Local Affiliate Membership
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Local Affiliate Membership

I wonder what local PPA affiliated are experiencing in membership trends.

Is there a noticeable decline in total membership?
    Is there a noticeable decline in membership among veteran photographers?
    Is there a noticeable decline in attendance?

If so, to what do you attribute the trend?
    What, if anything, is being done to keep membership strong?

-- Vaughn Monigold
    M.Photog.Cr

Default Re: Local Affiliate Membership

Good question.... not sure since I haven't been at a local meeting in years.....

Here is one link of many regarding proper association leadership: http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/...ad.php?t=16036
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

I recently joined my State organization and I'm getting mixed signals.

I've been in business in the same location for over 15 years and in that time I was never contacted by them about becoming a member. This tells me that recruitment is somewhat lacking. I have submitted a proposal to correct that problem.

I visited the website and found a low level of involvement there as well. The last newsletter(online magazine) was published in Spring '09! I placed a few questions in the forums but the only reply I got was silence.

On the other hand they are trying something new by hosting a competition that will be judged via webcast. I'm assuming we will be able to follow along online live as the judging is taking place. This feature may spark new interest and inject a little life into the organization providing it works.

The organization I'm referring to is the KPPA, Kentucky Professional Photographer's Association.

I recently attended the Illinois Fall Conference and according to them their numbers are down considerably in all areas.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Greg--This is Rosemary posting here.

I am the one who talked with you earlier about the organization of KPPA. Sorry if I didn't get back to you more, but things have been incredibly insane around our studio with too much work--a nice problem, but constant editing!

Do you know who you sent the proposal to? We haven't heard a thing about it from any other board members, so please forward it to my husband at Jonathan@monarch-photography.com

I serve on the print committee and my husband, Jon, is on the executive board. He and several others have been trying to fix quite a few things. One of them is recruitment, which they are currently in the process of putting together new ways of getting the word out to Kentucky studios, whether they may established like you or new and in need of a state organization.

The thing is that it is difficult to make changes quickly when things have been done a certain way for so long. Membership is down across the board in many states, in my understanding. We have gained several new members over the past few weeks through personal contact of people we have met recently.

As for the newsletter, I don't even think that it's even posted on the site anymore, but they do one through e-mail and Constant Contact for members.

Right now, they are trying to get hotel room costs and state convention speakers for our KY state convention up in Florence in January of 2011.

And we are still taking submissions for the print competition/judging webinar this coming Sunday! Are you sending in your images? Feel free to write Jonathan with any questions!

There are many of us in the KPPA who do our best to recruit and make ourselves available. Please know that. We are glad to have you as a part of the organization.

Hey Rosemary,
    The idea of going studio to studio seeking new members and meeting current ones was mentioned to Barbara Yonts in a recent e-mail. She was very responsive to the idea and said she would mention it at the next board meeting.

I know it's hard getting people to see eye to eye on making changes so that really slows the progress down considerably but I'm very proud of where we're going with the online image judging. I don't call it a print competition because no prints are involved but I am still excited about what it can do to attract new interest. Am I understanding it correctly that the judging will be done in a live webcast?(please tell me it's true )

I will be entering 10 images in the contest and am currently getting some cc on them here in the forum. If you're not a judge in the contest feel free to give me some input. I have very thick skin so no need to sugar coat the critique.

The magazine is still posted on the site(that's how i knew the name of it and when it was last published) I would be very interested in bringing this back to life I'm just not sure who to approach about the idea.

I'm happy to help in any way I can just let me know where I can be useful.
    Greg Yager CPP

The thing is that it is difficult to make changes quickly when things have been done a certain way for so long.
    This is the single biggest problem that is plaguing all of the associations across the country. These are called SACRED COWS, an in order to make rapid changes to your association, your board needs to get up the courage to get rid of them.
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

I just finished reading the thread you mentioned Michael. Very good info there. It got me to thinking....does my state have affiliate chapters?

Rosemary.....You mentioned getting hotel prices for the Jan '11 convention in Florence. Are you referring the the Expo in Covington Jan 21-23? That's the only one I see on our web site and if they're two different events then that's three in January if you count Imaging(which I'm definitely attending).

I checked to make sure I was right about seeing the magazine online and I was off a bit. The last time it was published was July '09. Here is the link where I found it. http://www.kyppa.com/Reflexions.htm

I look forward to helping in any way I can to make both the website and the organization as a whole a better place. Even if all I can do is tell you what it's like from a new member's point of view.
    Greg Yager CPP

I have been involved in a couple of large organizations. One I was a part of for 10 years or so, until my daughter came along. It is called Toastmasters International. You may have heard of it. I have been an Area Governor 2 times, a Division Gov once (over central Alabama) and of course, various club positions at different times.

When I was single, it was not as hard. I made contacts that benefited me later on in my photography business. Division Gov was much different. It was like a full time volunteer job. And I had a business to work and run.

I was more than willing to delegate. I had plenty of volunteer TM work to go around and plenty of people step up to the plate help, but sometimes the work did not get completed and I still ended up doing it at the midnight hour. Occasionally there would be a club where the same people had run it since the beginning of time and had turned into 'sacred cows'. Those may have been the best run clubs. But the people running those clubs rarely did well in leadership positions outside those clubs.

My point is, most organizations are run by volunteers. Volunteers who have full time jobs, businesses, school, family, etc. They take on a volunteer position, but it is placed in an order of priority. As it should be.

In a perfect world, we have volunteer positions and enough individuals step up to take them. They learn their position, cross train and everything gets done. But life happens in the real world. Sometimes a simple answer to an email does not get answered b/c one volunteer does not know how to respond to a question and passes it on to the next volunteer, who puts it on the list of things to do...

In years of trying to find a 'local' ppa meeting to visit (and yes, I realize that I may have to drive an hour or two, maybe more) I have yet to get a month, day, time, month, etc.

Having "been there, done that" with other organizations, I do try to be understanding and offer to lend a hand when I can.
    Missy
    website~Melissa E. Wertz Photography
    blog~Images by "Missy"

And one day I will combined them on a splash page making it really simple. :-)

Greg--we would LOVE to have you help in any way you can! E-mail us and let us know in what capacity and we will definitely put you to work!

Yes, the image comp will be able to be viewed via web cast as well. Jonathan is now print competition chairman and I am writing down scores, so I probably can't look at any of your images until afterward, but you will also get feedback during the judging.

Have you sent in your image CD to us?

And we are under contract with the Marriott convention center for rooms--we have just worked to renegotiate because someone before us locked us in to a rather large commitment. Luckily, we were able to work that down a bit.

I look forward to meeting you! At state this year, we will have Toni Corbell, Kent and Sarah Smith, Cliff Mautner, etc. It is going to be a great one!