using the same criteria, but a 3 star for $45 anywhere in the Riverwalk area seems like a good deal IMHO.
    Last edited by Ed_Sharp; 12-05-2010 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Jackson View Post
    The Holiday Inn is at the Riverwalk and five blocks from the convention center. I don't mind because I will just drive back and forth. The parking at the convention center is only $8 per day so no big deal for three or four days. I have a minivan so anyone else staying at the Holiday Inn can catch a ride and split the parking cost with me.
    We'll be at the Holiday inn as well so we'll try to take you up on that!
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me