Degree Requirement Discussions - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Default Degree Requirement Discussions

This sticky is a continuing collection of posts copied from various threads identifying and discussing the specifics of attaining PPA degrees and awards.
    Last edited by KirkDarling; 10-11-2010 at 07:18 PM.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

Default Re: Degree Requirement Discussions

My wife and I are members of the affiliate AZPPA (Arizona). The AZ affiliate has twice a year formal print judging events where entrants can get a "merit" from the the judges. Last time, about 10 of the 100 or so entries "merited". My question is "what are these merits worth?"
    Do they apply towards a degree? are they local only? Do they apply to national PPA degrees?

No, they are state merits and do not apply to the PPA degrees. I assume AZ has some kind of state degree program that maybe those state merits would apply to.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_A_Howe View Post
    I assume AZ has some kind of state degree program that maybe those state merits would apply to.
    Keith
    I had no idea that there was such an animal.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Many, if not most, of the State associations have their own internal recognition programs for their members that is sometimes similar to the national association's program. The programs provide a means for recognition of those who participate and give back to their profession on a state level. State merits earned within your state would be applicable towards your own state's degrees.

We have just revamped our state Fellowship and Merit program to create two new state degrees - a "PPLA Service Degree" which is similar to the PPA Craftsman's degree, and the "PPLA Imaging Artistry Degree" which is similar to the PPA Masters degree. The Service degree rewards members who provide service to the association and the profession. The Imaging Artistry degree rewards those who have excelled in imaging competitions. Our association's program, in certain cases, recognizes contributions done on the national level that is deemed beneficial to our state association. State Merits earned within our state program do not apply to PPA national degrees since they are issued by PPLA and not by PPA. Once you earn both the Service and Artist degrees, you gain the classification of PPLA Associate Fellow. To earn the PPLA Full Fellowship, you must earn twice as many Service and Artistry merits as it took to earn the two initial degrees.

State print merits earned at your state or local association competitions will not apply towards PPA degrees, these can only be earned at the PPA International Competition. You can receive a "seal of approval" at a PPA affililated District judging which will automatically become a merit when the image is submitted to the PPA International Competition.

Your state or local PPA affiliate can also give a specified number of PPA merits each year for Speakers who present educational programs at state conventions or local monthly or quarterly meetings. The number of PPA merits available to the state or local affiliates depends on the number of members in the association and the percentage of those members who are PPA members.
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 11-05-2010 at 12:29 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Not sure I put this in the right place but here's a link if it should have been in here

http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/...ad.php?t=21743
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    Massachusetts CPP Liaison

Brogen Photography
    www.brogen.com

how do you submit a pic

Are you asking about submitting images to print competition? Or how to post photos on this forum?

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

So I'm confused. How do you get your merit on record? If I did say a community event for photography, how would I submit that for a merit? Or if I got an award in a national competition? I can't find anywhere on the website how you GET a merit.

Here is the link to the information you want: http://www.ppa.com/education-events/...ing-merits.php
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com