Degree Requirement Discussions - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: How are Degrees awarded

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Gan View Post

For more information, go to the top of this web page, click on Benefits and select Merits and Degrees.
    I've looked at that and it really isn't helpful. There is more information on the credential programs page.

Where or at what level of print competition are the merits awarded that are needed for the degree?

What is the significance of purpose of the voting stage? Just curious as to why that apparent formality is included.

Also, what is the history or significance of the sponsor thing?

- trr

Todd, the voting, as I understand it, is where any objections can be raised (and the degree applicant has the chance for rebuttal if there is an objection).

Marc, if you are going to Imaging, you should sign up for an Image Critique -- this would be a great way to get you started in the process of figuring out what images to enter. Also, you should check out the Exhibition while you are there... it has on display most of the merit images (except any that couldn't be safely hung).
    Betsy Finn, Cr.Photog., CPP
    bphotoart :: learnwithbetsy :: email

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Reichman View Post
    I get that, but the requirements for degrees are pretty well-defined - what would cause objections?

- trr
    Todd,
    one big no- no is saying you have achieved the degree prior to receiving it. Another might be an ethics situation.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Reichman View Post
    I get that, but the requirements for degrees are pretty well-defined - what would cause objections?

- trr
    I've heard in the past that objections would come up due to some ethics such and so...

Oh and when a recipient starts claiming (attaching the initials/advertising that they are) that they've earned the degree already during that year that you earned the merits but not marched yet.

Also, if new evidence of say cheating were to come into light. Example, turns out you did same subject in the same year but no one caught it. Or the instructor of the class you were in would object since you entered a print created during a class.

Complainers then calls their councilor, now that councilor has to bring it up. It would be really mean though if this happens during imaging week and the recipient and their families have already there room/flight/vacation already vested.

Those are the situations I could think of. I've attended 4 of the last council meetings and I've never seen a complaint. I've seen a last minute addition though last year. Something about a miscount on the merits and it turns out whoever it was had enough so they added her name to the list and let her March.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com

All degree candidates must be approved by council.

Once the names have been sent out there is a time limit as to when objection have to be made to a recipient. Usually it's on the basis of an ethics issues. There might be other situations.
    Joe Campanellie
    CPP, M.Photog., Cr., Fellow-ASP

www.campanellies.com

Default Re: Merits for attendance

Where do I look on the PPA website to see how many merits I have earned? Can't find it...
    -Phillip Colwart, CPP
    www.phillipcolwart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip_Colwart View Post
    Where do I look on the PPA website to see how many merits I have earned? Can't find it...
    Phillip,

When you log in at www.ppa.com, you should see a section on the left hand side of the screen (you must be logged in to see this) with links like 'My Merits,' 'Edit My Membership Record' etc... Click on My Merits to display (and possibly print) your merit record.

Just what I need...more merits !

It's a pretty easy system to understand...each degree has it's own colored ribbon. When you see people with multi colored ribbons then it signifies that they have multiple PPA degrees.

Master Photographer - gold ribbon
    Craftsman - blue ribbon
    Master Artist - white ribbon
    Master of EI - red

Then each state has it's own degree system and it's own colored ribbons on top of all that. You just have to assume that when you see someone with a lot of bling that they have worked pretty hard to get where they are. Orin my case...bought some stuff on ebay... !
    Joe Campanellie

www.campanellies.com

Imaging Excellence is for 13 loan prints. I think that has to be above your master's degree...I think. Not sure on that point. Once you get your first 13 you get a different colored medallion (black) with a diamond in the center.

Each 13 after that you get a bar.

The arrowheads are for photographer of the year. Each has a different level and different designation. From meriting all four prints up to the diamond which is the highest for all four prints going loan.

Master's Degree 13 print merits and 12 service or speaking or judging merits for a total of 25

Craftsman Degree 13 speaking merits with another 12 from other sources such as above for a total of 25

EI Degree 13 EI print merits with the other 12 from a variety of service, speaking, and judging for a total of 25.

Each 25 after that you get a gold bar.

That's the short version...
    Joe Campanellie

www.campanellies.com