Degree Requirement Discussions - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: How are Degrees awarded

Pretty much correct Mike. The 12 merits can be including, or any other merits (Most will reserve their degree merits though - for example, not use exhibition merits towards the Craftsman, etc.).

Oh, BTW, and this goes for all certifieds. There is no "PPA Certified" anymore. We are trying to get the word out to all CPPs that it is now "CPP". You are all certified under the CPPC (Certified Professional Photography Commission).
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com

Default Re: Merits for attendance

I was reading vital signs and remembered this thread and thought I would post the link to this article, in case anyone missed it. This gives detailed information about what is need for each degree.
    http://www.ppa.com/articles/310/Vita...-Get-There.php

Interesting degree discussion - I joined last year, taking my CPP in March, and heading for the Master, and eventually Craftsman degrees.

I noticed a degree no one has spoken of... MASTER ARTIST. See here:
    http://www.ppa.com/findaphotographer...hp#DiffDegrees

Photographic Craftsman
    Master of Photography
    Master Artist
    Master of Electronic Imaging

Now, I checked out the link Ed Provided and guess what? Master Artist isn't there! Anyone know what's up with this?

Additionally, ASSUMING I host 2 Super Mondays a year, and Present a program at my State conf. (which I assume would be an affiliate program) and am LUCKY enough to get an article published... I might pull off six meits in one year - if I got REALLY lucky!!!
    I would just like to understand more about creating opportunities and finding ways to share/present - make the degree more of a reality. I'm more than willing to work for it, just wish there were more ops to speak/teach. Are there no other ways to gain these points outside of Super Mondays, and/or Prof. Photog magazine articles? My state's newsletter is sewn up... :O) I'm looking for opportunities to help with IUSA to gain points also...

I have a background in corporate training, and am comfy in front of a crowd and LOVE LOVE LOVE to teach.
    Thanks!

(BTW - I had planned to add the CPP info just like Phillip did when I get the official nod... Glad I read this post!)

Quote Originally Posted by ninabeheim View Post
    Interesting degree discussion - I joined last year, taking my CPP in March, and heading for the Master, and eventually Craftsman degrees.

I noticed a degree no one has spoken of... MASTER ARTIST. See here:
    http://www.ppa.com/findaphotographer...hp#DiffDegrees

Photographic Craftsman
    Master of Photography
    Master Artist
    Master of Electronic Imaging

Now, I checked out the link Ed Provided and guess what? Master Artist isn't there! Anyone know what's up with this?

Additionally, ASSUMING I host 2 Super Mondays a year, and Present a program at my State conf. (which I assume would be an affiliate program) and am LUCKY enough to get an article published... I might pull off six meits in one year - if I got REALLY lucky!!!
    I would just like to understand more about creating opportunities and finding ways to share/present - make the degree more of a reality. I'm more than willing to work for it, just wish there were more ops to speak/teach. Are there no other ways to gain these points outside of Super Mondays, and/or Prof. Photog magazine articles? My state's newsletter is sewn up... :O) I'm looking for opportunities to help with IUSA to gain points also...

I have a background in corporate training, and am comfy in front of a crowd and LOVE LOVE LOVE to teach.
    Thanks!

(BTW - I had planned to add the CPP info just like Phillip did when I get the official nod... Glad I read this post!)
    You won't find the Master Artist requirements on the web site since the degree is no longer available. Master Artist was a degree for Artists and retouchers working in "conventional" media - those being pencils, oils, dyes, etc. As conventional retouching and artwork has been replaced by digital artwork, the Master Artist degree has been replaced by the Master of Electronic Imaging degree. Interest in the conventional Art-Tech competition waned and the last year it was offered, there were no entrants in the Art-Tech category. Art-Tech merits were required for the Master Artist degree.

There are a lot of ways to earn merits within PPA. You already know about merits for speaking at conventions, Super Mondays, and articles in the Professional Photographer magazine. You can also earn service merits by volunteering to work at the PPA National Convention assisting the Program Talent and assisting the staff do other necessary jobs to run the convention. You can also receive a (1) service merit for serving as a member of the PPA Council for your state. If you become your State association's President or State Convention Chairman, you receive 2 PPA service merits for your service to the profession by leading your state association (but no one takes on these kinds of jobs just for the merits, since being a PPA Councilor or an Association President or Convention Chairman takes up a heck of a lot of your time). If you are selected to be a judge at one of the annual state convention print competitions, you will receive a merit for that service. Another opportunity is to volunteer to work at the PPA International Print Judging, or at the convention putting up and taking down the print exhibit. There are lots of opportunities to earn PPA merits, but accumulating merits is not a quick thing - it takes time and dedicated service...
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Default Re: Photographic Craftsman Degree

Some of you may be able to answer this - is there a particular department that handles these degrees?

I just looked up my merits and I have 15 speaking merits (actually should be 17 but one of the state PPA conventions are not listed on there - though I do have the paper certificate) and also have 18 service merits. This should qualify me for Craftsman Degree, correct?

I'm wondering if the application or something got lost in the mail or mixed up with my name change (got married last year).

Thanks for any guidance!

Yes you have enough, but as the degrees won't be confered till IUSA next January you won't be contacted until probably October or November. If you want confirmation call PPA and ask for the merits and degrees coordinator.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_A_Howe View Post
    When was the PA event? I suspect if you have the paper merit though that means it was ordered from PPA and the mix up is probably at PPA not in PA. If it's only been a couple weeks, then give it another week or two and then call PPA and ask for the merits and degrees coordinator. The other thing is you can only get a certain number of speaking merits from any one association in a year. So if you gave more then one program in PA in the same year, you might not have been eligible for speaking merits the second time around.

Keith
    Thanks Keith for the info!!

I actually had most of these since 2007/2008 so I'm not sure why I was not contacted back then? I got married in 2009 and my last name changed, but not my address so I would have still received stuff in the mail but I honestly do not remember anything ever coming.

Here's what I have (or should have) for speaking/authoring:

1/16/07 - Imaging USA Speaker - 5 merits
    6/27/07 - Chicks that Click Speaker - 5 merits
    10/9/07 - PPA SC Conference Speaker - 2 merits
    12/1/07 - Article Professional Photographer Magazine - 1 merit
    2/5/08 - PPA Michigan Speaker - 2 merits

1/20/08 - PPA Nebraska Speaker - should have merits for this but I don't see any listed. I have my speakers contract and the wooden plaque in the shape of Nebraska, but no merits shown on my merits page. I think I have the certificate around here somewhere too. I remember this one quite clearly. On 1/19 we had a flight canceled an the entire ATL/SE area airports shut down for a snow storm. We rented a car and drove 20+ hours to get from Atlanta to Nebraska in time for me to speak, no only 1-3 hr sleep. I was very grateful for a friend there to help me drive through the snow all day Saturday. We only had 25 hrs or so to get there and the drive was about 20 hrs in the snow.

Then I've got the various 18 service merits.

I suppose there is some confusion on my account due to my name change perhaps I'll just call next week and find out. They're supposed to consolidating my accounts right now (so my maiden name PPA stuff goes with my PPA records since I got married).

I honestly never paid much attention to the merit part of all this until this year - I just spoke where called to. Now there's so many photographers coming into the market - it makes sense to pursue these degrees to set yourself apart.

Thanks for your help!!

I have to admit I'm a tad discouraged lately because although I have enough speaking engagements to earn my merits, I always seem to have a problem actually getting the merits! I always ask for them up front and remind them about my ppa # just prior to the event, but so many of the guilds simply don't request them in time... It's driving me crazy because I've gotten in my car and driven up to 7 hours for one engagement and still haven't gotten that merit! I've actually considered giving up on the whole thing because there's really no recourse to get the merits that I've already worked for or at least it's my understanding that speakers are really at the mercy of the guilds...
    CK McDaniel, Cr Photog., CPP
    Because Photographers have a BETTER IMAGE ...
    www.StudioEnVogue.com

Cindi - Thank you for bringing this up. I just did my first speaking engagement last week. My merits for that were showing on my record when I checked 2 days later, which was amazing to me. Since it seems that other groups may not request the merit in such a timely manner - I would like to know how this whole "request a merit" thing works so that I may keep abreast of what should be happening within what timeline.

I have just enough engagements scheduled this year to earn my Craftsman and have it awarded in Jan 2011. I would surely hate for one group to hold that up.

Can you or anyone explain how this process works?

Thank you.
    Christine Walsh-Newton, M. Photog., Cr., CPP
    Ohio CPP Liaison

Website Blog

There's no big secret to how requesting a merit works. The association manager fills in a form and sends it to PPA. PPA will check the group's merit allocation to assure that they have the merits to give, then PPA Headquarters issues the merit. Some associations order the merits in advance of the program and have the certificates on hand to award at the conclusion of the program. Some associations request the merit after the program has been presented in which case PPA will credit the merit to the members account and mail them the certificate.

Also be aware that just because you have not received a merit certificate, it does not mean that you did not receive the merit. I have some service merits (from the PPA-PEC for working at the national judging) credited to my account that I have never received the certificates for (maybe they just got lost in the paper shuffle or lost in the mail) - but the merits were credited to me on my merit report, so I did get the merits.

Cindi - you may want to check your merit report to see if they were credited to your merit record - you may have the merit and just be missing the paper certificate.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman