Question

Thread: Question

Default Question

Hi all,
    I want to take the cpp test in May. I have been studying but some questions are way beyond my brain power . So if any of you could help me understand this question it would greatly appreciated. Here is the question I just got it off the sample questions I don't understand it.

A particular filter used with black and white film calls for an exposure reading of 1/8 second at f/32 will require a new exposure of?

Thank You,
    Misty Cromer

Default Re: Question

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Cromer View Post
    Hi all,
    I want to take the cpp test in May. I have been studying but some questions are way beyond my brain power . So if any of you could help me understand this question it would greatly appreciated. Here is the question I just got it off the sample questions I don't understand it.

A particular filter used with black and white film calls for an exposure reading of 1/8 second at f/32 will require a new exposure of?

Thank You,
    Misty Cromer
    There seems to be some information missing, Misty. Did the question identify a "factor" for the filter?
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

Kirk,
    I'm sorry I was still half asleep. Let me ask again. A particular filter used with black and white film calls for an exposure factor of 8X. Applying this factor to the initial exposure reading of 1/8 second at f/32 will requie a newexposure of?

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Cromer View Post
    Kirk,
    I'm sorry I was still half asleep. Let me ask again. A particular filter used with black and white film calls for an exposure factor of 8X. Applying this factor to the initial exposure reading of 1/8 second at f/32 will requie a newexposure of?
    Okay, there are two things to figure out in this question. The first is to convert the filter factor to stops of increased exposure. The filter factor requires eight times more exposure. Increasing exposure by one stop is a 2x increase. So first think of how many stops would equal an 8x increase.

The second part is the tricky part. You must closely closely examine the combinations they give you in the response choices and compare each to "1/8 second at f/32" to determine which gives you the necessary number of stops of increased exposure.

Because the shutter speed in the question is already so low, and because the aperture is so small, the correct answer is likely to be one that widens the aperture...but you should examine each one. To get the necessary increase in exposure, the responses may either decrease the shutter speed or widen the aperture--or a combination of both. Or some could be completely wrong and actually decrease the exposure.
    --Elephants can swim...
    ...and very gracefully.
    Knowing that,
    I do believe
    Anything is possible for me.

Kirk Darling, CPP

Misty,

Off topic PM sent.

Roger
    Roger Williams, CPP
    www.Tranquility-art.com Portrait/Wedding
    www.TAP-Online.net Sports when time allows

Kirk,
    Thank you for helping me. I will have to study more.

Roger,
    I sent you a pm back.

Thank You Again,
    Misty Cromer