New comp rules.....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New comp rules.....

just how free can we be on building thick layers and odd shapes for PPA print compatition?

Smile New Competition Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Kienast
    just how free can we be on building thick layers and odd shapes for PPA print compatition?
    Hopefully I understand your message correctly - help me if I didn't.

If you are asking about electronic entries, only the Album Competition category will be opened to electronic entries in 2006, and the rules/guidelines are still in the process of being finalized.

If you are asking about layers on a print submission, such as mounts, sub-mounts, etc. PEC is still encouraging entries that are within the 1/8th-5/8ths thickness rule. Entries that are too thin or too thick or that are odd shapes (circles, etc.) create difficulties in handling and hanging the print exhibit and could mean damaged entries. If your entry exceeds those limitations, or if it's an odd shape that might not be secure on the racks at the exhibition, it will still be judged and will still be eligible for Loan, and the merits will still be awarded if the entry is successful. However - if the entry will be endangered because of size or shape we can not hang it in the exhibition.

Hope that helps!

Craig,
    For individuals that do not hold the PPA Master of Photography Degree recognition, the image that they enter may be any size or shape provided it is mounted on a 16" x 20" presentation mount board. The limitation on the board thickness is not taken into account at the time of judging, but rather at the time of presentation at the International Exhibition. The rods used to hold the images will accept no greater than 3/8" in thickness and images that are too heavy to be supported by the rods or that are too thin and bow within the rod supports will not be exhibited. That is why PEC recommends a minimum thickness of 1/8" to maximum thickness of 3/8". Presentation mount boards that are made of wood, metal or glass will be disqualified from the competition.

Once you earn the designation of PPA Master of Photography, you are no longer bound by the 16" x 20" presentation limitations. Again, images maybe of any size or shape provided the presentation is a minimum of 80 square inches to a maximum of 480 square inches with the longest dimension being 24". Given this requirement a PPA Master of Photography could enter a photograph that is 8" x 10" or 3.5" x 24" all the way up to a 20" x 24" presentation. The same thick or thin guidelines apply as well as the mount material restrictions. In addition the rods that hold the photographs at the Internatioal Exhibition require that there be a flat surface on the bottom and top of the presentation, so circles, ovals and possibly triangles could be entered and merited but would not hang in the exhibition.

I hope this answers your questions with enough detail.

Sincerely,
    Don Mitchell
    PEC Administrator

Default so in theory

I could enter an image on a 16x20 foam core....multiple layers.....of tissue and the like amounting to a print that at its thickest point was....?....3 inches thick....

and all wavy and ameba shaped......and it would get judged.....merited...in theory....and even Loan....but NOT be presented to the public....

right?

Default Masters submissions?

Why are Masters allowed to enter larger images? From what I saw in Kerrville,
    most of thier entrys scored in the high 70's and were then voted into merit
    after some debate. Seems to me that thier entries should stand-out without the added TELL of the image size.?? I think this needs to be rethought.

rg

Default Masters Sizing difference

I'd like to see the rule changed to everyone must submit a 20 inch print. If you want it square great. if you want it long and skinny that's ok too.
    I've wondered why masters can have odd sizes also. I thought that the whole idea of a 16x20 to begin with is that the judges needed to see that the work would still look sharp enlarged. You can hide a lot of sins in an 8x10. I'm also not a personal fan of digitally adding a matte to a panoramic.

Well, my take on PEC is that as a non-master, you're in a "learning" mode to "master" your image making capabilities. Confining the General Competition to 16x20 boundries levels the playing field for all entries working towards the degree. There's been some incredible creativity using these boundries. IMHO, entrants should not think of this boundry as a hinderence, but take a positive approach as a creative opportunity!

But, I must say, that the Masters category is fun! But I'm glad I've earned that right to the 24 inch rule. Now, if only they can open this up a little more, we've got these image transfers on fabric frescos we'd love to whip on the PEC judges (Joyce Wilson saw it, and is gaga over it).

One of the twelve elements of a merit image is presentation. If a 3" thick mount enhances the presentation of the image and at least 4 of the 6 jurors that sit on that international panel judge the image to be worthy of a merit, then yes it will receive a merit and then be judged for loan. Because of it's thickness however.I would not be able to hang it at the Imaging USA Convention. I would be very careful before you start going crazy with mats. All too often I have heard a juror state that a mat overpowers the image and because of that the image did not hang.

If I remember the reason for the size difference between Masters and non-Masters, I believe that Masters were given a little more liberty in order to encourage continued participation from Masters. Until recently, once you received a Master of Photography Degree recognition, PPA had no further recognitions.

The Photographic ExhibitionCommittee will continue to evaluate competition rules and adapt them to new trends and technology. Three years ago PEC reduced the maximum size for masters from 30" down to 24" to better facilitate the handling at both the competition and exhibition. After spending the last two years testing the judging of albums and individual images utilizing electronic submissions, PEC has adopted for 2006 a new rule that will allow albums to be submitted digitally. (DVD or VCD)

Is there a correct size or shape image for entry into a PPA Print Competition.... I wuld have to say yes. The correct size or shape is one that enhances to the overall presentation. A 4" x 5" Polaroid emulsion transfer would probably not be enhanced by a 24" presentation mount board. An oil or acrylic enhanced illustrative portrait , like the one that scored 100 at the recent Western States Competition, would not have had the same impact as an 8"x 10" circle composition. Judges are not always perfect but with there being 6 judges on a panel, the ability to challenge an image up or down in score, and the ability to send the image to another panel for consideration, the PPA judging system is as close to perfect as is humanly possible. In addition, PEC is continually evaluating the jurors performance at the Regional and International level and is now requiring continued education for a juror to remain qualified. PEC is making every effort to keep the judging system a consistent and positive experience for our members.

Keep entering and keep growing.

Sincerely,
    Don Mitchell
    PEC Administrator

Default Print Quality

I have noticed that the blacks in competition prints are no longer black. The images printed digitally have alot more flexibility in terms of presentation but the blacks are not solid. Under bright lights there is no comparrison to traditional prints. Does this effect the scoring or is it the industry standard now? Which brings me to my next question. What qualifies as an electronic image? Most of the prints in competition now have been electronically created. Is there any difference in the two catagories anymore? Just wondering - David

Hi David,

As I understand it, the EI images are judged souly on the work done to the images - much like the Art/Restoration. The image may, or may not be the entrant's creation. In the print competition, the actual photographer gets the credit for the image, even though the photographer may, or may not have done the artwork. This has always been the case in the past, where the photographer took the image, but the lab artist did the retouch/enhancements. Michael
    Michael Gan,M.Photog.Cr. CPP,
    Meritage House of Photography

If your business depends on you, you don't own a business-you have a job. And it's the worst job in the world because you're working for a lunatic... You can't close it when you want to, because if it's closed you don't get paid. You can't leave it when you want to, because if you leave there's nobody there to do the work. You can't sell it when you want to, because who wants to buy a job?
    —Michael Gerber
    http://www.meritageonmain.blogspot.com