Advertising Rules
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advertising Rules

I was wondering what the rules are for using the CPP logo in a Photographer's promotional material.
    1. What are the general rules?
    2. How are the rules enforced?
    3. Are there procedures in place to report suspected misuse of the CPP logo?
    Regards,
    Howard Kier, CPP Weddings, ABI, MBA and DAD
    Magical Moments Photography

Default Acceptable

Howard,

When you download the zip file of PPA logos from the site, there is a file included that shows acceptable uses of the PPA logo. Have you accessed this file yet?

Jackie

P.S. From Chicago burbs huh? Heard of Haggerty Chev., Pontiac, and Ford? I might just know them....
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

― C. JoyBell C.

Default The Heart of the Matter

All right, rather than beating around the bush, let me get straight to the point. I suspect a photographer or two are claiming in print advertising to be CPPs when they may in fact not be or may have let their CPPs expire.

What should I do?

P.S. I drive a Montana and my wife drives a Malibu. Both will need to be replaced in the near future.. Hint Hint, Nudge Nudge
    Last edited by Howard_Kier; 05-13-2006 at 03:01 AM.
    Regards,

Default Contact PPA

Howard,

If that is the case, let PPA know if that is the case. If they feel it is necessary to address, I am sure they will get the job done.

Jackie

P.S. Go to the Glen Ellyn Haggerty Chevy and ask for Mike (Haggerty,of course). He's the new car manager. Tell him I sent ya.
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

― C. JoyBell C.

Default Who to contact

Is there a specific person or department which should be contacted with my concerns?
    Regards,

Default First ...

Hi Howard;

You could first go to www.ppa.com and look at the lists. I'm listed under Certified and under Craftsman. So you can look to see if you can find the names. If you do ... they are still certified. If not there ... call PPA and ask for certification.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, PPA Liaison, Cr.Photog., ASP
    floryphotog@mindspring.com

Default Trademark

Howard,

Also, under the PPA site, if you look under the consumers tab, there is a link to report trademark abuse. If you click on the link, it is a quick online form to report trademark abuse.

Jackie
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

― C. JoyBell C.

Jackie, Craig,

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. Please rest assured that I am very careful when dealing with somebody else's reputation. However, in this case, I was not able to find the photographers who claim to be CPP (and in two cases a Master), in the current PPA membership directory!

While I do not go out of my way to police these matters, this just fell into my lap. A videographer friend in another part of Illinois sent me a copy of a wedding magazine with her ad. Out of curiosity (since I primarily photograph weddings) I checked out the photography section and noticed a large number of CPPs advertised and a logo I didn't recognize which turned out to be the Master Photographer logo.

Knowing, in Illinois, with thousands of photographers there are less than 100 CPPs (at last check) and according to PPA, CPPs account for 3% or less of the photographer population, something seems strange when over 50% of the ads display the CPP logo and 25% of the ads display the Master Photographer logo.

Now I understand there might be a legitimate reason such as a local association which pushes certification so I investigated further. My first stop was both the PPA and the Certification Commission websites. When I couldn't find either the photographers or the studios in either list, I started this thread looking for further guidance.

As one who has already earned my CPP and recently been awarded my wedding endorsement, I do not want the value of my or anybody elses accomplishments to be diluted by those who may be falsely claiming rights and honors not due to them.
    Last edited by Howard_Kier; 05-13-2006 at 06:07 PM.
    Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Kier
    I was not able to find the photographers who claim to be CPP (and in two cases a Master), in the current PPA membership directory!
    Howard,

Please pass on your information to PPA headquarters, either via phone or email.
    PPA takes these issues very, very seriously and we aggressively pursue them.

Howard,

All my dealings with PPA regarding Certification have been with,

David Mithofer
    Manager, Member Services

Mithofer, David (PPA) [dmithofer@PPA.com]

I let him know of an indivudual claiming to be certified and wasn't, he took care of it.
    Don
    M.Photog., Cr., CPP, D.C.Ph.

www.donchick.com