New memeber and overwhelmed!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default New memeber and overwhelmed!

Hi all! I am a new member and this Imaging stuff is overwhelming!
    Any tips, etc for me? What to see when to get there, all that great stuff
    Also, I will be needed a roommate as well.

Thanks!

I am excited!

Pam

Default Re: New memeber and overwhelmed!

Just be really careful when advertising for a roommate on this forum - Remember - you are not in a "members only" section, so you don't have any idea who is responding to you. It might be better if you at least know or meet in advance with whomever you decide to share a room with... but, then again, I might be just a bit paranoid or a little too overprotective of our members... If you know them, it's cool... If it's another first time poster... I'd be cautious... But that is just me...but I used to teach ladies self defense classes many years ago, and I live in New Orleans, so my perspective may be just a bit warped ... but then again, San Antonio is also not New Orleans...
    Last edited by Rick_Massarini; 08-15-2010 at 08:37 AM.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Wear comfortable shoes. The trade show is huge and you will be on your feet for hours. Take some cereal bars or some fruit. It's usually hard to find a quick, cheap or good healthy place to eat, especially for breakfast when you are in a hurry to get going. Take a point and shoot camera, you won't want to lug your real equipment around with you all day but there are things you might want a snapshot of to help you remember. Every booth in the trade show will want to load you up with printed materials. If it's something you are really interested in write a quick note on the front of the catologue before you toss it in your bag. When you get back to your room at night sort through the stuff and toss what you don't want right away. If you lug it all home it will be overwhelming and you will never remember what vendors you really were interested in. While the classes are good, allow yourself enough time to just wander through the trade show and print show which will be just as educational as attending a class. Sign up for the mentoring in the print show. Even if you are not interested in entering print competition right now ( but you should be!) it's still chance to get a one on one consult about your work with some of the most successful photographers in PPA. On the way home go over in your head the 3 or 4 key ideas you want to implement immediately. My first boss always told me "3 things in 3 days". He said if you try to implement more then three new things right away it will be overwhelming and if you don't do it within three days you never will. So we still try to do that even after 30 years in business. There will be way more then three ideas you want to use, but my point is prioritize the changes you want to make and then get started on it right away.

Have fun and look me up.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Pam, I just saw that you are from Texas. Will you be attending SWPPA convention in TX next month? If so be sure to introduce yourself, I am judging there. I will only be there Friday and Saturday.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_A_Howe View Post
    Pam, I just saw that you are from Texas. Will you be attending SWPPA convention in TX next month? If so be sure to introduce yourself, I am judging there. I will only be there Friday and Saturday.

Keith
    Keith, I will be at SWPPA! It will be my first time to attend that convention as well. Where/how might I find you?

Thank you for all the pointers!

Hi Keith!
    How exactly do you sign up for the mentoring in the print show, and what size/how many prints should I bring? I am excited about attending as it will be my first time as well.

What Keith said about bringing something to eat is important - it reminded me that at the last convention in San Antonio, there was only a single small snack bar in the Convention Center and the lines were very long.
    The best way to gain for yourself is to give OF yourself.
    - - - So get out there and volunteer for something ...

Rick Massarini, M. Photog., Cr., CPP., F-PPLA
    PPLA Past President; 97th Recipient PPA Directors Award
    ASP SouthWest District Rep. & ASP Convention Booth Chairman

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the 3-Things technique too. At the end of the class, during the wrap-up (usually during the "buy my stuff" part) I write 3 things+ from that class on the inside front cover of the notebook. (3 to 6, but no more, or you won't do em'!)

Might I also recommend... BYOCM (bring your own coffee maker!)
    STEFF (not StePH)

Stephanie Millner Cr.Photog., CPP

main site | destination pets | blog | facebook | fan page

Ah, to live like the Italians... with extremely little to do.
    12.01.09 - Viva la Roma!

Thank you everyone for all the tips! I'll be sure to wear my sneakers and bring some snacks and lots of notebooks.
    I like the 3 in 3 idea too. I'll have to give it a try.

Pretty much what everyone else said.

* I highly recommend the print mentoring. It is definitely one of the highlights for me.

* Print exhibition - so much inspiration there. Schedule time on several different days to browse.

* Choose your classes ahead of time. Don't go to someone just because they are a big name, choose content which you feel will be helpful. Don't be afraid to choose something outside your 'norm', it may help you grow new ideas.

* Don't feel as if you have to implement an idea just because someone is doing it. Listen and garner ideas to implement in your own way.

* I really like the smaller half sheet spiral notebooks. I use the Mead 5 star because they have pockets and are easy to carry around. Now is a great time to pick them up on sale.

* Take a bag to carry around the tradeshow. You'll need it for all the goodies...and yes, definitely cull through before you go home.

* Map out the vendors you know you want to visit. You will receive emails in the week or so prior with specials.

* Snacks, snacks and more snacks. Food is usually limited, not that great and expensive.

* Allow yourself time in the evening to process everything you've heard and seen during the day.

* Have fun and meet new people.

I hope you have a great experience.

Chontelle
    Chontelle Brown, CPP

http://www.cottonblossoms.net