Speaking Merits...How to start - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Speaking Merits...How to start

Quote Originally Posted by GregYager View Post
    No way Mark, nope, uh uh, aint happenin.....(Stan said I need a sax in my picture to use this smiley but I think he'll let me get away with it this time)
    Look at John Paul Caponigro, with the hair tied back in place all the time.
    He is extremely well respected, in PPA and non-PPA circles of the industry. The info on his website alone, before attending his workshops, is phenomenal.
    Would Mark agree about the hair?
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Quote Originally Posted by GregYager View Post
    I would love to get into print judging but I feel I need to get a few competitions under my belt first and then take the classes on it. I entered our state fall competition and did much better than I thought I would by walking away with Best of Show and overall print case winner. I've been in business for 15 years and am playing catch up right now so I'm trying to get my Craftsman in under 2 years and going for my Master's immediately thereafter.
    Greg it will take you a while to get into the national judging arena. It's recommended that you are close to or already have your Masters. Then attend the judging school and start on your rounds of state judging. If you are really interested in the meantime attend as many state regional and national competitions as you can. As you get more print merits and attain your merits you can judge at states... It's a pretty rigorous job getting to the approved level at National but the journey is worth it. Every time I come home from a judging my work seems to move up a level.

Greg:

If I were to offer any advice, it would be to join Toastmasters International. It has clubs all over the world. I did a look at their site and see they have several within 25 miles of you. Toastmasters will give you the opportunity to hone your speaking skills in a supportive environment. I have been a member for a couple years and it has made a world of difference for me.
    Mark Oehler, ACB, CL
    Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | flickr | LinkedIn

Thanks Mark but I have no problem with public speaking. The inquiry was geared more toward where to speak; not necessarily how to speak.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Hi Greg,

Are you still trying to earn speaking merits? I am the new speaker coordinator the the 4 local affliliates in Tennessee located Memphis, Nashville, Chattanooga and Knoxville. We are looking for great speakers for later in 2012 and in 2013. We offer the opportunity to earn 4 merits in one week.

Peggy Weatherington

Very interested. Sending you a PM now.
    Greg Yager CPP

Greg,
    The Tennessee tour was a lot of fun - four bunches of very nice people. You'll enjoy it - Memphis on Mon, Nashvile on Tues, Chattanooga on Wed and Knoxville on Thurs - and maybe, if you're lucky, they'll have the Ocoee River running when you get there - it was turned off when I was there.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

I just spoke with her and will be e-mailing my programs tomorrow. I'm sure it will be a blast and being able to address 4 affiliates in 4 days is awesome.
    Greg Yager CPP

Peggy, If anyone was born to be a PPA speaker it's Greg, you are in store for a treat.
    I just hope when he starts speaking at IUSA he will still be able to set aside some time to help set up the print exhibit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Sharp View Post
    Peggy, If anyone was born to be a PPA speaker it's Greg, you are in store for a treat.
    I just hope when he starts speaking at IUSA he will still be able to set aside some time to help set up the print exhibit.

Y'all are my only friends when we go there, he better not forget us little people!