What lamps?

Thread: What lamps?

Default What lamps?

I want to purchase lamps to replicate the lighting done at convention. Anyone know the specifics? I know they have a red cast, that's why we print them more cyan. They'll then have the right warmth during judging.
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

Linda,

Contact PEC committee via PPA's office. I know people who have the specifics, and will try locally to get them. For sure a lab might want to have a set up to look at client prints before shipping.

I don't think there should be any color temp shift, just the intensity of light.

George
    George Hawkins
    Cr. Photog.

Your lab should have that setup, so they can see the comp prints they print in the correct lighting. HS Photo does, and I imagine most do.

Default Photogenics ...

Photogenic Mini-Spots have always been used for print competition. A lot of labs have invested in them ... for the corner, of the lab,where they can evaluate prints.

You must have even lighting. Using a light meter set at 100 ISO, meter for one second at F16 so you get that reading in the middle and all 4 corners of the image. Also, prints are displayed on a turntable behind 18% grey roll paper. So display the prints in an area of neutral color.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
    floryphotog@mindspring.com

Default Lamps

Linda,

On the PPA.com site under competitions you will find a link to download the Jury Chairman manual.
    http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=38
    The link to the manual.
    http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=405

Below is a quote from the manual about what the settings are and what bulbs to use....

On page 4 of the Jury Chairman manual approved by PEC

Using fresh 150 watt clear bulbs, of correct voltage, should produce a meter reading of f 16 or EV8 @ 1 second at 100 ISO. The corners of the image must receive no less than 75% of the intensity of the center of the image. The
    most important element is the amount of light on the image being judged!
    Note: Be sure you have spare 150 watt BEC bulbs on hand.

The mini spots must have barn doors. Recommended bulbs are 150 watt BEC.
    Room light should be suppressed to approximately 15% of that of the easel.

BEC is the model for the bulbs.
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

Quote Originally Posted by D. Craig Flory
    Also, prints are displayed on a turntable behind 18% grey roll paper. So display the prints in an area of neutral color.
    Actually Craig, quoting from the PEC manual...

The turntable should be surrounded with matte gray cloth of approximately 60% reflectance.

I just went through this for our NH competition as we needed a new fabric.... The manual even says "flat black is acceptable".
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com

Thank you all, for your help!
    Linda Gregory
    www.lindagregory.com

8. Default

Linda,
    The lights are made by Photogenic and must be custom ordered from them now. They quit making them for a while. We usually refer to them as inky Dink spots, I don't know what they are properly called. Having a set for yourself will be a great asset. As Don has posted, the lighting set-up is in the JC manual. Be sure to use the 18% grey for a background so that your print will look proper under the lighting.
    Buddy Stewart PEC vice chairman