The 12 Elements - Creativity
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default The 12 Elements - Creativity

"Creativity is the original, fresh, and external expression of the imagination of the maker by using the medium to convey an idea, message or thought"

Ok, the more who contribute to this discussion the more valuable it will be for everyone. So questions, comments, examples of creativity.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Default Re: The 12 Elements - Creativity

I'm glad you started here because this is where I seem to struggle the most.

When you are judging prints and looking for creativity are you looking more at composition or technique?
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

It's been my observation that judges love to see something totally new and different. A lot of people send in the same kind of images all the time, some because that is their style, and some because that what they think that the judges want to see. I see it all the time at the national judging - something new, different and creative spins around, the judges go "wow" and it goes into the Loan !!
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

How does an entrant know what is new or different to a judge? Can past judges point to an example that struck them as new when it came up?

- trr
    REICHMAN
    www.reichmanphotography.com

www.amantofish.com
    - Meaning, purpose and profit for photographers -

SEXY BUSINESS WORKSHOP
    Three days to a rock-solid business plan, an effective and profitable pricing structure and a mouth-wateringly compelling brand

I'm certainly not the expert Keith is when it comes to judging but when I consider creativity I think mostly of technique. But creativity can certainly enter into the process with an unusual approach to composition as well as presentation. Like most of the 12 elements they are not comprised of just one thing but a variety of things that are used in conjunction with one another that make each element successful in a print.

When I first started to enter print competitions I was always looking for some creative approach that would catch the judges eye and make them take a second look.
    Joe Campanellie
    CPP, M.Photog., Cr., Fellow-ASP

www.campanellies.com

One example of a creative composition that immediately pops into my mind was an image from the Loan Collection several years ago of a close up of a frog taken at waters level right into his nose with kind of a double image reflection effect - it made you stop and try to figure out just exactly what it was that you were seeing...
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Does someone have a sample of a merit image we can go by to discuss it's creative element?
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

what is considered new, fresh and original when photographing people? I feel like there are only so many poses you can use w/a person. Something might be new, original and different for me and the person I'm photographing, but in reality I would bet I've probably been inspired by something I already saw.

I don't struggle w/being creative or feeling creative for myself.

Is it sorta like the right combination of things? Such as, the unique combo of posing/lighting/subject/background/editing/title? Where each thing on its own would be ordinary but combined its unique?

So is creativity the culmination of all the elements?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd_Reichman View Post
    How does an entrant know what is new or different to a judge? Can past judges point to an example that struck them as new when it came up?

- trr
    Original and fresh -could be a different subject matter, like when we first statrted seeing images of pregnant women. Years ago boudoir was new.

It could be the technique. I was in the audience the first time a poloroid manipulation spun around. You could see the judges shuffle in their seats. Lucius filter was new and fresh at one time. Spot color is another example of a technique that once was fresh.

Original and fresh can be composition. An example that comes to mind is an image Jeff Dachowski entered a few years ago of his mother in law. She is facing into almost tight against the right hand side of the image. She was posed seated on a stack of suitcases with her body position slanted toward the right. If I remember correctly Holly gave him a title of "Going Places" So the different and rule beaking composition was original and fresh - especially for a mature woman and the the title added to the story of her being always on the move so much she was almost headed right out of the image. At one time long skinny prints were new and fresh.

Another example I can think of is a very unique or different viewpoint of a subject. Sometime in the last few years I saw a wonderful image of the bride and her dad entering the ceremony - something that's been photographed a million times. But this image was taken almost straight down from above, probably the photographer hung over the balcony rail. It was a new angle on an image that every judge had probably done hundreds of times themselves.

I find it ineresting that some people accuse PPA judges of to "in the box" type of thinking and yet one of the main elements we consider is creativity. Enter something that is truly creative or unique and assuming that there are not a lot of other flaws like techical issues and it will go far.
    Keith
    Keith A. Howe

Quote Originally Posted by Tss1203 View Post
    Is it sorta like the right combination of things? Such as, the unique combo of posing/lighting/subject/background/editing/title? Where each thing on its own would be ordinary but combined its unique?
    I was composing my response while you were posting yours. To answer your question, yes it can be the unique combination of everything but it can also be just one of the things you have mentioned but done in an original and fresh way AND done well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tss1203 View Post
    So is creativity the culmination of all the elements?
    Could be - or again it could be one element that is new and different. Another example that I didn't mention in my post above is presentation. Watercolor paper was a fresh and original presentation when it first started showing up in print competition. I have a traditional studio head and shoulders portrait of a brother and sister that went loan a couple years ago, but it was printed on watercolor paper. At the time, we had seen lots of wc paper for fine art images but not so much on portraits. That choice of presentation made a rather ordinary image be fresh and original. Of course it was technically well done also or it wouldn't have made it into loan. Impact is what is truly - at least IMO - the culmination of all the elements. But I think as we all progress through these 12 elements it will beome obvious how interwoven they all are. There really isn't any element that is not effected by the other 11.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe