Details on earning degrees
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Details on earning degrees

I really must say there isn't alot of detail on the 'specifics' of earning the degrees and it is like searching for a needle in a haystack. I just started competing 2 years ago and I finally contacted a friend who has been doing this for awhile to find out, since there isn't alot on the website. I know that for a Masters, or Master EI, you have to have 13 print merits in each and an additional 12 service merits for each. Craftsman is 13 speaking? and 12 service? I couldn't find any of this info on the website and had to ask. Fortunately, I am not shy so I had no problem with this but I do know alot of photographers hide behind their camera, and lack of ready info could be VERY discouraging to the more introverted. That is IF we want more people to enter print competitions and earn degrees (note the sarcasm).

Here are some of my questions:
    #1:Can you use 'speaking' points towards your 'service' for another degree if you aren't going for Craftsman any time soon? (I know you won't be able to reuse them later)
    #2: There is nothing about earning a gold bar for your Masters. I found out you have to have 25 additional merits to earn this. Are these print merits or service? If you have your Masters and are going for your Master EI, I assume you have to place the merits towards either Master EI or your bar and they can't go towards both? Do you have to have all three 'degrees' before you can earn towards your bar?
    #3: The Imaging Excellence Award is for 13 loan prints. Can they be loans in both PO & EI or would that be 2 different 'Excellence"awards?

I am 2 print merits and 4 service from earning my Masters and just wondered what direction to head into next with future merits earned.

Thanks!
    Tracye Gibson, M. Photog.
    www.Tracye.smugmug.com
    Talent is the ability to do hard work in a consistently constructive direction over a long period of time" - James Whistler

Default Re: Details on earning degrees

Quote Originally Posted by TracyeGibson View Post
    Here are some of my questions:
    #1:Can you use 'speaking' points towards your 'service' for another degree if you aren't going for Craftsman any time soon? (I know you won't be able to reuse them later)
    The extra 12 merits can be any kind - they don't have to be service. So yes you can use speaking merits toward your Master's or you can use extra print merits over 13 if you have them.

#2: There is nothing about earning a gold bar for your Masters. I found out you have to have 25 additional merits to earn this. Are these print merits or service? If you have your Masters and are going for your Master EI, I assume you have to place the merits towards either Master EI or your bar and they can't go towards both? Do you have to have all three 'degrees' before you can earn towards your bar?
    The gold bars are for 25 additional after your degree - in any combination of print/service/speaking merits. If you have a Master's and are working toward Craftsman - or vice versus obviously you would not want to use up any merits on a gold bar. Unless say you were working toward a masters and you had 37 speaking merits above and beyond what you used for your craftsmen. You would have 25 to use on a gold bar and still have the 12 "other" merits you would need for the Master's once you earned 13 print. No you do not have to have all three degrees before you get gold bars. Some people never speak or never enter but still earn gold bars toward which ever degree they do have.

#3: The Imaging Excellence Award is for 13 loan prints. Can they be loans in both PO & EI or would that be 2 different 'Excellence"awards?
    Imaging Excellance can be any combination of loan prints. I earned mine with a combination of photographic open prints, art tech prints and EI prints. So no, there is not a seperate Imaging Excellance award for each degree. Once you get the Imaging Excellance award you can earn a gold bar with a diamond in it for an additional 13 loan - 26 total loan prints. It's a pretty small group that has that bar.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Thank you soooo much Keith! I am going to write all of this down and share with my guild. I know we have newbies that are confused and have the feeling there are some old timers that don't know either!

BTW, I am going to set my goal for the Imaging Excellence gold bar with the diamond!....guess I need to earn my Master's first but I just need 22 more loans!...ok...so it might take me awhile.....
    www.Tracye.smugmug.com
    Talent is the ability to do hard work in a consistently constructive direction over a long period of time" - James Whistler

Wow, Tracye, LOVE your digital artwork!!!

Trayce,
    Dont forget there is also a photo 50 bar for when you have 50 print merits.

I know you have specific questions that Keith answered, but most questions are covered here....http://www.ppa.com/findaphotographer/degrees.php

Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Thanks Kim & Jeff!
    Obviously it has been awhile since I checked back with the forum.

Hey Jeff, is the Photo 50 bar in addition to 'just' getting 25 more merits in whatever field?
    www.Tracye.smugmug.com

Tracye
    THe photo 50 bar is given when you get a total of 50 print merits.
    Jeff
    Jeff Dachowski M.Photog Cr.CPP A.C.ph
    PPA Approved Juror
    Upcoming events:

Photoshop 101
    Sacramento
    San Jose
    Seattle
    Portland
    Minneapolis
    Oklahoma City
    Washington DC

www.DachowskiPhotography.com

Avatar by 2008 Diamond photographer of the year-Don Chick

Can it be a combo of EI and Masters prints?
    www.Tracye.smugmug.com

Can it be a combo of EI and Masters prints?
    Yes

FWIW they don't give you a second 50 bar when you go over 100.

Keith
    Keith A. Howe
    M.Photog.,M.Artist, Cr.,D.F.Ph.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_A_Howe View Post
    Yes

FWIW they don't give you a second 50 bar when you go over 100.

Keith
    I wonder if they'll start handing out world series of poker like Bracelets.

Better yet, Superbowl style Rings!
    Last edited by Marc_Benjamin; 08-31-2010 at 06:43 AM.
    -Marc Benjamin, M. Photog. Cr. F-PPC
    marcbenjamin.com