Why do colors look different after upload?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Why do colors look different after upload?

I just finished uploading my CPP images today and two or three images looked totally different (color) when I saw them on the final summary page. I actually went back and changed them, but now I'm worried what they will look like when judged.
    When I reloaded the files in photoshop they looked fine, but I adjusted them based on what I saw on the final page.
    Has anyone else seen this?
    Any suggestions?

Default Re: Why do colors look different after upload?

Quote Originally Posted by dechols View Post
    I just finished uploading my CPP images today and two or three images looked totally different (color) when I saw them on the final summary page. I actually went back and changed them, but now I'm worried what they will look like when judged.
    When I reloaded the files in photoshop they looked fine, but I adjusted them based on what I saw on the final page.
    Has anyone else seen this?
    Any suggestions?
    Did you process the images on your computer on a calibrated monitor? The judges use calibrated monitors so if you did, I would not be too worried about how they looked in the upload area across the Internet. If your monitor is not calibrated, you will have no idea what they look like when they get to the judges.
    Roger Williams, CPP
    www.Tranquility-art.com Portrait/Wedding
    www.TAP-Online.net Sports when time allows

Most browsers do not recognize icc profiles. I know Safari does, but again many others do not. When I uploaded my images to the cpp site, they also did not match (even though I am using Safari).

As Roger stated, if you're using a calibrated monitor, you should be fine.
    Mark Katz, CPP

www.markkatz.net

Thanks Mark & Roger. My monitor is calibrated.
    Are you suggesting that I go back to the original image I uploaded, and disregard how green is looks on the summary page? I also went back to double-check that they were saved as sRGB's. It's a little nerve-wracking to see one image too red in photoshop and upload it and it looks fine.

I would probably use the original image, but then again one of the images that I uploaded didn't even show on the CPP website. The page confirmed the image was uploaded, but all I saw was a blank screen. I went ahead and uploaded a different image.
    Mark Katz, CPP

www.markkatz.net

I'm out of the studio right now and not on a calibrated monitor but maybe Mark would be willing to have you e-mail the image to him and he can look at it on his calibrated monitor. If not, you can send it to me and I will look at it tonight when I get done in the studio.
    Roger Williams, CPP

Quote Originally Posted by Roger_Williams View Post
    I'm out of the studio right now and not on a calibrated monitor but maybe Mark would be willing to have you e-mail the image to him and he can look at it on his calibrated monitor. If not, you can send it to me and I will look at it tonight when I get done in the studio.
    Certainly! If you'd like to e-mail it to me. I'll be glad to take a look at it. Send it to mark@markkatz.net
    Mark Katz, CPP

www.markkatz.net

How did this end up? Was it OK when viewed on Mark's calibrated monitor?
    Roger Williams, CPP

Roger,
    Thanks for the follow-up, I'm glad I sent Mark the samples. I believe the biggest problem was they were NOT sRGB. After I converted all and re-uploaded they looked much better.
    Either way, we both agreed to go with the original images that looked right on our monitors while viewing in photoshop.
    Take care,
    Dennis

Roger & Mike,
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!

I got my notice last Friday that my images passed and I have the CPP title now.
    I'm convinced that this would not have happened with the color shifts I had from incorrect color settings in Photoshop.
    My house burned to the ground last week, and if I had to resubmit again, it would have been a major challenge. I lost 8 TB of data in the fire. Luckily, I have my 3.5 TB's off-site that has all my current clients work.

Thanks again,
    Dennis