Degree Requirement Discussions - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Photographic Craftsman Degree

I have never received a paper certificate for any merits I've earned. I heard recently that the PPA was discontinuing issuing paper certificates. (Just photographer gossip - nothing official.)

How does one get the paper certificates and is that important to have?
    Christine Walsh-Newton, M. Photog., Cr., CPP
    Ohio CPP Liaison

Website Blog

Nobody has ever asked me to see my paper merits. The only thing I ever use the paper ones for is to copy and send to my state fellowship chairman so I get my state credits towards my state degrees. The only time a paper merit might be important is if you have one but it never shows up on PPA records.

As far as not getting merits from different associations that promised them. I assume you have a contract with the association? It should state in the contract how many merits you should get. It's not a great idea to speak without a contract. If you have sponsorship, they will want a copy of the contract for verification. If you don't get your merit from the association get on the phone and call them once a week until you do get it. That's not harrasment, that's making them do what they have promised in your contract.

I do know that sometimes I get a paper merit and sometimes I don't. I am not sure what the difference is, except it seems like if PPA is giving you the merits directly ( like from national comp, working print crew at national judging etc etc) you don't get the paper copy, it just shows up on your record. If you are getting a merit from an affiliate association ( speaking for them, being a state or local president) then PPA sends them a paper merit to present to you. Not sure if this is right but that's what it seems like to me.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_A_Howe View Post
    If you don't get your merit from the association get on the phone and call them once a week until you do get it. That's not harrasment, that's making them do what they have promised in your contract.
    I've had to do this in the past. Kind of a pain, but sometimes necessary. Keep in mind that these associations, especially if you're speaking for a small guild, are all operated by volunteers, and sometimes some folks bite off more than they can chew

I'm not saying it's right, just saying it's not uncommon. I haven't had issues like that at state or regional levels, only with the small guilds. If they don't get it done, become the squeaky wheel. One set of merits took me 4 months to receive - and that was after lots of emails and phone calls. And, as a side note, PPA national can't really do anything to help in that situation - it's between you and the guild.

For speaking gigs to count, do they have to be to other photographers?
    Like in October I'm speaking to our local artists association about copyright.
    Would things like that count?
    Cindi Delaney, future CPP
    We have no quarrel with those who choose to sell their wares for less.
    They know what their stuff is worth.

From a little sign that used to hang on the wall of my mother's restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Cindi_Delaney View Post
    For speaking gigs to count, do they have to be to other photographers?
    Like in October I'm speaking to our local artists association about copyright.
    Would things like that count?
    The only way that you can receive a merit is to do a program for a PPA affiliated organization or for an event that is sponsored by a PPA affiliate. Your local artists association is probably not a PPA affiliate. The PPA affiliate organization has to send in the merit request to PPA in order for you to receive a merit for speaking before their group.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Keep in mind as well that you local affiliate is limited to the amount of merits they recieve from PPA per year. It is proportional to the amount of PPA members that are in your local affiliate to some degree.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Campanellie View Post
    Unless it's for the convention. Unless things have changed you can get as many merits as you need if it's for your convention.

But...it's been a long time since I chaired a convention. I know it worked like Jeff stated for our monthly events but I thought convention was different.
    Joe,
    Conventions are unlimited in the sense that they dont count against your allocation. I did not bring that up so as to not confuse anyone!!
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Yes, for an annual convention by a state affiliate, the merits are basically unlimited and do not count against your yearly merit allocation. But some local affiliates, like guilds, don't have annual conventions, so for those groups, they have to operate on their yearly allotment of merits based on their membership numbers...
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Christel

To clarify ways in which one can receive merits:

For PPA members who participate (speak or volunteer) at a state annual convention, a PPA member can receive a maximum of four merits per person, per annual meeting for non-state members and a maximum of two merits in any one calendar year to a member of the state issuing merits.

While the state affiliate does not use their allotment for annual conventions, there are PPA by-law rules governing the number of merits that a PPA member can receive at an annual convention.

Hope that clears up any confusion!

Cheers,
    Christel

Default Re: Merits for attendance

I attended WPPI (gasp) in 2008 and 2009. Is it possible to get a merit for that? Is there a form to fill out? What is the process... Thanks