Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Regional Competitions

After 15 years in the photography business I finally decided that joining the PPA was the thing to do. What I want to do now is see where I stand within the community by entering some of my work in competitions. Can someone help me find a regional competition or any competition for that matter that will give me the chance to put some of my work to the test? My studio is in Western Kentucky so that puts me in the Southeast region if that helps.

Default Re: Regional Competitions

Pretty sure you'd be SEPPA region, but they're re-districting this year. SEPPA is in March I believe? Anyway, here's the website.
    www.4seppa.com
    STEFF (not StePH)

Stephanie Millner Cr.Photog., CPP

main site | destination pets | blog | facebook | fan page

Ah, to live like the Italians... with extremely little to do.
    12.01.09 - Viva la Roma!

Thanks for the reply Stephanie. I checked out the link but still no mention of district competitions. I would have thought all PPA approved competitions would be listed on the website here but I can't seem to find any.

Clarify what you mean by "district" competition.

I assume by that you mean what used to be called your regional competition. Since you live in Kentucky that would be SEPPA and I'm pretty sure that is in March this year.

There are now five districts that offer this level of competition. Since you have not competed before I would try and find something on the state level first before you just jump in and don't understand the process. That will save you a lot of frustration.

Check the Kentucky website and see if there are any local affiliates near you. Super Monday in coming up in October and there may be a program close to you that may help.

I entered my first competition in 1992 and I wanted to do exactly what you are looking to do. But before you jump in you need to test the waters a little and understand how to prepare and present your entries. Not sure who is president of the KY association but Dave Huntsman can surely point you in the right direction for what you need.

There's a tutorial on the KY website too about the 12 elements of a merit print that is downloadable. Definitely worth a look to give you some idea about competition prints.

A lot of good info here on the forum from a couple of affiliate judges who can look at your entries and give you some good pointers too.
    Joe Campanellie
    CPP, M.Photog., Cr., Fellow-ASP

www.campanellies.com

Hey Joe. I meant Regional. I was just typing as I thought and district jumped out of my head. I've read the article on here about the 12 elements of a Merit Print and found it rather informative as to what to expect.
    I'm the "do it now" kinda guy so when I decided to join I was hoping to jump right in and start honing my skills. I guess I was a bit disappointed when I got on here, saw the competitions link, followed it and said "That's it?" I was expecting to find at least quarterly competitions scheduled for each state or region. I did manage to find the Summer Shootout competition but though it's a PPA event it's not listed under the competition link. Not sure if that's an oversight or if it's because it's a non-merit event.
    I'm not looking to sidestep the learning process or anything of that nature, I'm just anxious to start my journey and the best way to start any journey is to determine where you are now.
    As for now I'm gonna stop typing long enough to begin my search for the Kentucky site and see if it offers me more information than the SEPPA site did.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

That's ok. They used to be called regional competitions. I think the "official" name for them now is districts. The district competitions as well as the national competition are only annual competitions.

I think the next district competition is Southwest which is in September sometime if me memory serves me correctly. Not sure if you could enter that competition or not since it is technically not your district. You might want to talk to either Dennis Craft or Michael Timmons about that. Dennis is the national PEC chairman and Michael is the assistant chair unless things have changed.

If you're dying to get your feet wet state level may be the best bet. Not sure what KY does. I was lucky when I first started entering. Maryland at that time had five monthly competitions plus our annual competition which gave you plenty of time to put your prints in front of the judges.
    Joe Campanellie

www.campanellies.com

PS...here's the link to the new district map: http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international.php

You might be able to find a competition in a neighboring state. Some state conventions do have "out of state" categories in which you can enter at their annual convention.
    Joe Campanellie

www.campanellies.com

Thanks Joe. You've been more of a help than you may know. Your quick and straight forward responses let me know that there's knowledge to be gained here. More importantly it tells me that people are willing to share that knowledge. You represent this organization well and I look forward to picking your brain again in the near future.
    Greg Yager CPP

"Be prepared to lose anything you are not willing to share" - me

Just fyi, Seppa is in Athens Ga March 26-28. www.4seppa.com
    Cheri MacCallum
    CPP, M. Photog., M. Artist, MEI, Cr., GFD, Ph. Artist
    Painter Portraits for Pros and Fine Art Printing Services
    http://www.artbycheri.net/proserv.html
    www.artbycherifineart.net
    http://artbycheri.typepad.com/art_by_cheri/

You're welcome to pick away...just not sure how much is left up there after all these years. But when it comes to print competition I guess most folks would say I'm a good example of a competition junkie...!

Had my share of success...and failures so hopefully some of us can help you through the rough spots without making all the same mistakes we did in the beginning.
    Last edited by Joe_Campanellie; 08-15-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    Joe Campanellie

www.campanellies.com