Image Submission - "statement of purpose" - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Image Submission - "statement of purpose"

Categories don't have to be finely divided. If you have pictures of brides and grooms and weddings, categorize them as "weddings." "Portraits" include babies, children, seniors, maternity, et cetera. "Commercial" includes pictures of things for sale. Don't try to get too specific--it's not necessary.

"Purpose" is likewise best done generally. You don't have to give reasons why you took it or even who you took it for. Don't go into any explanations about the clients. The judges are looking at your pictures. Most images should not really need explanation. A cute picture of a baby or a lovely bridal exists for its own sake--it needs no explanation or backstory.

And for heaven's sake, don't try to explain any of the technical aspects...you might have a different idea from the judge's of what you were trying to do, and the judge might have been satisfied with what he thought you were trying to do.

You're not a writer, you're a photographer.

Most importantly: Think of the portfolio as an audition. You're trying to show your very best efforts. Every image should be chosen as an example of some facet of your mastery of photographic craft. Let's say you specialize in natural lighting. That's okay. But your portfolio should show some excellent backlighting with reflector fill, some twilight "sweet light," some examples of using natural reflectors and gobos, some subtractive lighting, the ability to correct the green-gray light reflected from foliage, et cetera.

Yes, that means you should be exhibiting that level of work for your clients.
    Last edited by KirkDarling; 03-03-2011 at 01:59 AM.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

Default Re: Image Submission - "statement of purpose"

Quote Originally Posted by Howard_Kier View Post
    Susan,

I don't believe a portfolio will be rejected based on the statement of purpose UNLESS, the statement identifies the photographer. You want the reviewers to understand the reason the photo was taken and perhaps the conditions faced.
    True, yes. It can be rejected if the statement of purpose doesn't tell the purpose of the image. For example, "Sweet Cheeks" as a statement of purpose for a chubby baby closeup doesn't explain why the image was created. Or, if there is no statement of purpose. Or if the statement doesn't tell you why the image was created.

Also, going into the statement of purpose too much can be detrimental. Saying you chose a 30mm 1.2 lens for a portrait because you wanted to 'blur the background' in one image says that you don't understand the right lens selection for portrait work and that you were more worried about the background than the proportions of the subject. Especially when the next image says you have a 70-200 f4.0 chosen for a different reason.
    Jackie Haggerty
    M.Photog.Cr., CPP

www.jackiehaggerty.com

I have come to accept the feeling of not knowing where I am going. And I have trained myself to love it. Because it is only when we are suspended in mid-air with no landing in sight, that we force our wings to unravel and alas begin our flight. And as we fly, we still may not know where we are going to. But the miracle is in the unfolding of the wings. You may not know where you're going, but you know that so long as you spread your wings, the winds will carry you.

― C. JoyBell C.